Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

? Megan Racing Header ?'s

ToTo_17

I've done searching and only managed to come up with a few things... So by putting on the Megan Racing Manifold from Envy instead of the stock manifold, will the CEL light come on or not? Is there anything special that needs to be done for the CEL light from not coming on? I know there is a sensor after the cat, but is there one in the manifold as well or in the pre cat section that needs to be dealt with? The manifold just bolts right on right? How about the heatshield, does that go back on as well?

I might be planning on getting the manifold first, and keep the stock cat for now... My current setup is: stock manifold, stock cat. After stock cat: test pipe instead of middle silencer, larger midsection and piping, Envy Exhaust.

Thanks to all! :)

the cel light won't come on as your only increasing the flow of gasses not removing the cat.

The manifold won't directly fit the phase 2 stock system so your better off getting the whole package together to save messing about.

Don't forget you need a new hole in the manifold to put the sensor and you need one less I think it's before the cat.

if ordering from envy get kevin to do it, it will only be a few quid extra for a sensor hole

the cel light won't come on as your only increasing the flow of gasses not removing the cat.

The manifold won't directly fit the phase 2 stock system so your better off getting the whole package together to save messing about.

Don't forget you need a new hole in the manifold to put the sensor and you need one less I think it's before the cat.

if ordering from envy get kevin to do it, it will only be a few quid extra for a sensor hole

How come the manifold wont directly fit phase 2, what do you mean by messing about? Thanks a lot for the info! :)

How come the manifold wont directly fit phase 2, what do you mean by messing about? Thanks a lot for the info! :)

Different manifold on the phase 2, same fitment to the engine only there's a sensor in the manifold, and the flange is different. So it won't directly fit.

By messing around I mean it will take a lot of effort to get the phase 1 manifold to fit the stock system and it's not the easiest of locations to get to and work.

It's easier to get the rest of the exhaust system from kevin as that has the flanges on to meet up with the manifold, rather than trying to fit the manifold and doing the pipework, then maybe in a few months time you decide to change something else, there's more work involved that way around and it will cost you more.

Just so you know there's only 1 sensor in the phase 2, and that's after the cat unlike phase 1 where the sensors are before and after the cat

Different manifold on the phase 2, same fitment to the engine only there's a sensor in the manifold, and the flange is different. So it won't directly fit.

By messing around I mean it will take a lot of effort to get the phase 1 manifold to fit the stock system and it's not the easiest of locations to get to and work.

It's easier to get the rest of the exhaust system from kevin as that has the flanges on to meet up with the manifold, rather than trying to fit the manifold and doing the pipework, then maybe in a few months time you decide to change something else, there's more work involved that way around and it will cost you more.

Just so you know there's only 1 sensor in the phase 2, and that's after the cat unlike phase 1 where the sensors are before and after the cat

Do you know of a phase 2 Megan header or anyone who has just fitted this header to their phase 2 Yaris or TS and kept the rest of the exhaust system? Is the Megan header a big difference in power to the stock one? What do you mean by the rest of the exhaust system? After the cat, I have a test pipe instead of the mid silencer and larger piping in the middle section til the Envy exhaust. The stock exhaust does not have a flange to connect to or is it different from the Megan header and that is why it would be difficult to install?

Do you know of a phase 2 Megan header or anyone who has just fitted this header to their phase 2 Yaris or TS and kept the rest of the exhaust system? Is the Megan header a big difference in power to the stock one? What do you mean by the rest of the exhaust system? After the cat, I have a test pipe instead of the mid silencer and larger piping in the middle section til the Envy exhaust. The stock exhaust does not have a flange to connect to or is it different from the Megan header and that is why it would be difficult to install?

There is no phase 2 megan header, 5 zigen may make one but haven't come across it yet, other than that there's TRD but very expensive.

The phase 2 flange is different to the phase 1, so a lot of messing around is required just to fit a manifold.

