Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Programming Avensis T3-x Key Fob

Chris Be

Hi mate,

I did my programming and the master key wchich you have to insert in ignition will not be erased.At least mine and Nige was not.Just read few posts before.

Cheers

Wojciech

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tczwoju

• Chris Be

• tom0k

• Nige_S

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi mate,

I did my programming and the master key wchich you have to insert in ignition will not be erased.At least mine and Nige was not.Just read few posts before.

Cheers

Wojciech

Thanks a lot Mate! as soon as I had carried out the memory erasion sequence, I programmed the new key for engine start, and remote programming successfully fist time, it took no more than five minutes.

Hi mate,

I'm glad that you manage to do it.So maybe other guys will be more confident to do it as well.We did save a lot of money...Thanks Mr T.

Wojciech

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys only one question...

Is it possible to replace only the blade with a new uncut one?

• 4 weeks later...

it should be a standard blade, that can be cut by Timpsons or similar. is this what other people have done? - get a used key and swap the blade?

it should be a standard blade, that can be cut by Timpsons or similar. is this what other people have done? - get a used key and swap the blade?

HI ,

Yes you can go to any of keymaker and they will cut a new key.Then you have to cut off the part which you do not need and fit this to old case.I did use a glue just in case and it is solid.

Good luck.

Wojciech

really? i assumed you would take apart the fob and fit the blade as a sort of standard part. you need the hack saw then ?

really? i assumed you would take apart the fob and fit the blade as a sort of standard part. you need the hack saw then ?

Hi ,

No if you clever you can use a small saw for metal parts and you will get it.At least I did it and it looks like a new one.It is simple.I did buy second hand fob with old blade on eBay.I went to locksmith to make a spare one from my master one.Than I did match togheter a spare one and old one(from ebay)and cut spare one to the same lenght exactly with the same shape(to fit into a case)I did use a bit a glue and thats it.

Good luck

Wojciech

• 1 year later...
Hi Guys, tried to add my new key by following the instructions in the link posted by Nige S but no matter how fast I did the sequence the key would not accept the instruction. The red light above the radio would blink in a different sequence to normal ie: 2 blinks then 3 for 1 minute but then it would return to blinking once every 2 seconds approx. I tried the confirmation mode to see how many keys were registered using my one and only good key but this would not work either. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Chris :huh: PS the red light on the new key comes on when I push the buttons so I dont think it's the battery.

Hi i have been having the same problem as Chris.....i have got a 2004 Avensis T3-S....i have tried erasing the key and then reporgraming it but it still does not work...how do you know if the keys have been erased? also would you please tell me the full instructions on how to erase key

I have tried turning the key from lock-on 6 times then opening and closing the driver door 7 times....during this time my main key is still in the ignition in the lock position. is this correct. also when you open the door did you open it fully or just a little

Also when i turn the key from lock-on 5 times how do i end up in the lock position! because on the fifth time the key finishes in the on position

Please help! after doing it the flashin LED light does some weird flashing combinations before returning to normal after a while

• 1 month later...
Great news! I've succesfully programmed the key for the remote buttons :yahoo:

Thanks to Tom0K for pointing me in the right direction. Seems that it's the same as a Prius.

Here's the info (I have only tried and tested the "ADD" function) :

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

A. Add mode, used to add a remote to your Prius that is not currently registered.

B. Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.

C. Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your Prius.

D. Prohibit mode, to prohibit all remotes from operating the door locks.

All four modes start with these instructions:

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked, and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition twice. (leave key out)

3) Close and open the driver door twice. (leave door in open position)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once. (leave key out)

5) Close and open the driver door twice, then close the door.

6) Insert key into the ignition and leave it in the LOCK position.

A. Add mode:

A1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, then turn back to "LOCK".

A2) Remove the key.

A3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and 1 second later "UNLOCK" (just listen)

A4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

A5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

A6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step A4 with your second remote, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. Either you didn’t use the same remote in steps A4 and A5(not likely), or this remote was already registered.

The timing was off when you pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and then UNLOCK by itself. Immediately press the two buttons together and the unlock by itself again. Keep trying until you get the locks to signal once that you have been successful. Then if you have another remote to program, quickly press its' buttons as before, until you hear the locks signal once. When you are finished, open and close the driver door to lock in the programming.

R3) If no response, go back to step 1 near the beginning of these instructions.

B. Rewrite mode:

B1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, turn back to "LOCK" for 1 second, then back to "ON" for 1 second, and finally back to "LOCK" for 1 second

B2) Remove the key.

B3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK", 1 sec., "LOCK", 1 sec. "UNLOCK". (just listen)

B4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

B5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

B6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step B4, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. You didn’t use the same remote in steps B4 and B5(not likely).

