Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Decat And Passing The Mot

ColinC

Hi guys, I'm currently looking at another Celica - my third!! I'm back again after my last 5 glorious MR2 months. But I need another Celica :)

I'm looking at buying one from one of the guys in this very club, but it has a decat exhaust. Just wondering if any of you can tell me how much hassle it is getting it through an emissions test? Is it a big job to put the cat back in just to reduce emissions (the car has a Powerflow 3" blue tip exhaust system if that makes any difference)?

Over here in Ireland they are quite strict in the test, and it's not like you guys in the UK, where if you know the mechanic he will put it through!! Over here, they are quite ruthless and sometimes they put you to a lot of expense to get it though. My parents had to spend a good few quid on their old 1990 Carina, but it got through last Summer (with 285,000 miles).

Thanks for any help or advice on this one...

The common thought on the forums is that if a car is over 10 years old and Jap import. It wont need a cat for the MOT BUT this differs depending on which MOT station you go to as they tend to differ... which is weird.

The common thought on the forums is that if a car is over 10 years old and Jap import. It wont need a cat for the MOT BUT this differs depending on which MOT station you go to as they tend to differ... which is weird.

That is what I initially thought too. But aparantly in London it's more stricter and most MOT dealers would simply fail me without a cat. The only way round was to bolt a temp cat on, pass the MOT then take it off again.

HOWEVER!!! I have a friend with a M reg Civic VTi and he also has a decat but becasue it's over 10 years old the MOT centers in essex where he lives puts it though knowing there isn't a cat and it still passes.

Colin I hope this helps.

That is what I initially thought too. But aparantly in London it's more stricter and most MOT dealers would simply fail me without a cat. The only way round was to bolt a temp cat on, pass the MOT then take it off again.

HOWEVER!!! I have a friend with a M reg Civic VTi and he also has a decat but becasue it's over 10 years old the MOT centers in essex where he lives puts it though knowing there isn't a cat and it still passes.

Colin I hope this helps.

Sure mate. So is it possible to take off your decat pipe and bolt on a cat to yours? or would some welding be involved?

Does anyone know how much a UK cat costs?

I believe mine is welded. I've never had the need to put a cat in becuse I had the MOT done without the cat. But I believe you can pick up a new cat for around £150 for a basic one. I've also seen them for around £50 on fleabay when other people had a decat system made up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links