Forget about the rest of the exhaust system, order a header from Kevin and get him to make a hole for the sensor on it and order a flexi down pipe, as this will have the right flange to fit the header, then it should mate up with the stock system just before the cat. Also the flexi pipe would be a must as it can stop the header from cracking over time. But I would also suggest if there's any possibility of a sports cat in the future get it done at the same time, just to save money.

and yes there should be a bigger difference in power, especially if you get a sports cat.

There is no phase 2 megan header, 5 zigen may make one but haven't come across it yet, other than that there's TRD but very expensive.

The phase 2 flange is different to the phase 1, so a lot of messing around is required just to fit a manifold.

Forget about the rest of the exhaust system, order a header from Kevin and get him to make a hole for the sensor on it and order a flexi down pipe, as this will have the right flange to fit the header, then it should mate up with the stock system just before the cat. Also the flexi pipe would be a must as it can stop the header from cracking over time. But I would also suggest if there's any possibility of a sports cat in the future get it done at the same time, just to save money.

and yes there should be a bigger difference in power, especially if you get a sports cat.

Thanks for all the info guys! :thumbsup:

Armored: But you mentioned,

"Just so you know there's only 1 sensor in the phase 2, and that's after the cat unlike phase 1 where the sensors are before and after the cat"

So why make a hole in the manifold if there's only one sensor which is after the cat? :blink: I would love to get a sports cat, but its a question of funds basically.

I'm just letting you know that it's easier to do the full system than parts of it, and I forgot you already had a mid pipe.

Not everyone knows the location of the sensors.

I'm just letting you know that it's easier to do the full system than parts of it, and I forgot you already had a mid pipe.

Not everyone knows the location of the sensors.

So there's a sensor in the manifold for my phase 2 TS or only the one after the cat?

one in the manifold and one after the cat

one in the manifold and one after the cat

Ok, and with my current setup, how wil the sound difference be with the Megan header on? With my current setup the sound is very good and deep... So if I get Kevin to drill a hole in the header and weld the ring on, is that all that pretty much needs to be done? Why wont the flange fit the pre-cat flange? Could a local muffler shop make it fit with their flange? How would you do it? How about the CEL light, with the manifold on and perhaps a sports cat, is it possible the CEL light will come on? I really wouldn't like that at all...

Do I need to disconnect the Battery or fuse to reset the ECU after the new manifold or sports cat? How about with the lambda sensor after taking it out and putting it back in, and with the O2 sensor?

it will sound different, it will be louder as your letting more gas out faster, but you can't really explain the sound.

All kevin needs to do as add a ring for the sensor.

the flange/manifold won't fit the phase 2 because it's a different car to the phase 1. It has the same engine that's why the one side of the manifold fit's but that's why the other side doesn't fit.

Yes it can be made to fit, keep the same flange on the manifold, ask kevin for a flange just incase your exhaust shop hasn't got the right one, you do NOT want to be cutting up the manifold and putting a new flange on that.

All the exhaust place will do is take your old exhaust and manifold off fit the new manifold and flange and get them to line up.

As already said the cel light shouldn't come on as your not making it into a decat, the light only comes on when the emissions are to high.

Manifold is only removing restriction as well as a sports cat. Sport cat does exactly the same job as a normal cat only it's more free flowing.

As discussed ages ago, it's personal choice as whether disconnecting the Battery to reset the ecu make any difference or not. It's up to you on this one, and your not changing the sensors so nothing to worry about there.

As far as I am aware no manifolds are are threaded on the ends, they bolt together with the flanges. So no probs.

If your not 100% happy because the cel light may come on don't fit a manifold. It's all about learning and making mistakes.

it will sound different, it will be louder as your letting more gas out faster, but you can't really explain the sound.

All kevin needs to do as add a ring for the sensor.

the flange/manifold won't fit the phase 2 because it's a different car to the phase 1. It has the same engine that's why the one side of the manifold fit's but that's why the other side doesn't fit.

Yes it can be made to fit, keep the same flange on the manifold, ask kevin for a flange just incase your exhaust shop hasn't got the right one, you do NOT want to be cutting up the manifold and putting a new flange on that.

All the exhaust place will do is take your old exhaust and manifold off fit the new manifold and flange and get them to line up.