C. Confirmation mode:

C1) Turn the key in 1 to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals for a total of 3 times.

C2) Remove the key.

C3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" in 2 second intervals. (just listen and count each set)

1 Set = You have 1 remote registered

2 Sets = You have 2 remotes registered

3 Sets = You have 3 remotes registered

4 Sets = You have 4 remotes registered

5 Sets = You do NOT have any remotes registered

D. Prohibit mode:

D1) Turn the key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals a total of 5 times.

D2) Remove the key.

D3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK" 5 times. (just listen and count each set)

D4) This will erase all previously registered remotes and cancel the wireless door lock function.

Here's also the link to the website that I found it : http://www.coastaletech.com/transmitters.htm

Happy Programming!!

I have to admit I have been very sceptic about it, but belive me or not it is working. I did manage to prgram set of master keys in Avensis T-Spirit, 04. Funy enough it did take me 5 min to do both. When I called Toyota main delare, in act of desperation, I have been quoted 0.5h of work on each key, which has been estimated to cost me £82.9 + VAT plus petrol or I should rather said Diesel. It is not the first time, when delar is takin' a peace (sorry if I messpaled smth.) But the bottom line is IT IS WORKIN' AND IT IS SAVING A LOT OF MONEY, thx guys, and please keep up good work.

• 4 months later...
Great news! I've succesfully programmed the key for the remote buttons :yahoo:

Thanks to Tom0K for pointing me in the right direction. Seems that it's the same as a Prius.

Here's the info (I have only tried and tested the "ADD" function) :

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

A. Add mode, used to add a remote to your Prius that is not currently registered.

B. Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.

C. Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your Prius.

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked, and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition twice. (leave key out)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once. (leave key out)

A. Add mode:

A2) Remove the key.

A4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step A4 with your second remote, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. Either you didn’t use the same remote in steps A4 and A5(not likely), or this remote was already registered.

The timing was off when you pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and then UNLOCK by itself. Immediately press the two buttons together and the unlock by itself again. Keep trying until you get the locks to signal once that you have been successful. Then if you have another remote to program, quickly press its' buttons as before, until you hear the locks signal once. When you are finished, open and close the driver door to lock in the programming.

B. Rewrite mode:

B1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, turn back to "LOCK" for 1 second, then back to "ON" for 1 second, and finally back to "LOCK" for 1 second

B2) Remove the key.

B3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK", 1 sec., "LOCK", 1 sec. "UNLOCK". (just listen)

B4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step B4, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. You didn’t use the same remote in steps B4 and B5(not likely).

C. Confirmation mode:

C1) Turn the key in 1 to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals for a total of 3 times.

C2) Remove the key.

C3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" in 2 second intervals. (just listen and count each set)

D. Prohibit mode:

D1) Turn the key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals a total of 5 times.

D2) Remove the key.

D3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK" 5 times. (just listen and count each set)

D4) This will erase all previously registered remotes and cancel the wireless door lock function.

Here's also the link to the website that I found it : http://www.coastaletech.com/transmitters.htm

Happy Programming!!

Many Thanks to Nige S, Successfully used the ADD feature for my Avensis 05 T3X

Remote bought via eBay, had key cut locally although it had plastic moulded handle, I then cut the metalwork to fit in fob, works great - imobiliser and door locks.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to thank the person who posted somewhere related to missing keys. I took your advice and contacted the previous owner and sent him a pre-paid envelope and a copy of my proof of ownership and he was more than happy to send the spare keys to me !!!

What a great bit of lateral thinking by the guy who posted that idea so thanks a lot, you've saved me £200 !!! :)

I'll be sending some vouchers to the previous owner as thanks !

BTW - I also managed to de-synch my alarm fob on my 1999 Avensis 1.8 GS. when changing the batteries.

To re-synch (even though the alarm was sounding) :

1. Open drivers door fully and leave open.

2. Insert the key into the ignition and turn to position ON ( the last position before actually starting the engine )

3. Wait 10 seconds

4. Press the unlock button on the remote key twice (while still in the ignition at the ON position).

5. You will hear the doors lock / unlock.

6. Use the unlock button on the key fob to turn off the alarm before you turn deaf ! :)

7. Job done

Just wanted to thank the person who posted somewhere related to missing keys. I took your advice and contacted the previous owner and sent him a pre-paid envelope and a copy of my proof of ownership and he was more than happy to send the spare keys to me !!!

What a great bit of lateral thinking by the guy who posted that idea so thanks a lot, you've saved me £200 !!! :)

I'll be sending some vouchers to the previous owner as thanks !

BTW - I also managed to de-synch my alarm fob on my 1999 Avensis 1.8 GS. when changing the batteries.

