Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Yaris Engine

gregorvich

Hi everyone new to this forum-from galway ireland which is a real test for cars as our roads would not even rate as country lanes in the UK. Lived in Essex for 6 years pre 90 and belive me you should have no complaints over your billiard table smooth roads.

Any way wife bought a yaris in 2000- great little car, fab engine in fact unbrakable. On had to replace front shocks and a drop link after 85000 miles on galway roads. Last december wife got shunted over 3 foot bank with stone wall on top. Car a write off but wife sound. just a few brusies. Idiot went thru stop sign without stopping. Car definitly factor in lack of injury to wife. Full marks to crash design engineer-cab retained total integrity.

Decided to get new yaris with 1 litre engine as before. Car is great but engine is brutal. why oh why did they replace a very sound engine with this 2cv copy. Having friven a Diane in the eighties I now what I am talking about (they used to go about 5mph faster with the roof rolled up).

This engine has no torge and only seem to want to work above 3000 rpm. it also has a madding throttle which seems to hang after you take your foot off- the revs dont drop for a fraction of a second and actually increase some times. I thought it was me but try it out-accelerate strongly in 1st or second and watch the revs as you go thru neutral. I have driven another yaris of same spec and it does the same, is this some weird EMS thing for emissions etc.

Conclusion:Car great- 1 litre engine brutal get the bigger one

VVTI kicks in at 3000/3500rpm this is one of the reasons it will be happyer at those kinda engine speeds

as for the crash i wrapped mine round a lampost at 45 mph 5 people in the car i had taken his seat belt off (i didnt know at the time IDIOT) and not one had a mark, bump or bruise on them top marks for safety

Hi everyone new to this forum-from galway ireland which is a real test for cars as our roads would not even rate as country lanes in the UK. Lived in Essex for 6 years pre 90 and belive me you should have no complaints over your billiard table smooth roads.

Any way wife bought a yaris in 2000- great little car, fab engine in fact unbrakable. On had to replace front shocks and a drop link after 85000 miles on galway roads. Last december wife got shunted over 3 foot bank with stone wall on top. Car a write off but wife sound. just a few brusies. Idiot went thru stop sign without stopping. Car definitly factor in lack of injury to wife. Full marks to crash design engineer-cab retained total integrity.

Decided to get new yaris with 1 litre engine as before. Car is great but engine is brutal. why oh why did they replace a very sound engine with this 2cv copy. Having friven a Diane in the eighties I now what I am talking about (they used to go about 5mph faster with the roof rolled up).

This engine has no torge and only seem to want to work above 3000 rpm. it also has a madding throttle which seems to hang after you take your foot off- the revs dont drop for a fraction of a second and actually increase some times. I thought it was me but try it out-accelerate strongly in 1st or second and watch the revs as you go thru neutral. I have driven another yaris of same spec and it does the same, is this some weird EMS thing for emissions etc.

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup: The Yaris is a great car

I have owned both of the 1.0 litre engined Yaris's and think that the new 3 cylinder model has a lot more low to mid range torque than the 4 cylinder 1.0 litre had.

I have not experienced any problem with the throttle action on mine but do find that the engine will rev with very little movement required on the accelerator pedal.

firstly, i have sympathy for you if your roads are worse than ours

secondly, glad your wife was ok, the yaris does seem to be a strong little car

thirdly, i think you are expecting too much from a 1.0 yaris, it is an economical city car, not something that will go 0-60 in 11 secs (yes i meant 11secs)

for what it is, it is good, but it is not fast, even though it sounds fast

HTH

I know waht you mean about the new 1ltr Yaris i was given one as a courtesy car while mine was in for a service and i didn't rate it much, acceleration was worse than my 1ltr seemed very sluggish but it seemed to rev less at higher speeds, i didn't like it much.

I had a aygo sport last time it was in and i think that has the same engine but in a smaller lighter car performs much better, just didn't like the design or the interior at all and the ride was pants.

I know what you mean by the sound, I decribed it as a hair dryer!

The one I drove I had to thrash to get to go anywhere, I had if for just a day while my D4D was in for a little work on a Squeak that they seemed to build into it!

2CV had a flat twin aircooled unit IIRC.

Anyway I've had a 3cyl 1L car previously (Perodua Kenari) and I found it very willing after a little gentle running in (5 000 miles of 'reasonable' driving) it would do 0-60 in just under 10 secs and its top speed was 'straight down' with the needle (markings stopped with 100MPH at the 5 o'clock position).

Haven't tried with the Yaris yet but I will say that the electronics seem take over from what I tell it to do! (Yes I agree about the throttle 'hang/rev up' also see following)

There is a hill I travel up regularly with a roundabout at the bottom. My Kenari would accellerate up it in 2nd from a rolling start and be doing 30 by the time it was half way up, the Yaris from a rolling start 'jogs' up the hill accellerating gradually and finally reaches 30 when I get to the top.

Now I know the Yaris is a bit heavier but the engine isn't labouring, nor is it really trying (pedal is pegged to the floor!) I think the ecu measures load etc and 'works it all out'(inc actual throttle setting) so as not to strain the engine. (1st gear from the roundabout has me changing gear half way up at 30 MPH)

The Kenari has a 'proper' cable for the throttle and sucks air in when the flap is open!

I feel that the 1L Yaris is a bit sluggish @ low RPM, but I have adjusted my driving to suit. (I like the better fuel economy with the extra comfort and air con too! (It did get hot in the Kenari in summer!) PLUS the extra safty rating and cheaper Insurance)