As already said the cel light shouldn't come on as your not making it into a decat, the light only comes on when the emissions are to high.

Manifold is only removing restriction as well as a sports cat. Sport cat does exactly the same job as a normal cat only it's more free flowing.

As discussed ages ago, it's personal choice as whether disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu make any difference or not. It's up to you on this one, and your not changing the sensors so nothing to worry about there.

As far as I am aware no manifolds are are threaded on the ends, they bolt together with the flanges. So no probs.

If your not 100% happy because the cel light may come on don't fit a manifold. It's all about learning and making mistakes.

Thanks Armored for your input and assistance! :thumbsup:

I'll go ahead and ask Kevin for a flange if I go ahead and order... I've read so many different opinioins about the Megan header on TOC as well as other forums. Here, the feedback is quite positive! On other forums, its kind of varied. Some people say its too expensive for only like 1-2 bhp if that at all...

Also anoher issue Im thinking about is that whether the manifold or perhaps a sports cat can have any negative effects on the engine or car itlself? Im also thinking about perhaps putting in a sports cat. The local exhaust shop can do it for cheaper than Envy, my main problem is basically shipping from the UK which will make it quite expensive, so if I go ahead with a sports cat, then I'll just get that from the local exhaust shop. The header however if I go ahead and get it, I'll order it from Kevin instead of having the local shop just make one. I'll have to make the shop drill a hole for the second sensor as well though for after the cat.

I also read that some sports cats will make you fail MOT tests if not right away, but after a few years. Is this an issue with anybody here on TOC? I really don't want to fail MOT or have problems with the sports cat, and not at all cause any problems for the engine or car itself. Also, I really dont want any problems with the CEL light or anything like that... Is there a chance for anything like this to happen or arise by adding these mods? My TS is 1.5 year years old, still under warranty by Toyota. I really dont care about this if these mods wont cause any problems for sure. I know they mainly increase gas flow and give better response, but what will Toyota say just if anything happens? Isnt the ecu self learning by the way? I also read here on TOC that many people mentioned this and that there is no need to reset the ecu because it learns itself and continually adjusts to the driving style. Is this true?

I know you mentioned about the sound, but with my current setup, (after stock cat: test pipe (resonator) instead of middle silencer, 2,25 piping through the mid section and Envy Megan Racing backbox) the sound is really good and deep in tone, I just dont want to really lose it and make it worse, but its not a big deal if it deeper and louder. Do you think by adding the manifold and sports cat, it will make it even louder and deeper, or will it make it sound like a tractor instead and too raspy for the Yaris?

I know the feedback here on TOC is quite positive for these mods, but overall do you think that these 2 mods will be worth it and I can feel atleast some or little gains and responsiveness from the car than now how it is by the "front" of the exhaust being stock? Or just leave it as is and remain stock up front? :unsure::wacko::huh::help:

Thanks so much to you and to all! :D All input is welcome, its just big help for me before deciding on these mods...

the sound's hard to describe, I suppose it would be a bit raspier with faster flowing gas but it should also be louder and deeper.

I thought of this today, but have been working all day so couldn't reply

If you get your manifold from envy make sure you get a flexi downpipe, this will have the right flange on to fit the manifold so it will save time, and also the reason kevin sells the flexi downpipe with exhaust systems it just incase the manifold cracks over time from the strain of the engine.

So with the flexi pipe it could save a future problem.

If your car's 1.5 yrs old I wouldn't bother with the manifold just yet, as if anything happened to the engine they may blame it on the manifold even though this may not be causing the problem. I'd say wait a while longer.

the sound's hard to describe, I suppose it would be a bit raspier with faster flowing gas but it should also be louder and deeper.

I thought of this today, but have been working all day so couldn't reply

If you get your manifold from envy make sure you get a flexi downpipe, this will have the right flange on to fit the manifold so it will save time, and also the reason kevin sells the flexi downpipe with exhaust systems it just incase the manifold cracks over time from the strain of the engine.

So with the flexi pipe it could save a future problem.

If your car's 1.5 yrs old I wouldn't bother with the manifold just yet, as if anything happened to the engine they may blame it on the manifold even though this may not be causing the problem. I'd say wait a while longer.

