Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking For Corolla Sportivo Friends

spiz

hi guys,

I've had a sportivo since 21st june and it hasn't been problem free - like I thought toyota's are supposed to be. I overheard some toyota service ppl complaining today, quote " ......... it's another one from south africa ......", so I spent some time looking at the car very closely. There seems to be some QA problems, and I want to find somebody else in Perth that I can meet to compare our cars. So if you're from Perth, add a reply or send me a personal message.

anyway, tomorrow I'm getting my windscreen replaced (because the current one leaks) which is why my flasher relay was short-circuited hence, indicator lights stopped working.

best regards,

Spiz.

Hi

What colour sportivo do you have mine is silver and got it July 31st. I have not had any probs as yet and hope I will not. People can bag South African production as much as they want but they will be surprised that most BMW and Mercs in Aus are probably imported from South Africa and perhaps even the VWs.

So what exactly did you want to check out and which dealership did you buy it from

Regards

JP

I had my car for almost one week.. and *touch wood* so far no problems...

what kinda things do u wanna check ? i can take pics if you want...:)

G'day,

I hope your SA made rolla doesn't have any more problems, I have mine on the way, Ink* black one with darkest leagal tint.

I live in Melbourne, hope to see all you guys one day for a curise.

-------------------------------------

Daniel

The only quality problems I have had so far is the left front electric window control surround is :daggy" it was replaced under warranty but is only slightly better. I had the current model corolla but an asscent with sportivo body kit and from a build diffrence the quality is the same.

thanks for your replies guys :)

I'm very bussssssy at the moment which is why I haven't replied to anyone. but I will when I get 5 minutes to spare.

When the sportivo first came out, I went to 4 different dealers and had a close look. I noticed differences in the car back then, which is why I've always thought they are a bit suss. for example some said "built by Toyota Motor Corp. South Africa" and others just "Toyota Motor Corporation - Japan", which is the way toyota usually marks the cars that are made in japan.

anyway, accourding to the VIN, they were all made in SA.

I'm busy at the moment 'cause I've been making formal complaints about my corolla to toyota, at all levels - local, state and australia wide.

I'll give you guys more details later.

have a nice weekend.

Spiz.

Let me know how you go.

I am also from Perth so if you still want to compare yor more than welcome.

I have not had any problems as yet but then again I have only had my car for around 2 weeks. It has already done the first 1000km service and all seems fine.

Thanks

Onthebrink

Hi all,

I am from South African and bought a RunX RSI which is exactly the same as your Corolla Sportivo except we don't have that ridiculous spoiler kit. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Otherwise the car is identical.

You okes, are the limit, for the record, most of the BMW's, and VW's are manufactured in South Africa. Quality is in line with the best as your cronies from that side are always doing quality control audits. :eek::eek::eek:

I believe that that my car is put together very well as I have always driven a toyota performance product and it gets driven hard from the 1st km and my cars are kept for +/-250 000km without any problems. :yes:

This is not to say that it is the best quality car, but from a pure value for money point of view, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Cheers

Charles

Hi all,

I am from South African and bought a RunX RSI which is exactly the same as your Corolla Sportivo except we don't have that ridiculous spoiler kit. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Otherwise the car is identical.

You okes, are the limit, for the record, most of the BMW's, and VW's are manufactured in South Africa. Quality is in line with the best as your cronies from that side are always doing quality control audits. :eek::eek::eek:

I believe that that my car is put together very well as I have always driven a toyota performance product and it gets driven hard from the 1st km and my cars are kept for +/-250 000km without any problems. :yes:

This is not to say that it is the best quality car, but from a pure value for money point of view, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Cheers

Charles

Hi,

I agree with you and my first comment was the same. Most BMW, Merc and VW are produced in SA for Australian Market it is cheaper and less lead time than Germany.

As Australia is only importing 100 RunX RSi per month there will always be a few with minor probs. and I guess it is just luck of the draw.

Can you send me some photos to compare ours with yours. What ridiculous spoiler don't you have??

