Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pollen Filter

PW39

Is it safe to leave the pollen filter out of my '99 Avensis?

Pete

hello pete,as a toyota techinian we are sometimes asked the question due to the high price of the filter.my advise would be to replace with a new one depending upon the condition of the old unit,but bear in mind you will probably have to modify the top filter to make it fit.it's amazing how much dust these filters trap before entering the cabin.

good luck

jason.

Hi Jason

Thanks for the info.

You say 'probably have to modify the top filter', erm.....what do you mean?

I am only aware of the engine air filter and this pollen filter that's accessible via the drivers feet well.

Pete

hello pete, the top filter plastic square section will need cutting out approx 50mm square to clear the pipe in the heater box.

regards jason.

I'd advise changing it considering it probably hasn't been changed for about 7 years now!

I changed mine on the last service by managing to get a pair of eBay for about £30(from a toyota technician). I think from the dealer there about £50. The originals were blacker than black!

Jasons right, the 'tab' from the top one has to be cut with a knife of some sort - no biggy.

You can always pull both out and see what condition there in - give them a hoover while there out :D

Jason you're a tech for toyota - I've got a question for u is it normal for a toyota to fail. MY big and bearing has failed????????????

• 2 years later...

I've got a Yaris GLS X Reg (2000 plate) it hasn't got airconditioning, just a blower. Does it have a pollen filter? Can anyone tell me where to get a new one and how much it will cost? Mine has probably never been changed in the 9 years of service either. Cheers.

hello pete, the top filter plastic square section will need cutting out approx 50mm square to clear the pipe in the heater box.

regards jason.

So, let me just get this right, you buy a new filter from Mr T at an exhorbitant price and then have to cut lumps off it to make it fit? What wrong with Mr T. making the filter so that it will fit in the first place?

Just doesn't make sense.

regards jason.

So, let me just get this right, you buy a new filter from Mr T at an exhorbitant price and then have to cut lumps off it to make it fit? What wrong with Mr T. making the filter so that it will fit in the first place?

Just doesn't make sense.

To us it might not but for Toyota it makes perfect sense. Why make and have dealers keep 15 different filters in stock for different models when a single version can be manufactured and made to fit fairly simply, reduces their costs and logistics significantly even though it's less than ideal for ourselves.

Pete

Pete

Hello

It's good when the car is provided with a cabin's filter.

In case you remove it then all the dust will penetrate into cabin resulting money sppending on cleaning etc.

Cheers/Igor

I've got a Yaris GLS X Reg (2000 plate) it hasn't got airconditioning, just a blower. Does it have a pollen filter? Can anyone tell me where to get a new one and how much it will cost? Mine has probably never been changed in the 9 years of service either. Cheers.

it should be behind the glove box,

Pete

I have had several cars with pollen filters and every year I take the filter out and wash it in detergent, rinse it, put it on a radiator to dry and put it back. I have done the same thing with air filters. The only difference between new and old one is that the new one is clean. Make sure they are thoroughly dry before replacing.

Fitter.

Pete

I have had several cars with pollen filters and every year I take the filter out and wash it in detergent, rinse it, put it on a radiator to dry and put it back. I have done the same thing with air filters. The only difference between new and old one is that the new one is clean. Make sure they are thoroughly dry before replacing.

Fitter.

what type of material are the filters you a washing,

regards jason.

Just doesn't make sense.

To us it might not but for Toyota it makes perfect sense. Why make and have dealers keep 15 different filters in stock for different models when a single version can be manufactured and made to fit fairly simply, reduces their costs and logistics significantly even though it's less than ideal for ourselves.

You may as well buy a cheaper non-genuine filter if you need to chop it to make it fit anyway. The idea of buying genuine is to have a part that fits correctly. This being the case, I won't be buying genuine.

regards jason.

Just doesn't make sense.

You may as well buy a cheaper non-genuine filter if you need to chop it to make it fit anyway. The idea of buying genuine is to have a part that fits correctly. This being the case, I won't be buying genuine.

yes I agree with YOU

good solution

cheers/Igor

To PW39,

Why do you want to run car without filter, i guess you have a reason. As other forum user pointed out, you should see the dirt filter stops entering cab. I just paid £20 for pollen filter from Toyota (use same dealer & parts man always ) with a bit of discount thrown in, cannot understand some of the prices quoted by other forum users. Google www.japarts.co.uk for filter, around £13 & no mods to fit filter.

Regards, Beagh.

To PW39,

Why do you want to run car without filter, i guess you have a reason. As other forum user pointed out, you should see the dirt filter stops entering cab. I just paid £20 for pollen filter from Toyota (use same dealer & parts man always ) with a bit of discount thrown in, cannot understand some of the prices quoted by other forum users. Google www.japarts.co.uk for filter, around £13 & no mods to fit filter.

Regards, Beagh.

i have never safe money for this small filter.

first of all it is cllear salon inside.

i' m fed up with previos car without any filter installed.

i fully agree with BEAGH

cheers/Igor

Pete

Fitter.

Usual material is a type of compressed cloth fibre or foam.

Fitter

Pete

Fitter.

Fitter

just wondered if you did it on paper ones

:lol:

My 07 Avensis had its 20k service last October when it was 18 months old, the Toyota dealer said that the pollen filter needed changing and charged me £24.01p for the privilege.

My 07 Avensis had its 20k service last October when it was 18 months old, the Toyota dealer said that the pollen filter needed changing and charged me £24.01p for the privilege.

i used to change this filter element during each service.

cheers

Igor

Pete

Fitter.

Fitter

I had a look at my pollen filter yesterday and it is a paper filter in a cardboard tray. I vacuumed out the leaves, flies etc and then wiped the filter with a cloth dampened in disinfectant and water. It's clean and back in.

Fitter.

Pete

Fitter.

Fitter

I had a look at my pollen filter yesterday and it is a paper filter in a cardboard tray. I vacuumed out the leaves, flies etc and then wiped the filter with a cloth dampened in disinfectant and water. It's clean and back in.

Fitter.

the pollen filter i think is electro statically charged so it can draw in minute particles, i would have thought after washing it will no longer be doing its job probably,