Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt Screech

Bilal8210

hiya i had my timing belt replaced on my 98 1.8gls about 8 months ago. Back then the garage said the timing belt would loosen up gradually so would need tightening up. Since then ive noticed it needed tightening because it started to make the loud screeching noise when turning the steering wheel. Ive had it tightened by a garage once before but now looks like it needs doing again. Any1 know if i can do this myself? what to i do?

thanx

The noise you are hearing has nothing to do with the timing belt. The noise is probably the power steering. On full lock it is not unusual to hear the system groaning. However it may be that the belt on the steering pump pulley has not been set correctly. If too slack some screaching may be heard due to belt slippage.

This belt would have been removed during the work to gain access to the timing belt. The deflection at the mid-point on the upper pulleys should be between 6mm and 8mm.

See:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60752

This is for the Carina E but the set-up is almost identical. A relatively straight forward job.

I've changed 7-8 Toyota timing belts over the years. Never had to re-tenion yet. There is no service schedule to 're-tension' a timing belt. Only to change them after time/mileage.

thanx for the reply....also forgot to mention i had the power steering belt replaced back then aswell....and when you turn the steering wheel on full lock u get a pretty loud screech and the steering gets pretty hard. Also noticed today the Battery light starts to flash when the wheels on full lock...

thanxx

thanx for the reply....also forgot to mention i had the power steering belt replaced back then aswell....and when you turn the steering wheel on full lock u get a pretty loud screech and the steering gets pretty hard. Also noticed today the battery light starts to flash when the wheels on full lock...

thanxx

the Battery light is flashing because its the same belt that is routed round the alternator that is also round the steer pump. Tighten it up, and problems will go away.

answer to question about tightening the ps/alt belt is that it is adjusted via the alternator.

slacken off the retaining bolts slightly, put a pry bar behind it to lever it to the correct tension and then tigthen it all back up again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links