I think the spoiler is rather nice I just hate the name SPORTIVO sounds real Aussie adding an 'O' to any name. RUN X or T-Sport would have been much better.

By the way do you know how much a RUN X Badge would cost in SA.

I am originally from Cape Town. But lived most of my life in Mauritius & Australia.

Thanks

Hi all,

I am from South African and bought a RunX RSI which is exactly the same as your Corolla Sportivo except we don't have that ridiculous spoiler kit.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: Otherwise the car is identical.

You okes, are the limit, for the record, most of the BMW's, and VW's are manufactured in South Africa. Quality is in line with the best as your cronies from that side are always doing quality control audits. :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Cheers

Charles

Hi,

I agree with you and my first comment was the same. Most BMW, Merc and VW are produced in SA for Australian Market it is cheaper and less lead time than Germany.

As Australia is only importing 100 RunX RSi per month there will always be a few with minor probs. and I guess it is just luck of the draw.

Can you send me some photos to compare ours with yours. What ridiculous spoiler don't you have??

I think the spoiler is rather nice I just hate the name SPORTIVO sounds real Aussie adding an 'O' to any name. RUN X or T-Sport would have been much better.

By the way do you know how much a RUN X Badge would cost in SA.

I am originally from Cape Town. But lived most of my life in Mauritius & Australia.

Thanks

Hi On the brink,

Send me your e-mail address, and I will send you a few pics.

But I have enclosed a pic below, hope it comes out

Cheers

Charles

charles.warrenhansen@kpmg.co.za

post-40-1061218221.jpg

Hi

The "ridiculous spoiler kit" :D is available as an optional extra for the SA RUNX RSi. Just check on www.toyota.co.za.I would love those side skirts as we don't have them available her for the 5-door model in the UK.what are the dimensions[length] for the RUN X..the middle bit as shown in the brochure?The TSport's is 2600mm.

Cheers

Ant[Ex-Capetown]

thanks onthebrink, srr and peekay34 for your replies :)

I've had a few problems with my car so far, here they are:

#1. headlights were not aimed properly from the factory. for the first few nights oncomming traffic was getting blinded :arrgg-matey:

#2. leaking windscreen. water comming in into the dashboard.

#3. missing 1 (out of 4) retainer clip for driver's side side skirt.

#4. missing 6 (out of 8) rubber plugs in side skirts.

#5. HUGE FRIGGIN' DRIVELINE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The entire drive-shaft getting changed today!!!!!!!!!! I had this problem since day one. 'cause I hadn't driven a manual car for ten years - I forgot what normal smoothness was. my sportivo felt very 'jerky' if you know what I mean. anyway, toyota has got my car for 2 days so I got a loan car - a brand new echo. I can't even begin to compare how smooth the gearbox puts the power from the engine to the wheels. makes my sportivo feel like a piece of sh*t.

#6. the same dashboard vibration problem that the british built car has. something arround the cd player vibrates at about 4,000rpm. this started after I had done 2,000 km, just like everybody else :(

#7. my car's cold startup idle has changed. for the first 8 weeks it used to idle at 1,600rpm when you first start it, and then slowely (and smoothly) slow down to 1,200rpm over 3-4 minutes. eversince last wednesday, when toyota had my car for the whole day, it's incosistant. today it started at 1,200rpm. btw, it's not to do with the ambient temp.

#8. ????? who knows. but I'm sure it comming soon.

Q. can somebody that knows about the mechanical side of things give me an opinion as to whether or not they think that all the jerking caused by a 'loose' driveshaft would have damaged any other parts of my drivetrain while I've been driving for the last 8 weeks?

have a nice day,

spiz.

thanks onthebrink, srr and peekay34 for your replies :)

I've had a few problems with my car so far, here they are:

#1. headlights were not aimed properly from the factory. for the first few nights oncomming traffic was getting blinded :arrgg-matey:

#2. leaking windscreen. water comming in into the dashboard.

#3. missing 1 (out of 4) retainer clip for driver's side side skirt.