To re-synch (even though the alarm was sounding) :

1. Open drivers door fully and leave open.

2. Insert the key into the ignition and turn to position ON ( the last position before actually starting the engine )

3. Wait 10 seconds

4. Press the unlock button on the remote key twice (while still in the ignition at the ON position).

5. You will hear the doors lock / unlock.

6. Use the unlock button on the key fob to turn off the alarm before you turn deaf ! :)

7. Job done

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys, tried to add my new key by following the instructions in the link posted by Nige S but no matter how fast I did the sequence the key would not accept the instruction. The red light above the radio would blink in a different sequence to normal ie: 2 blinks then 3 for 1 minute but then it would return to blinking once every 2 seconds approx. I tried the confirmation mode to see how many keys were registered using my one and only good key but this would not work either. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Chris :huh: PS the red light on the new key comes on when I push the buttons so I dont think it's the battery.

Hi Chris (and everyone else),

Did you ever manage to solve this one? I have the same issue.

Doing the ADD sequence does exactly as you describe. After the ignition/door sequence (door 5 / ignition 6) I remove the master key and get a solid red led. I immediately insert the new key and turn to on. The LED starts blinking 2 then 3 for about a minute (slightly less) after which it returns to flashing once every 2 secs. I remove the key and open/shut the door. Key does not start car. LED continues to blink even when the key is in the ignition.

I have tried every speed possible from moderately fast, to extremely fast. Same LED sequence every time except when I purposely do it slow which leads me to think I'm doing it fast enough.

When inserting the new key, I have tried both turning the new key to ON and also leaving it on LOCK. LED blinks 2 then 3 for 1 min regardless which I do.

I have tried the erase sequence (door 6 / lock-on 7) and the red led above the radio lights for a second or so (as if to confirm this has worked - although I have no way of checking). Like you, the confirmation mode doesnt seem to do anything.

Local locksmith put both keys in his 'cloner' and both show as having the same transponder chip.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hi nevro,

I think the reason may be with the key fob you tried. I tried programming three key fobs and it was third time lucky. The first two just couldn't work howerver I tried. They was both installed with working Battery and the led did light up with I pressed the buttons. I could program the remote to work but they could not start the engine.

The third one worked first time I tried. I tried the first two again using the same methods. They just couldn't work.

All the three keys were Valeo type with the same serial number. I guess there may be something different in their chips. Hope my experience can be helpful to you.

• 4 months later...

hi all

this topic was very helpful and i have the cure to the above flashing led,at last.you need to open up the key fob and change the chip which is seperate from the printed circuit board and looks like a little magnet,i stripped the grey casing from my sub key and used the chip from it,so basically any toyota avensis key that has a chip can be salvaged for the chip and then programed to your car.hope this helps thanks all.

kev

Just wanted to add to this very helpful thread, saved me a bit of cash.

I had the same problem as some others have, in that the immobiliser chip wont register.

I bought another set of just the key internals, there is no obvious difference apart from a some numbers being different.

That chip registered first time.

And FYI if the chip is compatible with the immobiliser, there wont be any unusual led blinking sequence on the panel. When I was doing it I thought that I didnt do it right, but left it in for a minute anyway and then the led stopped blinking.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a 2004 Avensis Saloon.

I have an original key but lately it stopped locking the car remotely. The unlock button works ok though.

When I press the Lock button, the LED on the key flashes but nothing happens on the car.

I have changed the Battery in the key, but it made no difference.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this would be welcome.

Thanks,

Michael.

[/quote name=jayp' date='07 March 2009 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1236444340' post='862992]

Also when i turn the key from lock-on 5 times how do i end up in the lock position! because on the fifth time the key finishes in the on position

Jayp, I am hoping to do this soon and I note that the instructions were to turn fron on to lock five times not as you have stated. So therefore I assume you need to turn it to ON before starting the sequence.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks, and many thanks to all you who have posted on this thread so far.

I only got one key with my 56 plate Avensis T3-S (2.2 D4D) and finally managed to get a spare key programmed. I got a blank key "shell" from eBay for about a fiver, got it cut at Timpsons (£6.50). Bought a full key off eBay, unscrewed it and took out the FOB (which contains both immobiliser and remote transmitters) and put it in the new key Shell. This key programmed for the remote (Add mode) no probs, but wouldn't start the car whatever I tried (ie the immobiliser bit didn't work).

Got another key off eBay, and this time it worked first time! (I was getting quite good at the immobilser programming "dance" by now). I didn't find you had to be lightning quick, the 5 on-offs just need to be < 1 second each (you can hear something switching in the engine bay after 1 second switched to on - you've probably just got to beat that).

