Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault Lights

TCGT

Hi,

now that I've been able to tootle around town in the Celica ( Gen 5 import ) I have a couple of lights coming on intermittently.

They are the Battery light and above it just next to 1 on the rev counter there are couple of rings with (I think) an exclamation mark in the middle.

When they come on , they come on together and they also go off together.

Could anyone please tell me what they signal.

cheers

Hi,

now that I've been able to tootle around town in the Celica ( Gen 5 import ) I have a couple of lights coming on intermittently.

They are the battery light and above it just next to 1 on the rev counter there are couple of rings with (I think) an exclamation mark in the middle.

When they come on , they come on together and they also go off together.

Could anyone please tell me what they signal.

cheers

The one with the exclamation mark and the rings is the brake fluid level/H-brake warning lamp - I think. :unsure: It's early, cold and I haven't got my hand book with me. :unsure: Check the fluid level is OK and the earth on the H/brake switch is clean and the switch is in good order. I'm thinking it's probably an earth problem somewhere. Might be worth checking the alternator too. If the cars been sat up a long while it may have got a little furred up in there. Provided the brake fluid is ok and the battery's not going flat I'd be tempted to keep on driving it around as it is. A bit of use may well free everything up.

*Edit* Check the earth strap that connects to the top bolt of the alternator. :thumbsup:

hi Dak,

The Celica was grounded for over 4 years so now it's up and running I would expect things to drop off.

The fluid is fine after the fitting of the master cylinder kit and the Battery seems to be charging, though I will get this tested.

The lights only come on after a few minutes driving which seems odd, but I'm enjoying driving the Celica so much that a couple of lights aint going to stop me now.

cheers

hi Dak,

The Celica was grounded for over 4 years so now it's up and running I would expect things to drop off.

The fluid is fine after the fitting of the master cylinder kit and the battery seems to be charging, though I will get this tested.

The lights only come on after a few minutes driving which seems odd, but I'm enjoying driving the Celica so much that a couple of lights aint going to stop me now.

cheers

the handbrake light coming on - mine used to come on every now and again. you should look at it as a warning light for all things to do with the brakes. discs need replacing pads need replacing - brake light bulbs gone etc etc i took my dash off at one stage thinking it was earthing somewhere and found it wasn't - then replaced the switch under the handbrake, then the rear disks and it went off.

hi Dak,

The fluid is fine after the fitting of the master cylinder kit and the battery seems to be charging, though I will get this tested.

cheers

the handbrake light coming on - mine used to come on every now and again. you should look at it as a warning light for all things to do with the brakes. discs need replacing pads need replacing - brake light bulbs gone etc etc i took my dash off at one stage thinking it was earthing somewhere and found it wasn't - then replaced the switch under the handbrake, then the rear disks and it went off.

Hi,

as far as I can tell my handbrake light is working fine.

It is a circle with a "P" in it at the bottom left of the panel.

The lights that come on are a Battery shape and above that an exclamation mark inside a circle, it's next to number 1 on the counter.

They both come on at the same time, after about 5mins.

cheers

The top light looks very much like the parking brake / hbrake light, which can indicate blown or faulty bulbs, so i'd be checking these first. Possibly a poor connection somewhere.

Not sure about the Battery light though, only comes on in mine when i turn the key 1 notch.

The top light looks very much like the parking brake / hbrake light, which can indicate blown or faulty bulbs, so i'd be checking these first. Possibly a poor connection somewhere.

Not sure about the battery light though, only comes on in mine when i turn the key 1 notch.

Hi,

Is your parking brake light in that position, next to 1 on the counter.

My parking light is next to the Battery light. It lights with a "P" when the brake is on . I'll take a pic.

My car is a JDM if that makes a difference.

cheers

john

Mine's the model before yours too!

There's a donloadable gen 5 manual in the sticky's bit on the celi main page IIRC

Just realised, you put the manual there! oops!

Hi,

I've had a look in there and can't find it. I think it is brake related as the symbol is similar.

warning.JPG

Lights with ignition on first thing. Parking brake at bottom.

cheers

ABS fuse?

Hi,

I dont have ABS, don't know if I should, but I don't as I have just fitted front calipers and a master cyl all of which are different for ABS.

The plot thickens, I've tested the low fluid switch and that works okay and has no effect on the lights.

cheers

hi,

Everybody has been very helpful and I'm much obliged for everybodys suggestions. :thumbsup: I'm off to have the Battery checked and the alternator.

I'm just not sure how to cancel any fault codes if I need to.

cheers

• 2 months later...

Can you tell me how you went on? i've joined this forum mainly because i have a very similar problem, the exclamation light, Battery and amber oil light all come on at the same time, as soon as they do the Battery indicator drops so it obviously isnt charging, what i need to know before i replace the alternator is why all 3 lights come on instead of just the Battery light, could it be something else that's affecting the alternator as well as oil pressure and whatever the (!) light is? or am i being numb and it's just the alternator? help!

It's a 1991 GT by the way....i love her.