Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Central Jacking Point

MrWinkey

Hi all,

i am wanting to know if the Yaris has a central front jacking point that i can use my hydraulic jack on?

I dont want to raise each side of the car independantly.

(sorry if you have already read this on my last post about my cam belt)

Cheers,

Jay

Hi all,

i am wanting to know if the Yaris has a central front jacking point that i can use my hydraulic jack on?

I dont want to raise each side of the car independantly.

Yeah, i can understand this, everytime i jack my car up under the sills (using the correct jacking points by the way!!), it seems like they bend ever so slightly. Does this happen to anyone else? or is just me with chocolate sills!!

By the way MrWinkey if you look in your handbook, it lists all the correct jacking points for your car. If i remember correctly, I think to jack up centrally there is a point under the front cross member for the front of the car and then a point near the rear tow hoop for the rear of the car. Double check this tho!!

there is like a beam that goes underneath the engine where the front suspension bolts too, jacking up under there is okay.

whenever i jack up a car i ALWAYS use at least two jacking points. so my recommendation would be get yoruself down to lidl's/aldi and buy another jack for a fiver, then jack up both sides at the same time, it halves the load and therefore half the stress!

Hi Guys,

cheers for the replies.

Lew, thats exactly what i wanted to know, i will check the manual and use what they suggest. I do remember seeing one mentioned, but think it is over to one side slightly, and very far under the car, so i didnt use it, but i will double check in the manual.

cf1, i think you missunderstood what i was asking, but cheers for the reply anyway. I always use axle stands, and if possible, leave the jack in place as well. Better safe than Dead.

Bunny,

i think the place you mentioned is the one that i have seen before, it is as i said, offset and deosn't seem safe. I dont get what you are meaning with the two jacks? Do you mean to get someone else to help me so they jack at the same time as me?

I use a two ton hydraulic jack that is more than capable of raising the car (in fact i think it would raise the whole thing if i could get it to balance right it the middle. lol)

Does anyone know if i would damage the car jacking it on the Transmission Flange (where the tranmission is bolted to the engine)?

Cheers,

Jay

Does anyone know if i would damage the car jacking it on the Transmission Flange (where the tranmission is bolted to the engine)?

Cheers,

Jay

I wouldnt jack it up there mate. You might end up damaging engine mountings aswell as bending the flange, iv seen it happen at work. It'd be okay if you just wanted to support the weight of the engine/gearbox but not the whole car.

mr winkey,

When you jack your car up at one point, you've got the weight of the front of the car 400kg going through a single point (your jack).

jacking up a car places more stress on the body than at any other point so if you are going to jack it up, i always suggest doing it in multiple places. jack one side of your car up with one jack, then go round the other side and jack that up, then put axle stands in addition underneath.

here's what i did on my corolla.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56738

see step 4.

and i woudn't jack it up under the gearbox flange, it will almost certainly bend. its okay to use it to just take the weight off a single engine mount though.

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies.

I used the point on the subframe that is suggested in the Haynes, and it worked fine, only problem is, the car is so low and the jacking point so far back, i was only able to raise the jack about 1mm at each stroke, so took ages to start it raising.

Funny though.

Considering what you have said, i hope i have not damaged anything by jacking it up on the gearbox falnge. If i had caused any damage, how would it show itself?

Cheers,

Jay

U'd see possibly bends/cracks in the metal on the flange and possibly leaks from the gearbox casing. Also u'd probably hear knocks whislt driving if u'd damaged any mountings. By the sounds of it uv probably got away with it. If there are no obvious problems then dont worry about it

Hopefully you are right and i have got away with it.

It was about 6months ago when i rasied the car that way, so i guess any problems would have shown by now.

cheers mate.

Jay

• 5 months later...

Regarding jacking up the front of the car.....

I want to jack up each front side, one at a time, so I can get the wheel off and paint the rusty hub. My problem is that I want to put an axle stand under the sill, so where exactly do I jack the car up to let me do this?? Looking in the manual, there's a jacking point (for a trolley jack) under the front crossmember but its off centre - towards the passenger side front wheel. So the passenger side will be ok, (jack car up on correct point then put axle stand under the sill) but when it comes to the front drivers side wheel, where do I jack the car up so I can put an axle stand under the sill??

Hi Chris,

the central jacking point on the car is fine, as it is not far enough off centre to topple the car.

Depending on what car you have, the only problem i have found is that it is almost impossable to get the jack started, as it only just fits under the car and the handle will not move up and down. I have to physically lift the front end of the car (on its prings) to allow for jack handle movement.

As for places to put stands, if you look under the car, you should find some lower parts of the floor that are shaped like beams (think they are stubs at the front, they have rubber bungs in them), these fit neatly into the recess of an axle stand. Sorry dont know correct terms for them, but providing your car is the same as ours, then you should be able to see these quite easily. they are level with the jacking points on each cill.

Hope this helps,

Jay

Ps, also depending on what car you have, if you have a sportier one like us, with stiff suspension, then it is better to jack centrally, as the car will slide off an axle stand if you try to jack a side at a time, while th eother side is still in place.

I have a Yaris t-sport. So when you use the front, slightly off centre trolley jacking point, does it raise the whole front end of the car? I'm only used to raising one wheel at a time.

Ey up mate,

yeh, it raises the who front end. It is by far the best way of doing this, as i assume you have similar shocks to me, and when doing one side at a time, the back wheel on thats side will come up, causing the car to tip to the side. When i did this, i had to raise each side a few inches at a time to stop it sliding to one side, as you can imagine, this took agaes.

(I have an SR, and for some reason it is as standard lower than a T-Sport, so you may not get this.)

If you dont already, get yourself a trolly jack, and use the centre jacking point, as i said, the onyl problem is that the car is so low, and the jacking point is so far under that you dont have any handle movement, but once the jack gets going, it is fine.

Also, i find it is best to put a thick (3x3 or something similar) peice of wood on top of the jack, as even at full extension, it does not rais the car very high.

Did you find the piller type bits that would fit an axle stand on under the car?

Jay

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links