Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption Avensis 2.0

sbasu

I have driven my 55 reg avensis for the first 6 months. To my surprise the mpg on the car computer reads only 25mpg now. I generally do driving inside the town and have never managed beyond 28mpg.

Is this normal for a 55 reg 2.o avensis hatchback?

My 53 T4 always shows at least 35MPG on the computer. I have never had it go lower than that. On a warm day in summer it has shown 45MPG using supermarket non leaded fuels. I have used super unleaded and got 50MPG registered. Your 25MPG seems way out even for local runs.

I recon your mpg is not far wrong, I get about 31mpg around town (average 19 mph !) in an 1.8 VVti Avencis (02) model.

The consumption for the 2.0L petrol Avensis is, I think, quite poor. My '53 Plate Avensis t-Spirit gives me around 26 mpg for short journeys and around town. On the open road and long motorway trips, and driving with reasonable "go", I can get up to 36 or 38 mpg.

These figures are obtained from the built in computer and after 7,500 miles covered since new, I have no reason to doubt their accuracy. They just seem about right.

My previous car, a 170bhp 2.5L V6 Vectra, got only 1 or 2 mpg less for short journeys, but 30 or 32 mpg for long trips even using its excellent performance.

I think that the fairly poor consumption figures of the petrol Avensis is due, in some small measure, to the VTechnology of its engine that requires the maximum use of revs to get any sort of performance out of it.

This would, I believe, be improved by giving the engine a turbo like some of the rival marques that give much better low down pull for overtaking without significantly affecting the petrol consumption.

The diesel Avensis models achieve some of these improvements (but I personally still prefer a petrol based car).

That sounds about right. I get around 27-29 mpg around town but 35-40mpg on a motorway run. The engine isn't that bad - it just tries to give you what ask of it. Around town you do more stop-start driving and so need more acceleration but when cruising on a motorway the direct injection engine switches to lean-burn mode and uses a lot less fuel.

Driving into work today I had a thought... Most speedos (and therefore tachos) over-read by about 10%, when I compared mine to the speed indicated on a gps device it also proved be about 10% so I assume this would be the same across the range. Anyway, the average mpg computer on your sat-nav equipped car uses a gps callibrated measurement and not the tacho, so if you compare your average mpg with someone elses (who does not have a gps callibrated average mpg) it will always appear about 10% less. Therefore if you're getting 30mpg and a someone else in a different car is getting 33mpg, you're probably both actually getting the same.

Hiya,

I have a Mark 1 Avensis with the original 1.8 7A-FE engine, I'm getting 410miles to a tank, not sure in thats good or bad..

Tric

Driving into work today I had a thought... Most speedos (and therefore tachos) over-read by about 10%, when I compared mine to the speed indicated on a gps device it also proved be about 10% so I assume this would be the same across the range. Anyway, the average mpg computer on your sat-nav equipped car uses a gps callibrated measurement and not the tacho, so if you compare your average mpg with someone elses (who does not have a gps callibrated average mpg) it will always appear about 10% less. Therefore if you're getting 30mpg and a someone else in a different car is getting 33mpg, you're probably both actually getting the same.

that is VERY interesting.. didn't know about the GPS calculation on GPS cars

However, I calculate manually with brimming tank and reading the ODO (unless the ODO is GPS governed as well?) and my 1.8 always seems to return low MPG - around 25 around town and 32 on A roads with pretty average driving (in an Auto)... usually about 2.5 miles less than the trip computer reading.

Ooops, when I said tacho I meant to say ODO. So using the ODO to calculate your MPG will give you about 10% better MPG than you are actually achieving.

Hi Andrew

I'd be interested in your source of information for the "GPS calibrated speed measurement", beacause I have to fix these beasts when they go wrong, and I've never heard of such a system in use on a Toyota. The latest system of speed and distance measurement comes from the ABS sensors on each wheel. The ABS ECU collects the speed of each wheel and calculates an average, which is passed on to the instrument cluster where the speed is displayed and the distance counted up. The same instrument cluster is fitted to standard cars and those with Sat Nav. The Sat Nav is a stand alone system, running from a DVD somewhere in the car, and uses an antenna to collect the GPS signals and work out where it is on the ground.

The fuel consumption is calculated in the instrument cluster and displayed on the same screen as the Sat Nav. When we are trying to diagnose faults on the fuel consumption, we have to allow a 20% error before warranty will let us start changing parts. This is to allow for the difference in cicumference of new tyres against that of a worn tyre.

I run Sat Nav in my car. A Navman. Set to display road speed and compared to my speedometer, the difference is between 2 and 8 MPH. The difference varies over the speed range. At Navman speed of 70, my speedo reads 75. At navman speed of 50 my speedo reads 52, At navman speed of 80 my speedo reads 88.

Regards Ray

I read it somewhere in the manual (I think it was the small sat-nav manual rather than the large owner's handbook - but I could be wrong), it's under the section where it describes what to do when you've changed tyres and want to reset the mpg calibration. It says something to the effect of ... the system will periodically recalibrate itself using the GPS system but you can force it to recalibrate by choosing the option in the menu.

