Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Clunking Noise?

stevo707

Just wanted some opinions on a clunking/knocking noise I am getting towards the near side front of the car. The car is a '92 Celica GTi by the way. I recently had the front anti-roll bushes replaced whilst the brake discs were changed in order to cure this noise, which was only a slight knocking at the time. But the noise has got worse - so I reckon it can't be the bushes. I took the car to a toyota dealer and they inspected it and the mechanic said he'd checked engine mounts, shocks, cv joints and couldn't figure where the problem was.

The knocking is intermitant and very noticable at low speed, not on steering or braking. A pal of mine reckons it is the shocks though. It has covered 150,000 miles and one of the rear shocks is weeping, so I guess, they could if original be getting tired. Anyone had a similar problem/noise?

I have something very similar on my '86 GTS 3SGE... Although I'm sure it's nothing to do with shocks. When I'm sitting in my garage with the windows down revving the engine to see how the car sounds, it makes sort of a rattle noise when I hold the rpm's steady. I also notice it when I'm driving around with the windows down and I drive by a parked car or something - the sound rebound back at me. I haven't really worried about it, it doesn't seem to affect performance. Althought my performance isn't great - I'm having that hesitating problem that plagues so many.

have you checked for any lose parts in the engine bay?

also worth checking all your suspension moutning points (to the turrets in the engine bay to the ball joints at the bottom), and if the spring is seated correctly.

ill have a look around my car later and see if theres anywhere else i can think of, and let you know (i havent got the same car but anythings worth a try i guess)

good luck

Thanks guys, I have to add that the clunking sound is not there when I'm parked with the engine idling - it's when driving so I can only think it's the something in the drive train or suspension/steering? The engine is still very sweet and pulls as good as ever. I'll check the engine bay though and suspension. :thumbsup:

well, my celica clunked when i got in from work...i knew it did it. i grabbed the rear wheel arch and yanked it it up and down ( the wheel arch for any sick little puppies out there :lol: ) - i think it could be the shocks or the bushes/bump stops but id need to dismantle it all to find out...which im not in a hurry to do.... need to get some dampers before i do that (because it needs it).

but try that on all four corners and see what happens

Thought I'd give you an update and let you know what the problem was.

The problem arised because I bought new tyres for the front, a different brand and the mechanic reckons with slightly wider tread than the front. This put extra pressure on the front wheel bearings and caused a whirring sound as the brake pads met the disc and pressure on the shock absorber which was very dry which caused the "clunk" sound. Anyway he tightened the main nut very slightly behind the front wheels about 1mm, sprayed the near-side shock and all I hear now is the purring of that 3sge once more!

I didn't have much cash at the time as I bought budget tyres - which seemed to start the problem - I won't make that mistake again!! I'l stick to the Uniroyals I've been using up 'till now.

I'b be tempted to check into the top of the shocker mounting, usually wheel bearings "grind" get it up on a jack whiz the wheel off and spin it by hand if your wheel bearing/hub bearings are shot then you can usually heard it grinding, as for the knocking sound try and find a bumpy track and give it a bit of grief in a couple of small pot holes, if the knocking sound is there when you hit the bumps then I would say top of suspension, however have you checked out the engine mountings/rubbers???

Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links