Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hulux-suft Smoking!

Log-man

Hi all,

New to this site being the new owner of a hilux surf 4x4, and already having problems! Can some-one help me?

I have a Hilux-Surf 4x4 2.4 ssrx.(automatic). When I take off, or when it's pulling up a hill at low revs, before changing up it belts out black smoke.

I have put a ball-bearing in the EGR, I have put in SDT engine cleaner, the local garage will have a look for £50, but I'm a bit nervous about that route! Any ideas? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Reg

blank off the egr valve totally and try running it with no air filter , if it gets better put a new clean air filter back in .

EGR.jpg

blank off the egr valve totally and try running it with no air filter , if it gets better put a new clean air filter back in .

EGR.jpg

May be that ball bearing wasn't enough......So first thing in the morning I'll try blanking off the valve and taking out the filter. Fingers crossed, and thanks!

you could also try taking the egr valve off and giving it a good soak in petrol or carb cleaner , if even as a last resort.

Tried that and it made no difference :(

the smoking does not affect performance. Does anyone know how to decrease the pump, turn the pump back? I think this could be the problem?

it maybe the pump timing is out half a tooth , your injectors are worn or blocked and dripping rather than spraying . check for error codes using the advice here http://www.bba-reman.com/auto-mine/problem...d%20diagnostics

basically you join te1 and e1 with a bit wire turn the ignition on and watch the service light for flashes.

not sure if you can !Removed! the timing by moving the pump pulley on the surf one way or the other , but there are screws in the pump which calm down how much fuel enters the pump itself.

i have the toyota epc , if its a uk model i could look into it and send you pictures of the mixture screws location. i'd need the chassis number - if its an import id need model and frame numbers. HTH.

try this always works with mine get the tank down to 1/4 put 1/2 a litre of red x for diesel in and then get the engine up to normal running temp the drive it like you stole it for 5 mile.

also most of the them smoke to some degree pulling away with a bit of welly

try this always works with mine get the tank down to 1/4 put 1/2 a litre of red x for diesel in and then get the engine up to normal running temp the drive it like you stole it for 5 mile.

Tried this, and no change, so I am going to try and cut the pump back 1/4 turn tomorow and see if that helps. I don't use it for speed, just pulling. May be the former owner opened it up to get it to go faster?

I'll let you know what happens! Thanks for your help!

Reg

Tried this, and no change, so I am going to try and cut the pump back 1/4 turn tomorow and see if that helps. I don't use it for speed, just pulling. May be the former owner opened it up to get it to go faster?

I'll let you know what happens! Thanks for your help!

Reg

Well, when I went to ajust the pump, I saw that my surf engine doesn't look like the one in the picture. The ajuster screw cannot be found! So I couldn't do that!

The engine number is 2L 345785 And the frame number is: LN130 - 7049363.

I have put the air filter back in as that made no difference either. Are all Surfs as smokey as mine, or is it because it's an import? It'll never get an MOT!

Reg

mine s a 3 ltr and dont smoke at all . why not ask over at www.hiluxsurf.co.uk for help .

mine s a 3 ltr and dont smoke at all . why not ask over at www.hiluxsurf.co.uk for help .

Managed to find the injecter pump screw adjuster, turned it back, the thing was WIDE open! Now I have no smoke and I'm saving a fortune on fuel! Lost a bit of power, but I didn't get it for speed.

Thanks for your advice!

Reg the Log-man.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links