Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Programming Avensis T3-x Key Fob

Chris Be

Hi, when I bought the car it only had one master key, I have purchased a key fob that needs a new blade and then needs programing. Does anyone know of a company that can cut me a new blade and the sequence required to program a new key.

Kind Regards

Chris.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tczwoju

• Chris Be

• tom0k

• Nige_S

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, when I bought the car it only had one master key, I have purchased a key fob that needs a new blade and then needs programing. Does anyone know of a company that can cut me a new blade and the sequence required to program a new key.

Kind Regards

Chris.

I have the same problem, I have an Avensis 2.0D T3-X 2004. I've managed to purchase a blank key (736670-A) and also a remote fob on eBay. The blank key was £20 (quite rare) and the new remote fob £6.50 (more common, lots of used keys for sale). I've been told I can get the blank cut at my local locksmiths. I found these instuctions on the web for programming the fob for a Prius. It appears identical to less detailed instructions I found for an Avensis posted on this forum. I haven't tried this yet. I'll let you know if this works.

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position)

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done :)

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Remember : You only have a few seconds to perform each maneuver so don't waste time. You will know when you have done it right when you insert the blank key and the security light on the radio stops blinking. If it does not work, try completing the sequence faster, time yourself. And don't worry, if it doesn't work the first time, just do it again :)

**It is our understanding, according to the book, you can have 2 master keys and 1 sub key, however, we are aware of one gentleman who was able to program 4 masters and 2 subs. We currently have 3 masters and 1 sub.**

Kind Regards

Chris.

I have the same problem, I have an Avensis 2.0D T3-X 2004. I've managed to purchase a blank key (736670-A) and also a remote fob on eBay. The blank key was £20 (quite rare) and the new remote fob £6.50 (more common, lots of used keys for sale). I've been told I can get the blank cut at my local locksmiths. I found these instuctions on the web for programming the fob for a Prius. It appears identical to less detailed instructions I found for an Avensis posted on this forum. I haven't tried this yet. I'll let you know if this works.

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position)

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done :)

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Remember : You only have a few seconds to perform each maneuver so don't waste time. You will know when you have done it right when you insert the blank key and the security light on the radio stops blinking. If it does not work, try completing the sequence faster, time yourself. And don't worry, if it doesn't work the first time, just do it again :)

**It is our understanding, according to the book, you can have 2 master keys and 1 sub key, however, we are aware of one gentleman who was able to program 4 masters and 2 subs. We currently have 3 masters and 1 sub.**

Hi tom0k, :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the reply, I shall be very interested to know how you get on with firstly getting your blank key cut and secondly with the programming. Please let me know if it works and the sequence you use.

Any chance of letting me know where you bought the blank key from?

Kind Regards

Chris.

Kind Regards

Chris.

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

Many thanks for the reply, I shall be very interested to know how you get on with firstly getting your blank key cut and secondly with the programming. Please let me know if it works and the sequence you use.

Kind Regards

Chris.

Hi

I got the new key cut at the local locksmiths without a problem (cut from my remaining master key) - cost £3 - I then tried the programming as previously described - It partially worked in that the key is now recognised by the immobiliser and starts the engine OK - I still though have a problem with the remote locking/alarm working with the new key - Does anyone have any ideas on how I can synchronise the new key fob remote with the ECU? (The blank key is new but the fob unit was taken from a used cut key)

In answer to your question where I got the blank from - It was eBay - the seller had 2 for sale and were both sold - I used the search words toyota and blank - also got the used key from eBay.

Kind Regards

Chris.

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

Kind Regards

Chris.

Hi

I got the new key cut at the local locksmiths without a problem (cut from my remaining master key) - cost £3 - I then tried the programming as previously described - It partially worked in that the key is now recognised by the immobiliser and starts the engine OK - I still though have a problem with the remote locking/alarm working with the new key - Does anyone have any ideas on how I can synchronise the new key fob remote with the ECU? (The blank key is new but the fob unit was taken from a used cut key)

In answer to your question where I got the blank from - It was eBay - the seller had 2 for sale and were both sold - I used the search words toyota and blank - also got the used key from eBay.

