Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sera Engine Swap

*rollaboy

hi guys. as some of yee may or may not know, the last year and a half has been spent be me trying to swap a gen 3 3sgte into my sera.it is reguarded as the holy grail in terms of sera swaps, but in reality, all is not well.

the engine and box (lsd equipped) is currently located in the car using custom mounts, and the drives are hooked up to the hubs!! the car is wired up with a standalone ecu, and the linkage on the gearbox has been converted for use as a fwd.

in theory, all thats left is to plumb in a radiator, plumb in the fmic, and fabricate the exhaust from the a/m downpipe back.

problem is that even after 2 sets of engine mounts, the point where the drives leave the gearbox is still not opposite where the drives enter the hubs.... resulting in the driveshafts not being totally straight!!!

the engine is sitting as far back in the bay as it will possibly go, so my (as far as i can see) only option is to semi-spaceframe the bulkhead, and make yet another set of mounts!!

now, as a poor student, i cannot afford any more major outlay on this project. it is breaking my heart because im so close to having the worlds first and only 3sgte powered monster....

... but being realistic, my transmssion wont last very long with an expected 300 bhp and lots of torque going to the front wheels via crooked driveshafts.

so heres what im thinking.... sell the whole package, and fit a 4age based engine.

4efte is also an option, but it seems a bit too mundane to me (no offence lads)

i undertand that the thousands i have spent getting the 3sgte in there will go to waste, but i think it may be time to cut my losses.

my engine shop are urging me to go with a 3sge, and utilising my mbe managment system, fit a set of throttle bodies (which i already have)

these guys know their stuff as they are heavily involved in building rally cars, but my concern is that the 3sge block will have the same problem as reguards positioning the engine and getting the drives straight.....after all, isnt the 3sge the same basic engine as the 'gte dimentionally speaking???

i like the idea of a 3sge on 4 throttles as i prefer n/a engines anyway, but i just want to get yeer expertise/opinions on what to do now.

i would have thought that it would be easier to fit a 4agze than a 3sge considering my experience with the size of the 3s block in the sera chassis (ignoring the extra ancillaries of fitting a f/i engine instead of a n/a eg : boost pipes etc.

and bear in mind that i have a standalone managment system to conroll it

i have spent 8 000 euro on the swap so far, i just want to loose as little money as possible

cheers

rosco

posted in your other thread dude

• 3 months later...

hi guys. as some of yee may or may not know, the last year and a half has been spent be me trying to swap a gen 3 3sgte into my sera.it is reguarded as the holy grail in terms of sera swaps, but in reality, all is not well.

the engine and box (lsd equipped) is currently located in the car using custom mounts, and the drives are hooked up to the hubs!! the car is wired up with a standalone ecu, and the linkage on the gearbox has been converted for use as a fwd.

in theory, all thats left is to plumb in a radiator, plumb in the fmic, and fabricate the exhaust from the a/m downpipe back.

problem is that even after 2 sets of engine mounts, the point where the drives leave the gearbox is still not opposite where the drives enter the hubs.... resulting in the driveshafts not being totally straight!!!

the engine is sitting as far back in the bay as it will possibly go, so my (as far as i can see) only option is to semi-spaceframe the bulkhead, and make yet another set of mounts!!

now, as a poor student, i cannot afford any more major outlay on this project. it is breaking my heart because im so close to having the worlds first and only 3sgte powered monster....

... but being realistic, my transmssion wont last very long with an expected 300 bhp and lots of torque going to the front wheels via crooked driveshafts.

so heres what im thinking.... sell the whole package, and fit a 4age based engine.

i undertand that the thousands i have spent getting the 3sgte in there will go to waste, but i think it may be time to cut my losses.

my engine shop are urging me to go with a 3sge, and utilising my mbe managment system, fit a set of throttle bodies (which i already have)

these guys know their stuff as they are heavily involved in building rally cars, but my concern is that the 3sge block will have the same problem as reguards positioning the engine and getting the drives straight.....after all, isnt the 3sge the same basic engine as the 'gte dimentionally speaking???

i like the idea of a 3sge on 4 throttles as i prefer n/a engines anyway, but i just want to get yeer expertise/opinions on what to do now.

i would have thought that it would be easier to fit a 4agze than a 3sge considering my experience with the size of the 3s block in the sera chassis (ignoring the extra ancillaries of fitting a f/i engine instead of a n/a eg : boost pipes etc.

i have spent 8 000 euro on the swap so far, i just want to loose as little money as possible

cheers

rosco

Man where did you get you wide bodykit from?! I want one!lol

How can i get hold of one as im stuggling to find a good looking one.

Thanks

cheers

rosco

Damn Rosco didn't know you had a 3sgte swap in the mix... :eek:

From memory (on the paseo at least) anyone fitting a 3s had to cut away at the firewall for the thing to fit.

there was a 1st gen 'seo powered by a 3sgte however so it CAN be done.

Best bet is to contact toyotasera.co.uk (Andy) he knows anything & everything about the Sera's.

Good luck :thumbsup:

J

Ross' Sera has a totally unique bodykit - entirely custom made.

• 4 weeks later...

everything under my bonnet is now for sale. 3sgte gen 3 with lsd gearbox. everything converted for fwd. pm for price.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links