Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tft Screen In The Centre Console Compartment

se99paj

I borrowed a friends TomTom the other day and realised just how good they are. It got me thikng about a carPC. I would prefer to hide the TFT screen so that someone won't be tempted to break into my car and steal it.

I there is a compartment on the centre console just above the ashtray that looks perfect to hide away a TFT monitor, or maybe fit a DIN sized motorised screen.

Does anyone know if this has been done before?? or does it sound like a ridiculous idea??

it would mean some major modification of the centre console... it could probably be done, but would it look good though?

You wouldn't have to modify the outside of the centre console at all. Most of the work and fittings will be behind the dash. Actually the car cold be fitted with a complete stealth Car-PC I was thinking the same thing for my T3. I did all the calculations and measurements and planning, but due to a lack of finances, I didnt go through with it as I couldnt buy the equipment.

If you are confident in some DIY modifications to the back of the centre console. The empty compartment would need to be cut and the new screen (I presume motorised 1 din unit?) could be screwed up into the top of the compartment. This would mean you keep the compartment door too. Some minor fibreglass work to tidy up (should you need to) would easily allow you to install the screen.

The small storage space between the cupholders and gearstick could easily accommodate a USB hub. Or if you are a non-smoker, you could install the USB hub in the ashtray (like I was planning).

The actual PC can be located in the glove box or under the passenger seat, or even in the arm-rest storage spot.

The Corolla is in fact primed to be fitted with a stealth Car-PC. Might actually make it a mission to install one soon as my current head unit is on its way out.

One BIG thing to remember .....

If you want car PC for sat nav, don't bother there is no tom tom for PC

and theres no good alternative for linux or normal windows.

One BIG thing to remember .....

If you want car PC for sat nav, don't bother there is no tom tom for PC

and theres no good alternative for linux or normal windows.

Does Windows mobile 5 (or the new version 6) not install on standard PC hardware then?

I have looked tired and installed all O/S and most of the apps for using in a car pc and i'm afraid that for a car pc all software out there has its down fall's and GPS is the biggest.

I have a 1Ghz mini-itx board, with a Karputer 1 din touch screen VGA tft, and the only reason it's still sitting on my floor and not in the car is the software.

There is nothing out there that does it all. But main as I said GPS is the downfall

and the new auto route isn't for using in a car... close but not there yet.

have a look at this software

Centrafuse - http://www.fluxmedia.net/

Yup tried that but still the GPS map's and software interface for the GPS is no good espeaicaly for europe and the uk. The response on searching my 12000 tracks for something takes ages where programs like itunes its instant.

Oh and you will have to pay for it and its still in development.

best free all rounder is road runner but again .... not for GPS.

Until tomtom for PC exists or there is a linux distribution with goods apps, and maps

you will have to pay around £1000+ to get your car PC a useful GSP system.

If you want all your music in the car, avi, games, DVD then a car pc is for you.

If you want mainly GPS get a tomtom.

i

I've been looking into a 1 DIN car PC, i have found somewhere to get them (not UK), good spec too, just needs a screen.

Best screen in the uk for a car pc is here

Karputer

http://www.karputer.co.uk/karputer.php?pag...orisedindashvga

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links