Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ae111 (levin)

Galway-Glanza

hey people can any1 tell me whats the superstrut suspension like for irish raods? does it give much trouble? tnx 4 da replaies

Handling is fantastic, best handling standard car i've been in/driven (better than a 205GTI). I don't know what Irish roads are like, but in Cardiff, they are crap, potholes, speedbumps, uneven, etc and to be honest, the suspension is a bit too harsh for me.

As for trouble, ball joints and bushes can go, like on any car. They aren't always cheap. Bought one for the body of the strut (points downwards), was about £50.

I've not been in a Levin without Superstrut, but i'd always choose one that does have it, they handle so well.

How much work is involved in converting the standard levin gt (without superstrut) to the superstrut version? Is it just a matter of swapping over the front suspensions?

Handling is fantastic, best handling standard car i've been in/driven (better than a 205GTI). I don't know what Irish roads are like, but in Cardiff, they are crap, potholes, speedbumps, uneven, etc and to be honest, the suspension is a bit too harsh for me.

As for trouble, ball joints and bushes can go, like on any car. They aren't always cheap. Bought one for the body of the strut (points downwards), was about £50.

I've not been in a Levin without Superstrut, but i'd always choose one that does have it, they handle so well.

yeah the roads sound very similar haha! thnx 4 the reply i will hav to organise a test drive in both models to see!

How much work is involved in converting the standard levin gt (without superstrut) to the superstrut version? Is it just a matter of swapping over the front suspensions?

This is what it looks like. You can convert but it'll take loads of parts. The hubs are different for a start.

http://www.geocities.com/fxgt20/superstrut.htm

http://www.geocities.com/fxgt20/superstrut2.htm

I think the superstrut also has better calipers and discs, twinpots on the front and singles on the rear. As for swaping parts over, if you could get hold of them you would be lucky, but i beleive it is a "simple" enough straight swap

Yeah, the whole idea of Superstrut suspension is that you can have double wishbone style suspension, or normal McPhearson strut suspension fitted on exactly the same Shell, saved Toyota money on production.

If you want all the parts, buy my car and then strip it ;)

I think the superstrut also has better calipers and discs, twinpots on the front and singles on the rear. As for swaping parts over, if you could get hold of them you would be lucky, but i beleive it is a "simple" enough straight swap

Nah, afraid not, Ecsy is right. It's a big job. This is what you need:

Sub Frame

Cross Member

Control arms

Hubs

Brake System (Calipers, Discs and Lines)

Shocks

Rack and Pinion

Back Mount

Stabiliser Bar

Linkages

Dam, that is a lot of work! Well the guy working on my car will not be too happy if i told him to convert the fronts to superstruts as he spent a while fitting the front drivetrain from the levin GT to my E11. But it has to be done, the superstrut is so unique that i have to experience it for myself. Any ideas where to look for these parts? I like the koni adjustables from the corolla FX site so i may want to look into that. :thumbsup:

Dam, that is a lot of work! Well the guy working on my car will not be too happy if i told him to convert the fronts to superstruts as he spent a while fitting the front drivetrain from the levin GT to my E11. But it has to be done, the superstrut is so unique that i have to experience it for myself. Any ideas where to look for these parts? I like the koni adjustables from the corolla FX site so i may want to look into that. :thumbsup:

I like your thinking, I see you're determined anyway! The only way I can see it being worthwhile is if you get the parts cheap from a scrapped SuperStrut AE101/AE111. The only other way is from Toyota, which I'll say no more on for obvious reasons. Otherwise if you want a harsher ride/excellent handling, just get a set of coilovers like those Koni adjustables you mentioned.

TBH I wouldn't really call it an experience, it just offers slightly better handling/steering, that's all. The traling rocker arm's (AKA the SuperStrut arm) main purpose is to hold the camber of wheel stable during cornering for increased grip and precise steering. Alternatively, just go for a test drive in a SS ST202/205 Celica or a SS AE101/AE111 Levin/Trueno and see for yourself. Basically, what i'm trying to say is, it's not worth the hassle!

hummmmm............. :huh: well, even if i wanted to go through with it, it will have to wait as im still working to get my car on the road. Hopefully be done before JAE so i can drive down. But i am about 80% sure that i want to go through with the superstrut. They are quite fragile doe as i have heard, it this true?

Ball joints and bushes go on any car, it's just Superstrut cars have a damn site more bushes and ball joints to go. My car is full of ball joints, it's a pretty complicated set-up. If I was you, i'd be tempted to buy a Supercharged Levin with Superstrut.

It would be a massive job to change to superstrut! I did it when I did my 4agze comnversion.

The only thing to remember about superstrut that you have the 60k knocking problem that the gt4 has also.. And thats expensive to fix

Knowlson is right... The parts alone come up to £400 if your lucky then your looking at labour.

Have to remember that the lower arms on the GT4 have to be replaced along with the SS at the same time.

Ball joints and bushes go on any car, it's just Superstrut cars have a damn site more bushes and ball joints to go. My car is full of ball joints, it's a pretty complicated set-up. If I was you, i'd be tempted to buy a Supercharged Levin with Superstrut.

LOL, and who might have one of them for sale? :D

All jokes aside though, the AE101 GT-Z is an excellent handling powerful car and if got for the right price is an absolute bargain so you should consider it if you really want to experience the SS.

EDIT: Sorry Ecsy, I see you have a GT-Apex for sale and not a GT-Z!

Yeah, I wasn't trying to pimp my car. :)

That said, how about you buy my car siu16? ;) lol

There is a GT-Z on Pistonheads and the joker wants £3,800 for it. :blink:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to pimp my car. :)

That said, how about you buy my car siu16? ;) lol

There is a GT-Z on Pistonheads and the joker wants £3,800 for it. :blink:

Would love to buy your GT-Z Escy, but i have just bought a levin GT APEX, and ripped it apart to fit everything into my E11. My car still isn't finished so am preparing myself for more money out of my pocket to get it done. :crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...

Hm.. perhaps i can share abit.

Msia road condition is about the same as what you guys have been described. los of bump and hole. Im having AE101 SS on my AE111 corolla. Well the ride was firm but comfort enaugh. high speed cornering was good and steering respond is good too.

however, the lower arm and ball joint doesnt last that long though. In Msia, not many mech do know the proper way of installing or dismantling the SS parts. AFAIK, there is 2 tools specially needed. Also SS weight 20kg more thn stock mcpherson.

There is some diff between AE101 SS and AE111 SS on the ball joint design

• 2 years later...

hey guyz.m kinda new here so dnt mind m tawkin crap.

i av got tis levin AE111 wth blacktop inside.wana du it up sm more.but dnt knw hw du i go abt duin it.