Hi, glad to here you have partially avoided paying Mr.T vastly extortionate sums of money for a new key fob.

I have something on my PC that may help you and i'll send a copy to you tonight. Basically it's instructions on programming a key fob that I have just purchased off the internet. Would really appreciate it if you could keep me updated with how you get on.

Kind Regards

Chris.

Kind Regards

Chris.

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

Kind Regards

Chris.

Hi

Hi, glad to here you have partially avoided paying Mr.T vastly extortionate sums of money for a new key fob.

I have something on my PC that may help you and i'll send a copy to you tonight. Basically it's instructions on programming a key fob that I have just purchased off the internet. Would really appreciate it if you could keep me updated with how you get on.

Kind Regards

Chris.

Hi, as promised instructions I purchased via internet. :D

PLEASE NOTE I ACCEPT NO RESPOSIBILITY IF YOU DECIDE TO USE THIS PROCEDURE

Procedure

1. The vehicle should be in the following condition-A. The key is NOT inserted

in the ignition, B. The driver's door IS open, C. The driver’s door is

UNLOCKED.

2. Insert the Key into the ignition switch and then pull it out.

3. Press the Master Door Lock Switch 5 times from Lock to Unlock.

4. Close the Driver's door then open it.

5. Repeat step #3.

6. Now select the mode by inserting the key into the Ignition Switch and

turning it to the "Run" or "On" position. The programming mode is determined

by the amount of times you go from “key off” to the "key on" position

and back before pulling the key out.

A. 1 time is the "Add" mode. This is used only on some models and it allows

you to add a remote to the already existing remotes. The ECU confirms this by

locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.

B. 2 times is the second mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes

and allow you to program new ones. The ECU confirms this mode by

locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key

C. 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already

programmed to the ECU. It confirms this locking and unlocking the door

locks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded. If no remotes are

programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times. The ECU

will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.

7. Press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5

sec and then press either button by itself for 1 sec.

8. The ECU will perform the Lock/Unlock automatically to confirm that the

1st remote is stored by the ECU. Repeat step 7 immediately with another

remote and continue until all remotes are registered.

9. Shut the driver’s door and try all remotes.

FOR 2002+

Procedure

1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.

2. Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.

3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.

4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.

5. Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.

6. DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON

7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.

Apparently if the second option which sounds really simple does not work the guy I got the info from

suggests using the first option. Hope this is of help, keep me informed.

Chris.

Hi

I tried the above instructions, they were unsuccessful in programming the remote part of the key. The second part (2002+) only programs the immobiliser part of key.

I found and used these instructions on the web and THE REMOTE NOW FINALLY WORKS!!!!

Here's the link - Don't forget to also select page 2 for the final part of instructions

http://toyotasecurity.buypartsonline.biz/add1.html

Hi

I tried the above instructions, they were unsuccessful in programming the remote part of the key. The second part (2002+) only programs the immobiliser part of key.

I found and used these instructions on the web and THE REMOTE NOW FINALLY WORKS!!!!

Here's the link - Don't forget to also select page 2 for the final part of instructions

Hi, could you just confirm that you only have to use your new key with the secondhand transponder fitted for these instructions and that it is only the two pages you posted. I notice that there are lots of other instructions if I click on the tabs along the orange line at the top of the web page.

Many Thanks :thumbsup:

Hi

I can confirm it was a secondhand transponder used and then fitted into a new blank Shell key.

I tried these instructions first, you will still require a working master key:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

STEPS:

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute (flashing red thief light above radio should go out if programming is successful).

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done .

This partially worked, the key would start engine but remote/alarm part did not work.

I then tried the instructions from the link below and the remote/alarm part of key now works OK (key is now fully functional)

Hi

I can confirm it was a secondhand transponder used and then fitted into a new blank shell key.

