Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Type Of Pistons

Brolly

hi i am planning to turbocharge my yaris 1.3..... somewhere in the forum some one told me that its better to fit a yrv turbo's piston to make sure that the engie is safe.....

know i am a bit consfused of wich piston i need to put if the yrv, forged or cast pistons...

can someone tell me which type are the best ??

you'd be better seeing if a performance piston company make a piston for the yaris engine. im not sure the YRV has the toyota engine and as such there may well be differences. companies like JE, ROSS, weiseco and mahal<sp> will make a prpooer forged piston that will handle the turbo stresses.

its worth noting that rod and main bolts should be up graded too. ARPO arre the world leader in performance hardware but again not sure if the make parts for the yaris engine

The YRV Turbo pistons is what you are asking for. Yes, you can order some custom made pistons but th YRV's pistons cost only 280€ :thumbsup: ! Custom pistons for turbo applications cost at least double :huh:

We have already DONE this mod :yahoo: . It is not just a rumour. Believe it or not... :unsure:

• 3 months later...

hi could you tell me from where i can buy the YRV pistions online as here in malta yrvs parts are a bit rear :(

we have but brand new parts are very very expensive... so i am looking for 2nd hand pistions...

are 2nd hand pistions suggestied or ?

If your going for a turbo conversion then you only need to change the pistons to lower the compression ratio if you are going to run big boost.

The most important thing to change is the conrods as they are VERY thin and a bit suspect as to how much power they can handle.

If anyone ever mentions CAST materials STAY WELL AWAY! casting are basically rubish especially compared to forged alternatives, always go for the forged option if you can as they will be much stronger and last longer.

Hope that helps.

Brad =)

it's 280 euros for new yrv pistons

rossP could you tell me from where ? you know ofany online store or they could be availabel from the local dealer of diahtsu?

its a different engine, yrv pistons will not fit....

and mr brad....... you change pistons because with greater performance increases, standard pistons tend to melt.

and mr brad....... you change pistons because with greater performance increases, standard pistons tend to melt.

i dont think that they are that different as i've read on a Daihatsu forum that even the yaris t sportgearbox fits st8 away on the yrv's engine.... even on the sirions... so i think if they arent the same they are very similar to each other

The YRV Turbo pistons is what you are asking for. Yes, you can order some custom made pistons but th YRV's pistons cost only 280€ thumbsup.gif ! Custom pistons for turbo applications cost at least double huh.gif

We have already DONE this mod yahoo.gif . It is not just a rumour. Believe it or not... unsure.gif

Dude it's already been done in Greece...

And yes Brolly you can get the pistons from your daihatsu dealer

not to a 2nz-fe, and if the yrv engine is "loosly" the same as the newer spec 1.3 toyota engine, how would the TS gearbox mount up to it?

not to a 2nz-fe, and if the yrv engine is "loosly" the same as the newer spec 1.3 toyota engine, how would the TS gearbox mount up to it?

Just because its different doesnt mean it wont fit. Lots of engines have interchangeable parts. Lots of manufacturers use the same parts from the same part manufacturers cos its cheaper. Toyota probably made the daihatsu pistons for daihatsu or something. Do you think all car companies never use the same suppliers or sell to eachother?

If the engine is "loosely" the same but some parts arent the same that doesnt matter as long as the RELEVANT parts are the same. If the gearbox mounting/connection was the same then the whole rest of the engine could be different and it wouldnt change the fact that you could still put the t sport gearbox on.

Have you actually tried to fit daihatsu pistons to a yaris 1.3, or are you just being a naysayer for the sake of it? People have been swapping stuff between makes and models for years, you would be surprised what you can do.

Theres people on here who have done it ffs (and i would like to see pics).

yes because all engines are made out of lego. you dont have a clue...... i've tried to fit landrover pistons in a metro but it didn't work........ damn i shouldnt have listened to that 1 legged whippit.

yes because all engines are made out of lego. you dont have a clue...... i've tried to fit landrover pistons in a metro but it didn't work........ damn i shouldnt have listened to that 1 legged whippit.

Sorry now your just being silly! YES not all pistons are interchangeable OF COURSE!!! However people have said it has been done!!! As in the Tsport running YRV pistons exists. It's actually happened....in real life! Have you tried to do it? Atm it's your word of someone who hasn't tried it saying it can't be done compared to someone who has actually done it/seen it done? Just seems a little bit silly! Admitedly direct contact with the blokey who has done it or pictures would be nice but otherwise why would they claim it can be done if it cant? Why would you claim two cars couldn't possibly share interchangeable pistons?

i've got a money tree, honestly........got no pics, but you believe me right?? i'll even send you 2p to plant in your garden so you can grow one too........

as usual, no one knows f*** all about anything on this forum lol.......

love you w00dy

if i rememer correctly here is the forum is a persom with a yaris with yrv's pisotopn on a 1.3 turbo charge yaris... i i remember correctly his nickname is monacular

hi monacular is it possibel to post some pics of your engine bay and wells us what was needed to transplant the yrv's pistions on the yaris

ts a different engine, yrv pistons will not fit....

i've got a money tree, honestly........got no pics, but you believe me right?? i'll even send you 2p to plant in your garden so you can grow one too........

as usual, no one knows f*** all about anything on this forum lol.......

love you w00dy

Dear mr/mrs anoying person who obviously doesn't know anything about cars, or engines or engineering in general....

If the piston is the same diameter with the same gudgeon bore and a similar enough piston deck height etc... then the pistons will fit!!! It doesn't matter who made it, where it was made or what it is made out of, if the dimensions are similar enough they will fit!

Just talk to anyone who has a vintage car! they find some interesting combinations of engine parts from more modern cars to replace bits that can not be replace with origional parts.

As for melting pistons..... OH DEAR! firstly how hot do you think a 1.3 with a small turbo producing 130 ish BHP is going to get? and also what do you think toyota.... arguably the biggest motor company in the world who spend millions on material developments make their pistons out of????

DO you actually have anything constructive to say or you just content with talking through your second largest orrifice? :!Removed!:

Brad =)

For a start, although not concrete evidence they will fit, the bore of the P2 1.3 and the YRV pistons are the same bore which may back up the guy saying about the 1.3 turbo with YRV internals (Atleast more believable as they will atleast physically fit in the cylinder!

Also

Engine from a Yaris

Toyota owns 51 per cent of Daihatsu, so it's not so surprising that the Toyota Yaris's all-aluminium 1.3 engine is made by Daihatsu. In its YRV form, as in the Sirion and Terios, the twin-cam engine has a smaller bore and a longer stroke but retains the continuously-variable inlet-cam timing. The state of tune is halfway between that of the Sirion and the Terios, with 87 bhp at 6000 rpm and 89 lb ft of torque at a low 3200 rpm. The turbo version on sale in Japan delivers 140 bhp, but the planned European version may lose a little power in meeting EU emissions limits.

And for your knowledge thel337 Ross owns a car tuning shop and has alot to do with the cyprus yaris club where alot of them do turbo charge and change pistons!

I see what you mean here. It seems the YRV pistons will only fit the P2 1.3s but also that the Tsport gbox fits the YRV engine. I think that would make sense as toyota designed the engine for the Daihatsu so they probably based internals on P2 but kept the TSport gbox mountings. It would make sense for toyota to use parts of existing engine design in their latest engine designs. Also people have done the two things above...

And for your knowledge thel337 Ross owns a car tuning shop and has alot to do with the cyprus yaris club where alot of them do turbo charge and change pistons!

Yeh but that really has nothing to do with it