The 2 key fobs I tried seemed to have a "year" on them (you can only see this when you get the fob out of the key, got a little arrow by it - the outside of the keys were identical). The one that didn't work said 04, the one that did said 03 (older?), so go figure! Toyota must randomly switch the chips around year on year, so I can only advise keep trying different keys. (Hopefully you can flog the duds again)

The only other difference between the key programming might have been that I got the first immob programming wrong, gave up and got the remote working, and that meant I couldn't program the immob at all. (ie you have to do the immob successfully first, otherwise when the remote is programmed, an error gets flagged and you can never progam the immobilser) I think this is pretty unlikely though.

Here are the instructions that (finally) worked for me. Good Luck!!!

Immobiliser bit.................

I also tried the erase from this and it DIDN'T erase the key being used to do it (thankfully!)

STEPS:

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position)

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done :)

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Remember : You only have a few seconds to perform each maneuver so don't waste time. You will know when you have done it right when you insert the blank key and the security light on the radio stops blinking. If it does not work, try completing the sequence faster, time yourself. And don't worry, if it doesn't work the first time, just do it again :)

**It is our understanding, according to the book, you can have 2 master keys and 1 sub key, however, we are aware of one gentleman who was able to program 4 masters and 2 subs. We currently have 3 masters and 1 sub.**

**********************************************************************************************************************

Remote door lock bit.........

I did the confirmation mode first (validates the instructions, so gives you some confidence!). Then "Add", and finally (as concerned about valid keys still being out there somewhere) plucked up courage to do "Rewrite". All worked OK for me.

A. Add mode:

A2) Remove the key.

B. Rewrite mode:

B2) Remove the key.

C. Confirmation mode:

C2) Remove the key.

D. Prohibit mode:

D2) Remove the key.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the help from this thread ! £6 blank from eBay £25 used key from eBay £8 key cutting, much better than £170+ dealer wanted. 2007 Avensis.

I found I had to repeat whole process of adding key to imobiliser a half dozen times including the erase step, I was about to give up then it suddenly worked.

ERASE OTHER KEYS

Erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

ADD NEW KEY TO IMOBILISER

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position)

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute (flashing red thief light above radio should go out if programming is successful).

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done .

ONCE KEY STARTS CAR REGISTER THE REMOTE

Like others in this thread I only used the Add mode.

A. Add mode:

A2) Remove the key.

B. Rewrite mode:

B2) Remove the key.

C. Confirmation mode:

C2) Remove the key.

D. Prohibit mode:

D2) Remove the key.

• 1 month later...

Hello, has anyone tried this process on later models? I have an 08 Avensis T3 estate. I've been trying it out but got no sign it's working. I've done my old Discovery before so I know timing is important.

Cheers.

Dave.

• 3 months later...

post-32345-0-10099600-1325345036_thumb.j

A big thanks to all who have posted help here. I finally succeeded with immobiliser programming on my 53 regd Avensis D4D after using different keys to unlock doors and start engine for a long time - the start engine key used to unlock doors until the buttons got knackered.

The door lock programming worked for me ages ago, but I couldn't get the immobiliser part to work using two different keys. I bought another key and this worked first time, programmed the doors and had one good 'does everything' key.

I tried the older keys again (looking for a second 'does everything' key) with no luck.

The fob inside the key case has a white sticky label with differing numbers (on my four keys : 114.6, 174.3, 243.5, 335.3). I suspected it was a frequency in MHz that might have to match, but not so as my new and old working keys have different numbers.

To achieve my second working key I transplanted the immobiliser chip from my 'start engine' key to my 'door open' key - it worked.

To transplant :

0. Get a set of precision screwdrivers (pound shop or eBay)

1. Undo screw to remove fob from key case

2. Use a tiny flat screwdriver to prise open front / back of fob to reveal Battery and black Battery holder

3. Use a tiny screwdriver (more fiddly) to remove black Battery holder

4. Lift off green circuit board so you can see the front of the fob casing from the inside

5. In the corner of the plastic casing is a grey (almost) rectangular box. Looks like its part of the plastic casing, but your small screwdriver will prise it out. This is all the immobiliser bits - move it to a key that opens doors (dismantled as above).

6. Replace the bits as found, front / back of fob pushes together.

• 8 months later...

Dear all,

I have almost gone through all the posts and I appreciate the team work here. I own Toyota Avensis 2001 1.8 VVTi. I have only one remote key which is barely working at the moment. It works from outside of the offside front door at an angle but stopped working from any other angle or distance. I think its time to go for another replacement key fob. However, I found that this key would not work if I manually insert into the door key slot and turn. It would make some sounds, but it would not open fully. Any idea if I need to follow any of the above procedures to get the manual opening working. My remote locking may stop working any time now. Thanks for your help in advance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links