Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Much Difference From A Rev3 Mr2 Tubby

jdbecks

just got an insurance quote for £615 for a supra TT import with bell insurance

how much more will running costs be over my tubby? and mpg?

cheers

jon

Running costs? Hard to say really, some jobs (ie cambelt) are easier on the Supra because its easier to get at. General servicing and parts are probably a bit more expensive but not hugely different.

My mkiii 2.5TT and the mkiv 3.0TT seem to do about the same on fuel, 18-20MPG normally, up to around 25 on a motorway run if you're not being too silly ;) From what I've heard, that's not too different from the MR2 turbo.

I drive a mkiii Supra and an N/A mkii MR2 regularly and they're very different beasts though. The Supra is definitely more a GT to the MR2's sportscar. Both excellent, but at different things :)

It depends on the miles you do......

My mkiii turbo was waaaaaaaay better on mpg then my UK SW-20..... purely because I mostly did motorway miles...

Supra At motorway crusing was (80 mph at about 2500 rpm) vs mr2 at 80 at about 4-5k rpm....

I was pretty shocked when my 3.0T out economised my 2.0 n/a!!!!!

That said..... my 2.0TT rapes fuel more then any other supra I have encountered!!!

what about the mk4's thats the ones im looking at buying?

how do they drive compared to the mr2?

Having owned a rev 3 tubby for just short of 2 years and driven both an Auto and Manual TT soop I cna honestly say that the MR2 is more 'fun' to drive.

The soop is great for cruising and mid to top end speeds but you dont get the rush or the kick that a tubby gives you in the back of your neck as you come on boost.

At brunters my mate who came along with me was lucky enough to jump into the Skunk supra which was pushing 400bhp+ according to the owner. One he had come back off the track he said to me that it didnt 'feel' much quicker than my MR2 but when he looked down he was hitting 120mph round a bend where i could only hit 95.

They are totally different cars and personally I think the mk4 soop is a barge! It felt very heavy aroud corners when i drove it and the turbo were very very smooth and progressive which is totally opposite to the tubby.

Im sure i aint helped you one bit and all these opinions are solely mine from what i have encountered and not just speculated. :thumbsup:

Having owned a rev 3 tubby for just short of 2 years and driven both an Auto and Manual TT soop I cna honestly say that the MR2 is more 'fun' to drive.

The soop is great for cruising and mid to top end speeds but you dont get the rush or the kick that a tubby gives you in the back of your neck as you come on boost.

At brunters my mate who came along with me was lucky enough to jump into the Skunk supra which was pushing 400bhp+ according to the owner. One he had come back off the track he said to me that it didnt 'feel' much quicker than my MR2 but when he looked down he was hitting 120mph round a bend where i could only hit 95.

They are totally different cars and personally I think the mk4 soop is a barge! It felt very heavy aroud corners when i drove it and the turbo were very very smooth and progressive which is totally opposite to the tubby.

Im sure i aint helped you one bit and all these opinions are solely mine from what i have encountered and not just speculated. :thumbsup:

and what about the general running costs? i dont struggle to run a tubby...but then im not sure how much an impact 19mpg will effect me lol...i do drive alot and it will be my only car

I cant speak for running costs as i have now owned a supra but im presuming it would be more costly in parts compared to the MR2 tubby.

Reliability will come down to how well it has been serviced etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have said the supra is more relaible as they don't get the heat soak, and its a more recent engine design.

Chassis wise not much in it.... :thumbsup: Supra is also way more economical if you do a lot of motorway miles!!!

running costs will be fractionally higher on the supra as its more rare than a tubby and as such garages charge more to work on them and parts cost a tad more. having owned a mk4 na supra, all sorts of mr2 turbo's and na's, the supra handles completely differently and doesnt give such an impact of acceleration and speed although up to 80mph, the supe is on par with a rev3 tubby.

however, once the supe breaks, it will be a lot more pricey to sort it, for example a blown turbo will cost about £500 for a used pair if you can find any. whereas a used tubby turbo is about £100-£250 depending on revision.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links