Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo Help

ynaseem

Can anyone help.. ive just bought a 1993 st185 gt4 (import|) , its my first turbo car and i wanted too know how on average long should i set the turbo timer for to let the car cool down.

Also can any one recommend a good dump valve, i want one witha really loud swoosh. Any suggestions??

Hi

Dump Valve, either HKS or Blitz (Probably the brands for anything GT4 :lol: ).

Also it depends how hard the turbo is working.

I time mine this way:

Hard Run - i.e. Colin McRae Style Driving - 2-3mins

Normal Run with the occational blast - 2 mins

Normal average 3000-4000rpm & no higher than 0.5bar boost - 1min

Hope this helps, by the way these are my figures and i welcome anyone to prove to me a better amount of time.

i just dont use the turbo for the last couple of miles before i get home, so the turbo is already cooling - also put me blowers onto hot to get some heat out of the engine bay

then just leave it 20 seconds or so for the engine to settle

I have 2 HKS dump valves on my MR2 Turbo (long story) but they sound compleatly different.

I'd suggest going to a meet, getting people to give you a demo and then make your descision.

B.

P.S. My timer is set to 3 mins .. and I'm running 14 psi (instead of 10) and I usually give it beans at every oppertunity

whats an actuater??

well, its probably more commonly known as the boost limiter. (some call it a wastegate)

because the exhaust gas is hot it puts more stress on the turbo. and the actuator lets you adjust the boost- as a rule the standard boost limiters are in force to reduce the amount of Nitrogen Oxides going out the exhaust- and this is also set up to minimise engine damage under heavy driving conditions. but engines can cope with them as long as your not running them too high without other engine component mods.

the above should be about right, if not im open to correction :)