Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chassis Corrosion

octavia

Hello all,

Could anyone reliably tell me what corrosion treatment is provided for the bodywork, floor panel, doors etc? I accept that the suspension mounts and front subframe are probably only painted, but is the remainder galvanised? After all, many car manufactureres do galvanise the body panels as a matter of course nowadays.

Hello all,

Could anyone reliably tell me what corrosion treatment is provided for the bodywork, floor panel, doors etc? I accept that the suspension mounts and front subframe are probably only painted, but is the remainder galvanised? After all, many car manufactureres do galvanise the body panels as a matter of course nowadays.

Didn't notice what age your RAV is... my 1994 model has been great apart from wherever it has had a ding or same sort of damage. Underneath/behind the wheel arch extensions is rusting as it traps the salty muck we have in Scotland. I changed the petrol tank as a garage had used it to jack up the car at some point in the past and bent it to weaken metal and rust started. Usual corrosion on petrol and brake pipes. In changing out dampers and brakes, I took the opportunity to paint the suspension parts heavily; and also Waxoyld the gaps in the chassis. Some rust was evident in the pasenger footwell but was as a result of a replacement windscreen being badly fitted. The only bad rust I've had was with the side steps which I took off; and the rear step which is thick metal but rusting. Both were fitted at the factory/dealer when new. There's a little rust around drivers door handle from slight movement of the handle assembly. The treatment inside the wheelarches etc has lasted the hammering of 166k miles as no rust exists there. The only other thing now is the exhaust is needing done.

We are about to buy a new RAV4 XT-R diesel and have just telephoned Toyota technical department for information on the flywheel situation (on which head we were reassured, see separate thread) and to ask about corrosion protection. We were pleased to learn that Toyota galvanise part of the chassis and bodywork, in particular those parts that are the most exposed to abrasion/chemicals. In very general terms, the man said, it was approximately the bottom half of the car that was galvanised.

We had also considered the new Honda CR-V and put the same question to Honda, who told us that no part of their car was galvanised, although another form of anti-corrosion protection was applied. It seems that Toyota has the edge over Honda there, then.

We are about to buy a new RAV4 XT-R diesel and have just telephoned Toyota technical department for information on the flywheel situation (on which head we were reassured, see separate thread) and to ask about corrosion protection. We were pleased to learn that Toyota galvanise part of the chassis and bodywork, in particular those parts that are the most exposed to abrasion/chemicals. In very general terms, the man said, it was approximately the bottom half of the car that was galvanised.

We had also considered the new Honda CR-V and put the same question to Honda, who told us that no part of their car was galvanised, although another form of anti-corrosion protection was applied. It seems that Toyota has the edge over Honda there, then.

You're assuming, of course, that there's no better protection than galvanising. Galvanising is good but galvanised steel can still corrode (think about the corrugated sheets used for temporary/light building). Proper preparation, a good zinc-based primer and tough finishing system can do a very good job. There are parts of the Forth Bridge that still have their original red lead paint and no significant corrosion - but it's all being removed and repainted with zinc-based primer and high build epoxy as that's reckoned to be the best.

Corrosion isn't the problem with cars it used to be - that's partly due to increased use of galvanising but it's also down to better paint processes and systems. I don't recall seeing a rusty CR-V.

I'm glad to hear the Rav4 is galvanised but I'd be just as happy taking Honda's assurance that their system is as good.

I have Press launch pack for the 2006 RAV4,a few quotes from the Body section.....

1) "All major body panels are now made of galvanised steel for better anti-corrosion performance"

2) "Wax is injected into closed outer panels"

3) "Anti-chip coating is applied to the bonnet edge, lower door sills and front edge of wheel arches"

:) .

• Thanks 1

That is good information, Bob. How did you manage to acquire that?

As Steve@Aberdeen said, rust is not the problem nowadays that it used to be, but here in the Highlands vehicles do suffer very much with the vast amount of salt and grit that is thrown onto the roads in winter and there is a very obvious difference between vehicles of the same age that have lived up here and those that come from the south, so good corrosion protection is important to us.

I think we'll smear a layer of Dinitrol onto suspension and transmission components. Keeps it nice and I'm sure mechanics just love working on sticky tarry undersides! ;)

That is good information, Bob. How did you manage to acquire that?

I've been a keen collector of, Toyota workshop manuals, brochures and press packs for many years, some items take years to find, but the 2006 press pack i got from a brochure dealer , that had a contact at the launch of the new RAV4, as soon as he got his hands on it, he sold it onto me....at a price :rolleyes: :) .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links