Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Image Re-size Functionality

Fizz

Whats your thoughts?

Can give the names of the other forums im referring to if you want to get an idea.

When you link to a URL picture, if it is larger than a set size limit it will be downsized but if you click on it, will show you the full pic in all its glory.

:yes:

Sounds like a great idea, especially for those still on dial up. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great idea, especially for those still on dial up. :thumbsup:

Im sure with you living in the Yaris community this would be ideal for you... :lol::thumbsup:

Cheeky sod! :P

It may be a little car but I've seen some very big pics of it. :lol:

Being a dial up type myself.......I fully agree, big pics are a killer. ( as are sigs, animated avatars etc........)

The Sera forum has this auto thumbnail thingy, it's a good move. Broadband has certainly got a lot to answer for ! :P

Im probably stating the obvious here to you Rich but there are a couple of switches in the board settings where you can turn off the Avatars and Sigs should you want to. :)

Your probably already aware of this but thought i would point it out just in case. :thumbsup:

Way ahead of you there mate. I've been running 'trimmed' forums for so long that I hardly remember what my own sig is !

If you do this, make sure you do it right ;)

The easiest way to do it is to just constrain the image to a set size when its displayed... That's all well and good and stops large images from trashing the forum layout, but you still download the whole thing so it doesn't actually save any bandwidth.

To do it properly you have to create a thumbnail of each uploaded image on the server and display that instead of the original. Bit of a fiddle (although there's probably a board mod to do it somewhere) and will use a fraction more CPU time on the server, but save on bandwidth.

If you do this, make sure you do it right ;)

The easiest way to do it is to just constrain the image to a set size when its displayed... That's all well and good and stops large images from trashing the forum layout, but you still download the whole thing so it doesn't actually save any bandwidth.

To do it properly you have to create a thumbnail of each uploaded image on the server and display that instead of the original. Bit of a fiddle (although there's probably a board mod to do it somewhere) and will use a fraction more CPU time on the server, but save on bandwidth.

Oh I hate that though. The arty farty threads would wear out my mouse.

Is there not an option in windows to resize your images?

Drives me mad tho when a picture is smaller than its meant to be because the resolution clashes and you lose detail.

Oh I hate that though. The arty farty threads would wear out my mouse.

Thumbnail was probably the wrong word :) Both ways of doing it would look the pretty much the same, a smaller version of the pic (big enough to see, but small enough that it doesn't do what Jimlad's baby pic did to the forum layout ;) ) that you then click on to display the full size version if you want. Maybe even have the size selectable in your control panel, so the bandwidth challenged can have really tiny thumbnails and people with mbps to burn can not bother with it at all :P

IE can automatically resize pics to fit its window, but it does it in a rubbish (but fast) way so they tend to look bad, same way as constraining the image size in the HTML itself actually.

Ah, with you. Yes, that sounds like a great solution if it could be done here. :thumbsup:

IMOC use a great one... they have a set limit which it resizes in the thread then once you click on the image it then opens a new window to show the full unrestricted picture.

Its where i saw it originally a few months ago but only got round to suggesting it. :)

That works the same way as the one on PistonHeads (where I've seen it before) though... You still have to download the whole image, it just downloads the full thing and then constrains it to a smaller size.

If you find an image on there that's from a slow server you can see it working, the image starts off big and then gets resized once it has all been downloaded. Doesn't help people browsing on dialup at all I'm afraid, does stop huge images from messing with the way the forum is displayed though :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links