Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 99 Onwards...

Froston

Hi im pretty new to celica's but im interested in getting one in the next few months...

now i would like to get the 189bhp 2ZZ-GE engined celica but looking on autotrader i cant tell the difference between the 1ZZ engined 140 and the 2ZZ celica. I dont want to end up buying a 140bhp! lol

so what are the aesthetic differences? tell tale differences?

thanks. nick.

Externally they can be the same - Wheels, Spoilers etc as the 140 can have all the extras put on and look like a 190 (not a TS)

Just ask them, or look at the rev counter and where the red line starts, 140 is a standard 6500 ish and 190 is 8500 ish.

Just ask the dealer.

Also check the engine bay and if the engine says VVTLi on it, you got a 190.

thanks!

so all 190's say VVTLi ? ive seen loads of celicas on autotrader that say "VVTi 190" whats that all about??

thanks!

so all 190's say VVTLi ? ive seen loads of celicas on autotrader that say "VVTi 190" whats that all about??

Fairly certain that these wont be the 190 as the engine is the VVTLi engine L stands for LIFT and its the lift that helps put the engine to 189bhp. Unless of course its an error on advert/trader, you could always ask them to post a piccy of engine or rev counter.

VVTLi engines rev to rev to 8500 ish and rev counter will clearly show this.

If you test drive one and are still not certain just put your foot down in second gear, if the rev limiter kicks in at 6000ish its a 140 VVTi engine, if you get a nice kick and accelerate quicker and hit 8500 you know youve got a 190 VVTLi engine.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks!

Fairly certain that these wont be the 190 as the engine is the VVTLi engine L stands for LIFT and its the lift that helps put the engine to 189bhp. Unless of course its an error on advert/trader, you could always ask them to post a piccy of engine or rev counter.

VVTLi engines rev to rev to 8500 ish and rev counter will clearly show this.

If you test drive one and are still not certain just put your foot down in second gear, if the rev limiter kicks in at 6000ish its a 140 VVTi engine, if you get a nice kick and accelerate quicker and hit 8500 you know youve got a 190 VVTLi engine.

Ummm, sorry, a little bit of incorrect info there...

VVTi-190 pre-dates (and slightly over-laps) the T-Sport in age. The G7 Celica started with a base car, 2 engine options (140 - VVTi rated at 140BHP and 190 - VVTi-190 rated at 190BHP with the 'Lift'), and a whole load of 'style' options.

At facelift time (late 2001 / early 2002, I think) the T-Sport came out to replace the VVTi-190, giving the car better brakes, ESC as standard, some other stuff I don't remember, and a new leather interior.

The 140 Engine cuts out at 7,050 revs (approx). You'll feel pick ups at 4000 and 6000. Can't comment on the 190 engine cut point, but 8500 sounds about right, with pickups again at 4000, and lift kicks in at 6000.

Info it a bit late (sorry about that), but correct to the best of my knowledge! :thumbsup: