Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina Fault 21 Driving Me Nuts

greyskull2

I KNOW THAT THIS IS A LONG STANDING QUERY ON THIS FORUM BUT I HOPE THAT SOMEONES EXPERIENCE WILL SHINE SOME LIGHT ON MY PROBLEM. MY ORANGE DASH LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR OVER A MONTH NOW(SHOWS CODE 21) ON A 1.6E CARINA 4AFE (165K MILES)AND I HAVE CHANGED THE LAMBDA FOR ANOTHER FROM A BREAKERS - LIGHT STILL ON EVEN THOUGH I DISCONNECTED THE Battery FOR AN HOUR. i HAVE CHECKED ALL THE CONNECTIONS,CLEANED PLUGS, FILTERS,HT CAP,ETC BUT NO JOY. THE STRANGE THING IS THAT IT RUNS OK APART FROM THE PINKING AND GREAT THIRST FOR FUEL. IS A PROBLEM E.C.U. A COMMON FAULT ON THIS MODEL??? ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ????? MANY THANKS

Can you be certain that the sensor from the breakers is working correctly? The symptoms you describe suggest that the sensor is at fault. especially the thirst for fuel.

Can you be certain that the sensor from the breakers is working correctly? The symptoms you describe suggest that the sensor is at fault. especially the thirst for fuel.

I can't be certain - all I was told was that it was off a perfectly healthy engine. The guy that sold it to me also suggested checking 2 other troublesome sensors that are located near the carb - any ideas?

I used to get a puff of smoke occassionally on start up but when I think of it, I haven't had any since she started running in emergency mode!! Does that give any clues??? :crybaby:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Code 21 Lean burn sensor malfunction. Open circuit between ECU and leanburn sensor. Check for continuity.

99% of the time its a known failure of the lean burn sensor itself. Try to buy from reputable source ie Toyota. Have known Pattern ones not to work. Breakers Yard no chance!

C YA

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links