Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 Rav Reversing Sensors Failure

ahmurray

Greetings!

I had a set of reversing sensors fitted by the Toyota dealer on our 2002 Rav4 when we bought it (used) in April 2005.

A couple of weeks ago my wife noticed that when engaging reverse, the beep was sounding constantly even though there was nothing in range of the sensors. This carried on happening every time Reverse was engaged.

I gave them a wipe over with a cloth which seemed to help a bit, in that the beep was slightly more intermittent, but there is still something badly wrong.

the car is booked in with the dealers to be looked at next Friday, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to avoid a main dealer style bill?

Hopefully it is just one failed sensor, which shouldn't cost a fortune, although over the phone they were muttering about having to take the bumper off to get access which sounded like a fair bit of work?

Presumably the warranty on the sensors would only be 12 months but I would have hoped they would have lasted longer than 2 years!

Cheers,

Ali

Hi Ali

I fitted a set of genuine Toyota sensors to a 4.2 earlier this week. There are two sensors on the back door and one on each quarter bumper. The sensors will sound continuously if any of the wires have gone open circuit. The only way you can check this is by following the wires from each sensor back to the control unit which is behind the drivers side panel in the boot. It is quite a fiddle as the entire boot side panels have to come off as does the rear door panel. The instructions for doing all that are on the Toyota Publications website if you feel like you want to have a go.

However, there is something you could try. If you look closely at the sensors you will see a circular recessed groove on each one. Look very carefully at them and check that there is no bits of dirt or grit in any of them. Get a small electrical screwdriver and flick any foriegn matter out. The slightest bit will cause them to sound so if you are not sure, hose them out afterwards.

The sensing field is emmited from that recess so anything in there will fool it into thinking something is behind the car.

Good luck

Check out that warranty. I'm pretty sure that when i got rear sensors put on my 4.3 the brochure states they are covered for three years. There is even a bit in the service book to get stamped when you have bits fitted. I'll try to find a brochure for the 4.2 and see itf the warranty is mentioned. Rich.

Ali, I have had a look but can't find the warrany bit mentioned . Maybee i'm confused and any genuine accessories are covered under the period of the cars warranty, but you must get a warranty when you buy accessories even after the cars has finnished (like in your case). Worth asking anyway, good luck.

Rich.

Anchorman,

I am very pleased to say that on inspecting the sensors more closely at the weekend in view of your advice, I spotted a tiny piece of fibre which was stuck to one of the sensors and effectively "shorting" across from the inner to outer sensor rings.

scraped it with my fingernail, off it came, and the sensors are now working normally.

Thanks ever so much for your help, saved me the inconvenience and expense of a dealer trip.

Long live these forums!

Cheers,

Ali

Anchorman,

I am very pleased to say that on inspecting the sensors more closely at the weekend in view of your advice, I spotted a tiny piece of fibre which was stuck to one of the sensors and effectively "shorting" across from the inner to outer sensor rings.

scraped it with my fingernail, off it came, and the sensors are now working normally.

Thanks ever so much for your help, saved me the inconvenience and expense of a dealer trip.

Long live these forums!

Cheers,

Ali

Good!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

*Sigh*

Looks like it isn't sorted after all - after working ok for a day or two, its playing up again - I wonder if it is water ingress as we live right on the coast and the back of the car is exposed to the full force of the prevailing south westerlies that come in off the channel?

I've got it booked in again with the dealer - I queried whether it would be covered under warranty as they were dealer fitted 2 years ago and was told no, only 1 year - I have a brochure that seems to suggest a 3 year warranty on accessories, but not sure if this would constitute proof.

Any assistance welcome as I'm somewhat skint this month and could do without another big bill!

Cheers,

Ali

*Sigh*

Looks like it isn't sorted after all - after working ok for a day or two, its playing up again - I wonder if it is water ingress as we live right on the coast and the back of the car is exposed to the full force of the prevailing south westerlies that come in off the channel?

I've got it booked in again with the dealer - I queried whether it would be covered under warranty as they were dealer fitted 2 years ago and was told no, only 1 year - I have a brochure that seems to suggest a 3 year warranty on accessories, but not sure if this would constitute proof.

Any assistance welcome as I'm somewhat skint this month and could do without another big bill!

Cheers,

Ali

Are you prepared to fiddle?

I can tell you how to either switch it off (if there isn't a seperate switch in the back) or determin which sensor is faulty but the latter will require you to either by pass the faulty one or buy a new set. I don't think you can buy just one.

anchorman, thanks for your help - car went in on Friday and was fixed - one of the sensors was damaged.

They were planning on charging me but I waved my receipt and a brochure saying accessories were covered for 3 years, and after a little debate it was agreed it would be done under warranty.

Sadly they made a bit of a mess of the paintwork, so went back today and it is back in on Friday to have the bumper re-sprayed at their expense!

Bit of a hassle but a happy ending!

Thanks for all your help.

Ali

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links