This calibration only affects the console computer and not the speedo - that still relies on wheel rotation. I suppose Toyota could have integrated the GPS system with the main display or even display the speed on the MFD but they haven't.

Hi Ray,

Funny just as a side note my navman ICN510 is the same and also reads up to 8mph difference to the toyo speedo...

Cheers Electric

Newbie here guys and I have been driving an 04 plate 2.0 L Avensis for 8 months now. I too have been confused by the readings I get from the average mph for quite a while. As 65special pointed out, it seems the engine does require high revs to get the best performance.

I really noticed the readings when my wife had been driving MY car (I'd been drinking so she had to). She usually drives a 1.4 Micra and once she hits 32/33 mph she's into fourth gear. She quite naturally did this in the Avensis as well and my ave mph was dropping like a stone. The next time I took the car out I pointedly ran to about 41/42 in third gear and 55ish in fourth then watched the average gradually move back up. So it's reasonably high revs for me from now on.

The other odd thing is when the tank is brimmed the average mph goes all over the place until the marker reaches 'full' then it settles down. Sometimes a very low reading just before it settles takes ages to increase.

• 4 months later...

hi.

Hey ,

I have got Toyota avensis 2003,2.0 litre VVTi,950000 mileage and I believe that it using too much petrol. The computer showing me about 31-35 mpg which is a bout 8.5 up to 9.5 litre per 100 km. Is that normal?. I did not use this car yet on any motorways but I will soon.Is it anything I can do to improve my petrol usage?.

Cheers

Wojciech

I had the same model and for the 15000 miles I kept the car I got the same fuel consumption as you did. It would do about 25mpg in towns, almost 40mpg cruising on an A road run and around 35mpg on a motorway trip. Not too bad for a 2.0 litre but if you use the acceleration too much it hurts your wallet.

:crybaby: :D

Hi Desmond,

Thanks for replay.Do you think it is normal anyway?

Some of other guys have two times mpg then I.I have not been yet in service(oil,filters.etc) but soon I wull.Do you think that it will help or improve this usage?

Cheers

Wojciech

I had the same model and for the 15000 miles I kept the car I got the same fuel consumption as you did. It would do about 25mpg in towns, almost 40mpg cruising on an A road run and around 35mpg on a motorway trip. Not too bad for a 2.0 litre but if you use the acceleration too much it hurts your wallet.

:crybaby: :D

I have driven my 55 reg avensis for the first 6 months. To my surprise the mpg on the car computer reads only 25mpg now. I generally do driving inside the town and have never managed beyond 28mpg.

hi .i have a 2.0 petrol auto ,it does about 23 to 25 mpg .when i fill it up is says on the range 250 miles.as well i work for a toyota dealer and they say it not good so next week we are going to remap the ecu and download a new software .i had this car six month .it on a 53 plate evry time i fill it to the top.cost me 50 pound on 250 /265 mile a tanks...not happy with it.....they are good car ,,,,so i will let you know how it is when they do it...chris

:angry:

hi .i have a 2.0 petrol auto ,it does about 23 to 25 mpg .when i fill it up is says on the range 250 miles.as well i work for a toyota dealer and they say it not good so next week we are going to remap the ecu and download a new software .i had this car six month .it on a 53 plate evry time i fill it to the top.cost me 50 pound on 250 /265 mile a tanks...not happy with it.....they are good car ,,,,so i will let you know how it is when they do it...chris

Hi

I used to have a 2.0 L T Spirit auto saloon 03 plate and ran it for 3 years. completed 78000 miles and recorded every liter of petrol used over the period. Each day was a 70 mile round trip with 75% motorway. The average over each year was 34.6 mpg-35.13 mpg. this was calculated from liters and total miles

Individual journeys could be nearly 39mpg but around town would drop to about 25mpg. These figures taken from the trip computer. The other point I noted was the premium fuels say from Shell or BP made the car mpg slightly better and perform better but couldn't justify the whopping extra you had to pay

At the end of the day the fuel consumption proportional to pressure of right foot!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody know which software is in use in Toyota,I mean software which it can be use by laptop and it can be connected to the car to see if there is anything wrong with parameters.Does anybody knows where is socket to connect.

Wojciech

:angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Spent a few days around Norfolk a week or so ago and this is what my 1.8 auto returned. :thumbsup:

DSCN0544.jpg

DSCN0553.jpg

Just thought I'd add my comments.

I have a 2.0 Petrol 04 T-Spirit with 45,000 on the clock.

I regularly get 35mpg. On a run I can get 41-42 to the gallon. Otherwise when I'm in fun mode it drops to about 30mpg.

It seems like I'm getting on the high listening to the comments.

Also when I fill up the satnav show 367 miles in the tank. I usually get between 350-400 before I NEED to refuel.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a 2004 1.8VVTI ang am delighted with the fuel consumption 160 mile run motorway and A roads 40.04 to the gal much inprovement over my last car 2001 Jeep grand cherokee 4.0ltr 17.9 mpg my company car is a mondeo ST220 Estate im getting about 24-26 out of that so thats why im delighted !!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links