I'll ask Kevin what the flexi downpipe costs along with sports cat. Does anyone know what this might cost together? Im real curious what shipping will be as well... I might get all three mods at once, your right it would just be easier regarding installation and lining up and flanges, it just depends on the price and shipping now. On Envy's site I see the sports cat section for a TSport, and in the picture I see a hole in the flexi downpipe, what's that for? Isnt the sensor in the manifold and after the cat?

You've got a 04 TS right? You also modding with these parts? I'll just keep my fingers crossed that no problems arise, I'm sure its pretty unlikely that anything will go wrong...

On other forums, its kind of varied. Some people say its too expensive for only like 1-2 bhp if that at all...

You've not been reading a thread on YarisWorld have you?

Yes exactly thats where I read it! :thumbsup:

On Echodrivers.com its kind of a mixed feedback, positive and negative as well...

How about you RossP? Opinions on this setup and thread? Anybody else? :unsure:

Just make sure you make it clear to kevin the situation and what it's going on! If you get sports cat with flexi pipe im pretty sure its something like £160? This doesn't include the cat back to axle pipe work but you say you don't need that! Your best bet is to ring kevin and ask all the questions on the phone to him as he can reassure you AND you will know if he can change bits there and then :thumbsup:

it costs £350 for flexi pipe sports cat and rest of pipework from sports cat to backbox but no backbox.

Not having the mid section will reduce the price but you'd have to ask kevin.

The hole near the flexipipe is for the phase 1, as I said the manifold is different but the rest of the pipework is the same, and the sensor locations are in different positions on the phase 1 compared to the phase 2.

At the moment I only have the fujitsubo backbox but i'm saving up for the rest of the system, only i'm getting a different manifold, along with the sports cat.

Yes exactly thats where I read it! :thumbsup:

On Echodrivers.com its kind of a mixed feedback, positive and negative as well...

How about you RossP? Opinions on this setup and thread? Anybody else? :unsure:

Firstly you need to stop reading the thread on YarisWorld. Right now. As that is a site dedicated to the NEW Yaris. Yes, in Japan and America they use the 1NZ-FE, but they have still had to re-design the manifold, as the old 1NZ-FE manifold is not a direct bolt up to the new Yaris Chassis. Oh and if you also read, they still haven't done a proper dyno outside out Megan Racing as the one that they did use, the Dyno was not configured properly (hence why they got **** results)

You should have a read on Scion Life under the Xb and Xa, as they mostly all give a good review of the Megan Racing Manifold. Have you not considered getting an OBX 4-2-1, as that already has the boss mounted for the O2 sensor. SOme good reviews of that as well. Your opinion in the end of the day.

Just be careful what forum you are reading from ;)

Just make sure you make it clear to kevin the situation and what it's going on! If you get sports cat with flexi pipe im pretty sure its something like £160? This doesn't include the cat back to axle pipe work but you say you don't need that! Your best bet is to ring kevin and ask all the questions on the phone to him as he can reassure you AND you will know if he can change bits there and then :thumbsup:

Ok, best bet! I'll phone Kevin and ask him all the stuff. Yeah, I only need the manifold and flexi pipe and sports cat. The only thing Im worried about is shipping costs via TNT, it might make it rather expensive. My local exhaust shop can also supply a sports cat and a flexi pipe perhaps, but then the flanges and fitting might cause problems. I'll have to see what the shipping will be, would really like to get the entire stup from Envy, but you know that financial question is also important. :yes:

it costs £350 for flexi pipe sports cat and rest of pipework from sports cat to backbox but no backbox.

Not having the mid section will reduce the price but you'd have to ask kevin.

The hole near the flexipipe is for the phase 1, as I said the manifold is different but the rest of the pipework is the same, and the sensor locations are in different positions on the phase 1 compared to the phase 2.

At the moment I only have the fujitsubo backbox but i'm saving up for the rest of the system, only i'm getting a different manifold, along with the sports cat.

Ok, got ya! :) What manifold are you getting, and will it be from Envy? Why not the Megan one?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links