#4. missing 6 (out of 8) rubber plugs in side skirts.

#5. HUGE FRIGGIN' DRIVELINE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The entire drive-shaft getting changed today!!!!!!!!!! I had this problem since day one. 'cause I hadn't driven a manual car for ten years - I forgot what normal smoothness was. my sportivo felt very 'jerky' if you know what I mean. anyway, toyota has got my car for 2 days so I got a loan car - a brand new echo. I can't even begin to compare how smooth the gearbox puts the power from the engine to the wheels. makes my sportivo feel like a piece of sh*t.

#6. the same dashboard vibration problem that the british built car has. something arround the cd player vibrates at about 4,000rpm. this started after I had done 2,000 km, just like everybody else :(

#7. my car's cold startup idle has changed. for the first 8 weeks it used to idle at 1,600rpm when you first start it, and then slowely (and smoothly) slow down to 1,200rpm over 3-4 minutes. eversince last wednesday, when toyota had my car for the whole day, it's incosistant. today it started at 1,200rpm. btw, it's not to do with the ambient temp.

#8. ????? who knows. but I'm sure it comming soon.

Q. can somebody that knows about the mechanical side of things give me an opinion as to whether or not they think that all the jerking caused by a 'loose' driveshaft would have damaged any other parts of my drivetrain while I've been driving for the last 8 weeks?

have a nice day,

spiz.

Hi Spiz,

Sorry to hear about your hassles.

Seriously, I think u should ask for a new car.

These type of problems lead me to believe that this is a DUD which not indicative of the SA built RunX.

My Run X has no rattles, whatsoever except for when you are at 7000rpm in 4th gear doing about 180km, there is a slight vibration because of the high rpm, but no loose part eminating a rattle.

The idling cannot be set as the computer sorts this out, no overide. Mine idles at 800 when hot and 1100 when cold consistently

Are you sure, this car was new when u received it, possibility of it being damaged (smashed by dealer on a joyride) before u took delivery.

U need a expert on your side to examine the car's bodywork to obtain further clarity.

Cheers

Charles

South Africa

2003 RunX RSI 2400km on the clock

Hi guys,

onthebrink, check your mailbox 'cause I sent you a personal message.

Charles, thanks for your comments. For the 4 days that toyota had my car last week, I had a 1.5 litre echo as a loan car. Appart from these two cars, I haven't driven a manual in more than 10 years. During these 4 days I thought that the echo's gearbox was incrediably smooth, quiet and fun to use.

My sportivo on the other hand is not. Even after changing the driveshaft and cv joints (and whatever else they changed) I find it hard to make a smooth shift without concentrating. Is this normal for a sports engine and gearbox combination? I was told by the service people that I shouldn't be expecting the levels of smoothness that the echo's drivetrain gives. Is this true?

btw Charles, can I really ask for a new car? Has anybody asked for one before and got it?

Best regards,

Spiz.

....1.5 litre echo as a loan car. Appart from these two cars, I haven't driven a manual in more than 10 years. During these 4 days I thought that the echo's gearbox was incrediably smooth, quiet and fun to use.

My sportivo on the other hand is not. Even after changing the driveshaft and cv joints (and whatever else they changed) I find it hard to make a smooth shift without concentrating. Is this normal for a sports engine and gearbox combination? I was told by the service people that I shouldn't be expecting the levels of smoothness that the echo's drivetrain gives. Is this true?

btw Charles, can I really ask for a new car? Has anybody asked for one before and got it?

Best regards,

Spiz.

Spiz,

Sorry to hear about your cars problems.

I find the sportivos gear box is smooth and is effortless (even though its frantic on the occasion). One of the best I have drivin.

I also have drivin the echo, and find the sportivo is smoother and quicker.

Good luck!

-----------------------------------

Daniel

I find the car is reasonably smooth but the gear box changes very notchy and sometimes hard to change. Any one else had this problem My Sportivo has now done 4770 KM.

I find the car is reasonably smooth but the gear box changes very notchy and sometimes hard to change. Any one else had this problem My Sportivo has now done 4770 KM.

