Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Starlet Engine Swap

danm

Hi All,

Im new to this site and would just like to say a quick hello to everyone from all over the world before I launch my question. Its a pretty open ended question so any help, tips, advice or just plain experience would come in handy for me so please comment when you can.

I am the proud owner of 1989 toyota starlet 1.3 XL Manual 5 speed just purchased for the grand sum of 250 NZ dollars. Its a pretty good car with plenty of warrant (MOT) and Rego (Car Tax) left. It smokes blue/white smoke in the higher rev range and I have done a couple of oil changes and changed the filters etc. Its currently got some wynns engine tune in the oil (which says removes gunk etc from lifters and piston rings etc) and some fuel system cleaner in the petrol. This situation has improved a bit but i think it really needs another engine as this one has done 227'000 k's.

My engine info plate says the engine is a 2E-L but most of the engines I am looking at in scrap yards say 2E. Is it safe to get a a 2E? and will it fit without any extra welding of mounts etc.

I see that alot of corrolas have this engine as well, can i get one from a corrola and will it fit in a starlet ok?

There are alot of autos here in NZ, will an auto 2e engine fit on to a manual gearbox, or will i have to get one from a manual car?

My car dosent have power steeering or anything like that so if I find one with Powersteering can i just remove the PS pump from the head, and expect it to be ok or will i need to find one without powersteering. The car doesnt need PS.

Can I put a 1.6 2e engine in ok or will that not fit?

If anyone has any pics of the process of engine swaping toyota engines then if they would like to send me links or email them to me I would be very grateful.

I am a pretty good mechanic but have not attempted an engine swap yet, so I'm actually really looking forward to it, but really need to keep it simple for the first time ( much as i would like to have a dogs bollo**s fast as engine ) so Im really thinking a 1.3 or 1.6 engine with no fuel injection or computer stuff to have to deal with. I guess that about everything i can think of for now. By the way a little about me. Im english and have lived in NZ fro 2.5 years (ish) Im 35 and am always fixing cars. \\

Hope you guys and girls can help me out with any info or advice.

Many thanks

Dan

any E series engine will fit. 4E-FTE Starlet Turbo or 5E-FE (Paseo) / 5E-FHE (Sera)

1300cc turbo or 1500cc.

• 1 month later...

how do lad, ya seem to be on de ball bout these engine conversions and stuff, could ya tell me does 4age silvertop out of an fx gt corolla fit into a 93 starlet. would there be much hastle with wiring looms? cheers man!

Now then lad how it going? thats a good question you posed. Unfortunatley i cant answer coz i still didnt get round to changing my engine. I just let the oil run down to low and now it dosent smoke (much) just top up a little at a time. It seems pretty feasable though what your sayin, maybe ask the fella who replied above, but dont expect an essay in reply! I reckon it should work though. Keep me posted by replying to this, coz id like to know how you get.

Sweet as!

Dan

It will fit but you will have to design and make engine mountings, driveshafts (probably), redesign cooling, redesign clutch system, redesign exhaust and redesign wiring.

Anything other than an E-series engine (ie 4E, 5E) would require a lot of modifications which gets expensive.

Sure all i cn do is see how it goes. if it dont work out i cn cut my loses n sell it off. my thougths on it were that if a 4efe is fitted in both a starlet n a corolla surely a 4age would fit in a starlet. dnt mind bout the wiring looms id say ill figure it out.

yes, but the engine mountings differ between corolla and starlet. Try it and see, but you'll find its a lot harder than plug and play and will cost 3 times what you set aside for it.

Andy - i seem to remember (in the 'seo at least) that the firewall needs modding for the 4age to fit propperly...

Im sure it does for the 3s, but just thought i'd check for the guy.

J

• 1 month later...

firewall doesnt need to be modded for either engine, but the master cylinder defo has to be relocated for the 3sgte. it does in the sera anyway.

also, you may have to modify the subframe on the passenger side to accomadate the gearbox (on the 3sgte at least)

• 3 months later...

Probably not you engine smoking... did u check if you turbo has any oil leaks around the rings... probably u need to change turbo or refresh it with new internals.

• 3 years later...

hey guys I am Anuk De Zoysa from Sri Lanka

plz help me in this

i have a toyota starlet 1996 auto

but can i change the engine to a 3.0 v6 engine

if its possible can you guys suggest me some engines which will fit the toyota starlet 1996