Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dvla Mistake

Red Yaris 54

Yesterday I received a V11 (Vehicle Licence Application Form) from the DVLA at my correct home address......................but for a completely different person and car type and registration number to mine.

I tried to phone them last evening (On an 0870 number :ffs: ) but they had a recorded message because of the "inclement" weather.

I have phoned them again this morning (Twice) and been told that they can do nothing about it over the phone................(Not even to check the details) and that I must write to them explaining that I am not the person named or the keeper of the vehicle quoted.

They did say that if I did not write to them and just ignorred the form that I may well get any motoring offence fines that could come the way of the keeper. (THEY THINK THAT I AM THE KEEPER :eek: )

They really did not seem interested when I suggested that it may be an identity fraud scam.

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to sort out their errors and requested compensation for my time and costs incurred on phone calls, admin and postage.

Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen to them?

Not the only government agency to send out wrong details then after it was revealed the DWP sent out pension details to the wrong people... nice to know these companies are taking care of our details :rolleyes:

I'm sure it can be resolved by writing to them Steve, but still after all the talk of identity fraud in the press recently you'd think companies like this would be more sympathetic and helpful... writing a letter seems to be the answer to everything according to the DVLA :rolleyes:

I hope you get it sorted Steve

When I bought my Corolla TS, I part-exd my Astra with Mr T. Unfortunately in the 4 months afterwards I received 2 letters from 2 police forces for motoring offences and one letter from a council for a parking offence (all for the Astra after I had given it to Mr T. I ended up having to send a letter to both of the police forces, the council and the DVLA explaining that I no longer owned the car along with my receipt showing the Astra was a part ex.

Like you no one was interested in resolving this over the phone.

When I bought my Corolla TS, I part-exd my Astra with Mr T. Unfortunately in the 4 months afterwards I received 2 letters from 2 police forces for motoring offences and one letter from a council for a parking offence (all for the Astra after I had given it to Mr T. I ended up having to send a letter to both of the police forces, the council and the DVLA explaining that I no longer owned the car along with my receipt showing the Astra was a part ex.

Like you no one was interested in resolving this over the phone.

What really has annoyed me is that I have never owned (or kept) the car stated on the V11 and I have lived at this address for the last 6 years :censor:

Let them take you to court ..... and then sue them for wasting your time/loss of earnings and then write to the national press (although they probably wont be bothered as I expect this stuff happens all the time) :rolleyes:

You have notified them of the incorrect details and your call should have been logged ...... the only way to sort these problems out is to hit them in the pocket :thumbsup:

Apparently it is not an uncommon problem :ffs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/x-ray/allarticl...4p17_dvla.shtml

" The National Audit Office says that as many as a third of all vehicles could have the wrong information listed, with addresses and postcodes top of the mistakes list. The report estimates that 14 per cent of addresses are inaccurate, with postcodes a close second at 13 per cent. Between 7 and 11 per cent of drivers' names are listed incorrectly, while 6 per cent of vehicles aren't even registered as being the right colour, and 4 per cent are listed as the wrong model."

Perhaps I should not hold my breath :unsure:

your local police should have a car crime unit. It wouldn't do any harm talking informing them about this too, just in case you start to get fines/demands etc for a car you don't own. !

Strangely in this case I'll bet it's not a mistake by the DVLA ;)

Someone will have registered the car to a random address that just happened to be your's. Provided they're reasonably sensible they're now pretty much immune to any sort of policing on the roads. Keep the car taxed and insured and it won't show up on ANPR, you'll be immune to speed cameras, congestion charging, parking fines and the DVLA won't be able to flout the data protection act and sell your details on to anyone that asks for them. As you've found out, the authorities aren't really interested in this sort of thing as there are plenty of correctly registered cars they can go on targetting far more easily.

Sounds almost like a good idea if you put it like that doesn't it? ;)

Steve, do you know where your local DVLA office is? If not, it will be listed HERE.

Maybe worth a visit if it ain't to far from you and see if they can help.

The DVLA are a pain in the butt to deal with. The only possible solution is to post it back to them. There should be a "Complaints" address somewhere on their website. Trying to phone them is just a waste of time.

After having the address changed twice my Yaris continues to be registered to a Mr Alan J P Bardley [sic] but quite frankly its not worth the hssle trying to change it. Everything else is correct and its obvious its a typo...

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links