I tried these instructions first, you will still require a working master key:

STEPS:

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute (flashing red thief light above radio should go out if programming is successful).

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done .

This partially worked, the key would start engine but remote/alarm part did not work.

I then tried the instructions from the link below and the remote/alarm part of key now works OK (key is now fully functional)

Cheers Budy :toast:

That's great and will save me having to pay Mr.T a wadd of dosh. :thumbsup: All I need to do now is find someone selling a blank key.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-3-BUTTON-REMO...230088471590QQi

Found the above link on ebay - This appears to be a complete key for Avensis

Thanks for that but not sure if it's the same as mine. On the blade of my key is the word Valeo and on the back is the number 736670-A. Do you have any idea if CE0123 DENDO 1512V that's on eBay is the same. :unsure:

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Like most of you, I've been trying to programme my new eBay key.

At first, the procedure that Tom0K posted didn't seem to work. The security LED was indicating that it was trying to do something, as it was blinking in a different way than normal for exactly 60 seconds and then return to the normal "blink". Tried this many times but with the same result.

I then thought that maybe there were too many keys programmed in and therefor it couldn't add another. So, I reluctantly tried the erasing procedure (was sh*ting myself in case my only working key was erased aswell!!).

After the "erasing" procedure, I then added my new key and it worked 1st time!! Thanks for the info Tom0k!!

My only issue now is that the remote buttons don't work. I've tried following the link above but can't see any info on it?? Can anyone remember how to programme the remote buttons on the key??

Hi mate,

I have te same problem with one key.I was wonder what you exactly mean.I was waiting for somebody like you (brave) to do this.You said it working fine.When you erase all key you mean even your only one was erased as well?I'm worry because I have got only one key and I was told in Toyota that the key which I have got from eBay can not be program.They do not know if it is ecu or this key.So which instruction did you used to erase all key and program new ones.My car is Avensisn 2003(new)2.00 litre petrol automatic VVti.Please give me some advise.

Best

Wojciech

I Used this to erase the keys :

The master key that you use during this procedure obviously doesn't get deleted. (At least it didn't when I did it!).

Then this to add the new key :

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done

For info, my car is a 2004 Toyota Avensis D4D T-Spirit.

The above only alows you to programme the immobiliser part of the key. Does anyone know the procedure to programme the remote buttons for the alarm and door locks???? The link in the previous posts doesn't seem to send you to any info on this??

Cheers.

Hi NIge,

Many thanks for info .I will try to do it tomorrow so I let you know,how I'm geeting on.

Best

Wojciech

Hey,

Good news,

I did like you said and it is working now!!!.I mean only starting engine but this is half success.How to program now the alarm and doors???I'm sure that I have seem something about it on our forum.Will check

Many thanks

Wojciech

Well done Wojciech !! :yahoo:

I'll have a look for the programming alarm/door lock for the remote buttons as well.

If you find a solution make sure you post it on here !!

Cheers,

Nige

Great news! I've succesfully programmed the key for the remote buttons :yahoo:

Thanks to Tom0K for pointing me in the right direction. Seems that it's the same as a Prius.

Here's the info (I have only tried and tested the "ADD" function) :

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

A. Add mode, used to add a remote to your Prius that is not currently registered.

B. Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.

C. Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your Prius.

D. Prohibit mode, to prohibit all remotes from operating the door locks.

All four modes start with these instructions:

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked, and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition twice. (leave key out)

3) Close and open the driver door twice. (leave door in open position)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once. (leave key out)

5) Close and open the driver door twice, then close the door.

6) Insert key into the ignition and leave it in the LOCK position.

A. Add mode:

A1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, then turn back to "LOCK".

A2) Remove the key.

A3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and 1 second later "UNLOCK" (just listen)

A4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

A5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

A6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step A4 with your second remote, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. Either you didn’t use the same remote in steps A4 and A5(not likely), or this remote was already registered.