I occasionally had problems putting it into gears (it just wouldn't want to go :blink: ) but after about 2,000 km I never had this problem again. Considering you have already done nearly 5,000 km, I think you might have a problem.

Call your local Toyota dealers and find out who has a demo sportivo and then go take a test drive. Better still, make some local friends and meet up and test it out.

I have driven two different sportivos so far, both with about 2,000 km on the odo. I noticed that with mine there's just a little resistance when downshifting from 2nd to 1st at low speeds (<10 km/h) but with the other sportivo, there's heaps of resistance - nearly impossible.

Spiz.

• 3 months later...

I hope we are talking about the 6 speed box. I have a rattle at 5200rpm from the gearbox. This started at about 2000klm. The dealer first said it was the cables, after replacing cables the problem still existed. Toyota came out or so I am told and said yep the box is not well. It was very sloppy and sometimes wouldnt go into gear. They said they would replace the box. 3 weeks later the dealer had the car for 2 days and replaced the gearbox but the new one was so stiff it wouldn't change gear so they broke the original one apart and found that the syncro's were loose. They tightened the sycro's and said all is well. 5 minites after I picked the car up the rattle was still there at 5200 and above. Again very sloppy to change gear. Took the car back today and got the service manager to come for a drive, I can reproduce the problem at will. Gee he said it wasn't there yesterday when we took it for a test drive.

Waiting to hear beack from toyota now.

Ive had my stevo for 4000k's and the gearbox has settled in nicely, although not the smoothest, it feels strong, especially when changing from 8200rpm. I had one problem but that was from a bad batch of fuel where the car was way down on power, smoothness, and this resulted in a very hard to change gearbox, and when it hit lift it never went into a higher gear. I changed fuel brands and it's never been smoother. Mobil synergy 8000 :thumbsup:. Just be easy on the clutch, you hardly have to tap it.

Spiz what dealer have you had your car at ?? Ive had a few lil probs with my Stivo most of all the way the leather was wearing on the drivers seat... They are going to replace that.. But most recently I developed a significant tick in the Valve train... (11200kms)...

Im not a noob when it comes to performance cars.. Ive had nearly 50 cars since I started driving.. Most of these, rear drive aussie v8 machines.. I know a valve train problem when I hear one..

I had a stand up argument with the service manager at the dealership who refused to accept there was a problem with the vehicle.. I sounds like there is to much clearance on a valve or similar... AND IT GETS LOUDER DAILY !!!

How hard did you have to push to get any resolution of your problems ?? I went to hell and back with my last car (Holden).. So Im not in any mood to do this with Toyota....

Spiz what dealer have you had your car at ?? Ive had a few lil probs with my Stivo most of all the way the leather was wearing on the drivers seat... They are going to replace that.. But most recently I developed a significant tick in the Valve train... (11200kms)...

Im not a noob when it comes to performance cars.. Ive had nearly 50 cars since I started driving.. Most of these, rear drive aussie v8 machines.. I know a valve train problem when I hear one..

I had a stand up argument with the service manager at the dealership who refused to accept there was a problem with the vehicle.. I sounds like there is to much clearance on a valve or similar... AND IT GETS LOUDER DAILY !!!

How hard did you have to push to get any resolution of your problems ?? I went to hell and back with my last car (Holden).. So Im not in any mood to do this with Toyota....

well best of luck Exec6speed

I've only been to Morley Toyota with my probs. I've been there about 10 times and am not getting anywhere. Morley Toyota (not Toyota Australia) are the ppl I'm having trouble getting to fix my car, therefore I can't give you any tips.

I've been trying to get a few things fixed since august (still nothing fixed yet) and now I'm so tired of it all. I wish I never bought this car - should of spent $5,000 more and got a honda euro (car of the year in japan) 6 speed v6.

Anyway morley toyota have a few bright mechanics, so go and see what they have to say.

You can call me on 9474 2450 if you want to ask anything else.

• 3 months later...