Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Car Failed It's Test On These Things

madder

Can anyone tell me what these things mean as regards cost to have fixed or if they are serious issues?

Exhaust Emissions on High Idle above 0.3% is a fail. Mine was 0.41% and failed here

Visual defects Bodywork(35) door catches insecure nearside rear so fail/refusal/1

Visual Defects Exhaust System/Noise Exhaust pipe insecure in the middle so Fail/Refusal/1

Visual Defects Rear Suspension system (55) Anti Roll Bar and links Worn nearside rear so fail/refusal/1

Transmission(57) Engine Leaking Middle front so fail/refusal/1 he said it might be engine or gearbox

Amazingly he didn't fail my headlights even though I tried and tried in vain to set them and even my mechanic couldn't set them without replacing one of them(which I decided against for the moment). That passed!

My door lock, which apparantly should have been an issue, despite what some people think, didn't fail either. It won't lock or unlock with a key, so I just left it unlocked before the test!!

It failed for leaking oil?! That must be a fairly large leak, i own several old cars which all drop oil, and that has never been a problem. I just have a gravel drive!

youve got a picky test station there!

emmisions- may just need a good service as they're not much out

door catch? have a look and see if you can see what he means, possibly a loose handle but thats being very picky

exhaust - sounds like a rubber mount has split, no big deal and an easy fix

anti roll bar bushes- just buy sone new ones and fit (shouldnt be too expensive from Mr T and fairly easy to fit

oil leak? how bad is it? i have never heard of a car failing for an oil leak

oil leak? how bad is it? i have never heard of a car failing for an oil leak

It might have dripped into his morning coffee !! :o

It does sound like there were some very petty fails in that lot though.

This is National Car Test (Ireland.)

He said the door catch was a case of tightening a couple of screws.

The exhaust being loose I can understand a fail on that.

The Emissions? Not much out but he failed it, I guess Ireland is very pro Green!!

The Oil Leak? I got a full service in the autumn and the mechanic said there was a couple of small leaks but that they were nothing to worry about. So I'm not sure about that. I never see Oil on my driveway but I do have to top up now and again.

The Anti Roll Bar Bushes: I know nothing about these things myself. If I get it done by a mechanic how much would it be roughly? Or how difficult would it be to do myself knwoing that I don't even know what it is?

Edit: 4 of them are listed as Fail/Refusals(1)/ I think these used to be fail advisory but they have done away with that here. The only one listed as a normal Fail Refusal is the emissions.

I had the anti roll bar bushes on my Celica changed a couple of years ago by Mr T, (you could tell as there was a clunking noise when going round corners). I think it cost me about £100, or 145 € for you.

They are basically just a couple of piece of hard rubber, so should only cost about £20, but probably looking at a couple of hours of labour to strip and fit these.

If you know a good local mechanic, just buy the parts from Toyota and get them to fit is, you would save on labour.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links