The timing was off when you pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and then UNLOCK by itself. Immediately press the two buttons together and the unlock by itself again. Keep trying until you get the locks to signal once that you have been successful. Then if you have another remote to program, quickly press its' buttons as before, until you hear the locks signal once. When you are finished, open and close the driver door to lock in the programming.

R3) If no response, go back to step 1 near the beginning of these instructions.

B. Rewrite mode:

B1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, turn back to "LOCK" for 1 second, then back to "ON" for 1 second, and finally back to "LOCK" for 1 second

B2) Remove the key.

B3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK", 1 sec., "LOCK", 1 sec. "UNLOCK". (just listen)

B4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

B5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

B6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step B4, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. You didn’t use the same remote in steps B4 and B5(not likely).

R3) If no response, go back to step 1 near the beginning of these instructions.

C. Confirmation mode:

C1) Turn the key in 1 to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals for a total of 3 times.

C2) Remove the key.

C3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" in 2 second intervals. (just listen and count each set)

1 Set = You have 1 remote registered

2 Sets = You have 2 remotes registered

3 Sets = You have 3 remotes registered

4 Sets = You have 4 remotes registered

5 Sets = You do NOT have any remotes registered

D. Prohibit mode:

D1) Turn the key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals a total of 5 times.

D2) Remove the key.

D3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK" 5 times. (just listen and count each set)

D4) This will erase all previously registered remotes and cancel the wireless door lock function.

Here's also the link to the website that I found it : http://www.coastaletech.com/transmitters.htm

Happy Programming!!

Hey Nige,

I could not manage to wait till afternoon today so I did try on 6.30 on the morning before work. Guess what? .After few times It working now!!! Yupi,It must be done very quickly so it was a little difficult to rich that speed, he he. Today afternoon I will check if my alarm comes up properly with this key, just to be 100 %sure.

We save a lot of money…we can spend it for nice things.

Many Thanks Nige

Cheers

Wojciech

Hi Guys, tried to add my new key by following the instructions in the link posted by Nige S but no matter how fast I did the sequence the key would not accept the instruction. The red light above the radio would blink in a different sequence to normal ie: 2 blinks then 3 for 1 minute but then it would return to blinking once every 2 seconds approx. I tried the confirmation mode to see how many keys were registered using my one and only good key but this would not work either. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Chris :huh: PS the red light on the new key comes on when I push the buttons so I dont think it's the Battery.

Hi Guys, tried to add my new key by following the instructions in the link posted by Nige S but no matter how fast I did the sequence the key would not accept the instruction. The red light above the radio would blink in a different sequence to normal ie: 2 blinks then 3 for 1 minute but then it would return to blinking once every 2 seconds approx. I tried the confirmation mode to see how many keys were registered using my one and only good key but this would not work either. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Chris :huh: PS the red light on the new key comes on when I push the buttons so I dont think it's the battery.

Good morning Chris,

Regards to Your problem, I did try in my car to erase all registered keys and it took me about 30 minutes to do it(obviously the main key in ignition will not be erase, Me and Nige proved it) . I did not notice any changes in LED during this operation at all (maybe it is just me).I was not sure if it was works so after this I tried add my other key and again it took me about another 30 minutes to worked out the what speed must be. After while it was working so.. If you do this properly you will hear doors lock and unlock. I did not hear it few times, before I managed to do so If you do not hear means that you have to do it in different speed. But definitely it must be quick done .Try as many times as you can.

By the way, what car do you have? My car is Avensis 2003 VVTi.Maybe it is working for some models only?

Cheers

Wojciech

Hi Wojciech,

many thanks for the reply. My car is a 2003 53 reg 1.8 T3X VVTI Hatchback.

Hi Wojciech,

many thanks for the reply. My car is a 2003 53 reg 1.8 T3X VVTI Hatchback.

Hi Chris,

Let us know how you getting on.

Cheers

Wojciech

Kind Regards

Chris.

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

What happens when you erase all the keys, is the data on the master key erased also?