Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Wont Start...again...

matty_aygo

Came out to my car bout half an hour ago to go into town and it wont start however this isnt just cos i left the inside light on for 3days.

All the electrical stuff works, cd player, wipers light and the engine is trying to start but just not turing over.

Even just took out my amp and sub and still nothing.

Called RAC like said they'll be like 45mins.

Good thing i renewed my club toyota membership last friday and good for a RAC doing home cover too. I know alot of company only do it if its outside 3 miles of your house.

anyway ill let u know what was wrong when they get here.

matty...

Was it really not turning over or didn't it want to ignite???

There's a BIG difference there...

sometimes mine won't start until I press the accelerator

i dunno, anyway turns out was the Battery, aparently all the electrics will still work fine even if there isnt enough power to start the car. Taken out my amp for the time being gunna have a look at the wireing cos i think as Jan pointed out in another forum i may have the remote wired onto the live feed thing in the back of the stero.

The Battery of the aygo is not the best as i exprienced myself ! if you psrk the car and leave the stereo on for some time it goes flat fast! and as you say everything else work just wont start! well there is place for a bigger one and thats what i will be doing i the future!

Agree - if you looking at increasing the draw on the Battery with ICE etc install a larger one - especially on the Aygo petrol as it is particularly small, but the tray is large enough to take something heftier. Diesels generally take larger batteries so a straight swap for a diesel Battery may be possible.

when u say a bigger battery do u mean like higher voltage or just bigger capacity?

Go to your dealer and ask for the 36v Battery. That'll sort it. :thumbsup:

when u say a bigger battery do u mean like higher voltage or just bigger capacity?

Go to your dealer and ask for the 36v Battery. That'll sort it. :thumbsup:

Hope you mean Amps Lauren :o

If there was a 36 Volt Battery it would certainly turn the engine over .....for about two or three seconds till it blew a relay or caught fire :shutit:

Les

You need to check the Ah (Ampere Hour) figure for the Aygo petrol Battery - it might be stamped on the Battery itself. A quick internet search suggest the Aygo petrol has a 38Ah Battery. The diesel uses a 55Ah battery. This is an indication of the battery capacity i.e. 1 amp can be supplied for 38 or 55 hours - so if you are drawing many amps on a 38Ah battery it will go flat quickly.

Diesels generally have larger capacity batteries as they require higher output to crank the engine when starting. Diesels have higher compression than the petrol engines and this needs to be overcome.

My Audi 2.0TDi has a 90ish Ah capacity battery - try this on the Aygo!!

If there was a 36 Volt battery it would certainly turn the engine over .....for about two or three seconds till it blew a relay or caught fire :!Removed!:

Les

GLOL... it was a joke,

never mind..

If there was a 36 Volt battery it would certainly turn the engine over .....for about two or three seconds till it blew a relay or caught fire :shutit:

Les

GLOL... it was a joke,

never mind..

Wooops! :bangin::lol:

Hey guys.

Maybe the batteries are rubbish. This morning, as most, i drove to uni which takes the usual 25 minutes. Look around and couldnt get a space so i park in the local multi-story.

Come back 2 hours later, BAM, car wont start, it keeps turning and turning and turning but wont fire, what the heck? All the electrics were working, i checked Battery indicator and it looked fine. The bloke from the car park comes and sees what the problem is and he gets a mini Battery charger, tried that and still didnt work.

So i rang RAC, he did the same and checked the fuses and injectors/plugs or whatever and still the car wouldnt work. He tried connecting his laptop to the car to check what the problem was but it wouldnt let him. So he checked some more things and under the seat (?) and yes you guessed, it still wouldnt start. So i got towed away and now its sitting at the Toyota garage i got it from.

We got it brand new in september, 6 months old or so and about 2500 miles on it. Nothing has been modified, the only thing added was an alarm from a proper place and insurance approved. RAC guy said it might be caused by the alarm, but its been fitted since a couple of days after we got the car. Past few months now and then its been taking longer to start the car, sometimes takes a few times before it fires and starts.

RAC guy also explained that the computer isnt sending a signal to the injectors or whatnot which is why the car wont actually start. But whys this happened, nothings been done to cause this, and hes quite surprised with it being a toyota and brand new.

Bloke from Toyota just rang back and asked my dad if we tried charging the Battery. Huh? The cars six month old why would it need charging.

Keep you posted.

Bloke from Toyota just rang back and asked my dad if we tried charging the battery. Huh? The cars six month old why would it need charging.

Keep you posted.

Well if the Battery has been run down, it would make good sense to charge it properly. If you do lots of short trips then the Battery will not get charged up by the alternator.

Also the Battery indicator light is not a good determiner of battery charge. The aygo does't have a voltmeter. If the battery is low on charge then starting will obviously be more difficult.

you could have a duff battery. It does happen.

When finding out a fault on a car, its a process of elimination if hte immediate cause is not obvious.

mine was just caused by havin my amp wired to the live feed by accident and so the amp was always on instead of switching on with the ignition.. but got it sorted now and works fine.. although the RAC guy was havin a bit of a go saying !Removed! kids always messing about with cars and its a wonder mine didnt set on fire?!?

oh wel my sound system sounds awsome now though so nevermind lol.

This Multi-story carpark doesn't happen to be near

powerlines or an antenna-mast for the cellular network???

In some cases the EM-output of these lines or antennae can

cause enough interference to cause the car not to "see" the

transponder chip in the key. If this happens the start-inhibitor

doesn't "unlock". Usually this DOES allow the starter to engage,

but the inhibitor doesn't fire the injectors and/or the sparkplugs.

I'm kinda surprised the RAC-guy didn't thing of this, as I read a similar

story in the mag for the ANWB, which is the Dutch RAC (sort of)...

Pushing the car to another location should be standard procedure now...

Nah it wasnt near any of that stuff. I have done less driving in this car then i did with the Fiesta and the Yaris, and never had problems with them.

BTW Toyota phoned today, theyre 95% certain that its the immobilzer thats knackered, so theyre ordering one in and wont be here til tomorow, then god knows how long they'll take to getting round to fitting it. Any ideas?

:(

Good, providing that is the problem, after all the bloke said they were only "95% certain" it was the immobilizer! Totally screwed my valentines plans up!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links