Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Water Leak

kman1

Mine is a 2002 1.0GS 5DR. I've only owned it for a short time. I was investigating a damp smell and internal condensation and found the passenger foortwell to be thoroughly soaked. My car doesn't have air con or a sunroof. The bodywork is in good condition with no accidenet damaged etc so I'm a bit puzzled as to where so much water could have come through from? any ideas?

Possibly 2 areas to look at:-

1. Windscreen sealant - If it's been replaced at some point.

2. Harness grommet - In engine bay, large round grommet to bulkhead. Check it is fully seated.

Other than that, there are no other potential leak paths if you have no A/C or sunroof.

Just be careful that you dont have things like antifreeze rolling around in ur footwell. My mate had a bottle of the stuff from Halfords ( in a bottle like the flash bottles, not spray can style). He thought he had a leak from his passenger door, but since i removed the offending leaking bottle there's been no complaints. I also had the same type of anti-freeze in my boot, and the other week i found a damp patch in there . . . obvious where that came from then!! I now keep it wrapped up in a plastic bag, doubt it'll do much until i use it, but it hasnt been cold enough for frost :lol:

Anyways, I doubt this is the problem you have. I'm sure someone will b along soon who can actually give some HELPFUL advice :D

Vicky

If you taste the water ( not much, just dip your finger in it ) and can ascertain that it's not coolant then you've got an external leak. I'd get it checked out. It could be something as simple as a grommet missing, or something more sinister.

There's a thread in the Rav4 forum about water leaking in.........it's a genuine fault with his car - sadly it's not quite resolved for the poor guy !

The chances are its the drain hose from the aircon which has become kinked.

Check under the dashboard on the passenger side and also behind the glovebox (you squeeze in the sides when its open and pull - it should open a bit further and can then be lifted off its hinge).

Good luck,

A

Mine is a 2002 1.0GS 5DR. I've only owned it for a short time. I was investigating a damp smell and internal condensation and found the passenger foortwell to be thoroughly soaked. My car doesn't have air con or a sunroof. The bodywork is in good condition with no accidenet damaged etc so I'm a bit puzzled as to where so much water could have come through from? any ideas?

The chances are its the drain hose from the aircon which has become kinked.

Unfortunately not that simple this time :(

Damn! RTFP Alan... :oops:

Okay, silly suggestion... If you park your car facing the popposite direction does it still happen? It may be the wind being blown down the side of the door seals. Unlikely I know, but :unsure:

A

If its not the windscreen sealant, what about the heater matrix? Does your heaters still work properly?

Winscreen looks fine, heater works lovely. I've had a look at the grommets where the harnesses pass through the bulhead and they look fine too. Coolant levels are normal.

Could be behind the front wing then, I know of a few where we've had them off and poured water over the joints and its been seeping into the cockpit of the car.

Hi There,

Don't forget the old Phase 1 favourite which nobody seems to have mentioned (Apologies if they have!!) The Aerials on Phase 1 Yarii sometimes have a dodgy seal on them, and when it rains the water runs down the aerial cable and does 1 of 2 things:

1) it goes into the back of the radio if the water has travelled inside the coax cable from the roof, and sometimes causes the radio to go funny.

2) it runs down the outside sheath of the cable and where the wire kinks to make its way back upto the radio unit, water drops off and goes into the passenger footwell.

I'd go for the latter myself, but it might be something to look at next time it rains - See if there is any moisture on the aerial cable at the back of the dash.

Just a thought!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

Don't forget the old Phase 1 favourite which nobody seems to have mentioned (Apologies if they have!!) The Aerials on Phase 1 Yarii sometimes have a dodgy seal on them, and when it rains the water runs down the aerial cable and does 1 of 2 things:

1) it goes into the back of the radio if the water has travelled inside the coax cable from the roof, and sometimes causes the radio to go funny.

2) it runs down the outside sheath of the cable and where the wire kinks to make its way back upto the radio unit, water drops off and goes into the passenger footwell.

I'd go for the latter myself, but it might be something to look at next time it rains - See if there is any moisture on the aerial cable at the back of the dash.

Just a thought!! :thumbsup:

Still struggling with this one, I lifted the carrpet and the amount of water in the footwell was astounding! The rubber mats under the carpet had absorbed a considerable amount of water. I still cannot fathom where it might be coming from.

Just noticed that the rear passenger footwell is also water logged!

Open doors on drivers side and jet water from hosepipe around passengers side doors windscreen and tailgate.With carpets removed.Watch through open doors for water ingress.Bet it's ill-fitting door/window seal.

Or, if you're feeling really brave, take it through the scratch-and-wash and have a good look while you are sat in it, run your fingers round the edges of the doors on the passenger side etc and see if you have anything knocking around!

Also, might sound like a daft thing, but check the boot to make sure something hasn't tipped over, or rolled under the back seat. Mind you from the sounds of it, you have a pond in your car so that would have evapped off by now!

• 1 month later...

Could be behind the front wing then, I know of a few where we've had them off and poured water over the joints and its been seeping into the cockpit of the car.

Looks like mine is the same issue. Did a hose pipe check and it's seepin in from the nearside, hard to say eaxacly where but it appears to be at the joints. Do I need to get the wing off? what was the fix?

i had this problem the other week. turned out to be a gromit behind the wheel arch which was letting water in. took it to toyota and they sorted it. they also wanted to charge me 5 hours labour to dry my car out, told there where to go and stripped the car out myself

SP_A0021.jpg

i had this problem the other week. turned out to be a gromit behind the wheel arch which was letting water in. took it to toyota and they sorted it. they also wanted to charge me 5 hours labour to dry my car out, told there where to go and stripped the car out myself

SP_A0021.jpg

Was this under the wheel arch liner or engine side?

Spent some time on thsi today and am still struggling to locate the leak though I know it is from the nsf wing area. This is the first toyota I've owned and I'm not impressed are they just shoddily built?

Seems that you guys forgot that there is a hole in a Yaris's passenger footwell!? (sorry if I miss read the posts)

Look at the very edge of the carpet close to the firewall, there is a hose that runs from the dash through the floor and to the outside. Check if that hose is mis-located to point inside of the car, letting the water soak inside of the car.

I will take a pic in a min to show you guys what I mean, as I am so bad at explaining :P

Here comes the pic:

yaris_passenger_footwell.jpg

Oh, and remember that water may also come from the outside too, if the hose is not correctly seated in the hole.

I have the hose as in picture but it doesn't connect to anything lime in yours, is it something to do with air con? my car doesn't have air con.

It's starting to look like the water is eeeping in through the body seams. When I spray water under the wing, you can see the water seep in but only a few minutes later not immediatley. Is it a question of just resealing with body seal sealer?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links