Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 1.4 Engine Rattle / Knock Noise On Startup

Briano

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and from Ireland

I've a 1.4 2005 corolla with 25k miles on the clock. Over tha last six months or so I've noticed a rattle / knock noise from the engine on startup when its cold usually in the mornings after being left overnight or after being left in the carpark all day while I'm in work - the cold weather seems to make it worse.

It is intermittent and sometimes you can only hear it after I start the car as the revs drop down to idle revs and sometimes you can here it at idle revs for a few minutes after starting. Once the engine is warmed up you can no longer hear it.

I have left it into the dealership on a number of occasions and eventually after leaving it in the dealership on a frosty overnight the next day they could hear it. They have filled in a report and sent it to Toyota and got nothing back yet and at the moment I'm waiting on a technical advisor from toyota to listen to car for them .

My friend has a corolla with a 1.4 and I did compare the engine noise from his car to mine - it was a basic test, I put a big long screwdriver on one of the bolts holding the inlet manifold and listened - his car sounds very smooth but mine has rattle sounds coming from it.

I think it may be valve clearance or small end bearing problems but I'm no expert, I'm just looking for some info and advice so when the car goes into the dealership again I will be well prepared.

Thanks in advance

Brian

• 3 months later...

Hi !

It's been a long time :)

Do you still hear these noises ? I'm asking because I think I'm hearing them too.

1.4 VVT-i, 2005, Saloon

apparently if you search it on here its a noise thats meant to be there.

i have that too! a slight crunch after my wheels move from cold about 1 metre or 2.

its the VSC control system - self testing itself. its in the manual apparently too.

ive read alot of posts about it and now it doesnt worry me as it did when it happens.

hope this helps.

whoops, didnt realise it was a old thread.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links