Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help

akiro

:( please can anyone out there help me?

i have an old celica 1989 2litre twin cam that is in otherwise perfect condition, however the problem i have appears to be linked to the starter motor? the engine isnt seized but when i turn the ignition key the engine gives half a turn or so then refuses to spin whilst the starter motor makes a funny noise, I think these starters have a clutch in them and I assumed this was slipping, I bought a reconditioned starter motor and fitted it only to have excactly the same thing happen!!! I may be unlucky and the second motor is faulty but I cant believe it! Im flumuxed maybe the ring gear is worn? I just dont know ,if anyone can help please make a suggestion, thanks in advance.

I know this may sound obvious but is your Battery ok?

Sounds very much like your Battery is flat.

Sounds like you only have a small amount of voltage which isnt enough to turn the engine over.

Definatly worth a go :thumbsup:

have you checked your engine oil level? (you dont want that seizing up either way), but def check the Battery, and wiring around the starter motor-

good luck and let us know how you get on buddy

They don't have a clutch. They have a throw solenoid. Try tapping the starter (solenoid is the smaller circular chamber on the side of it) with a hammer when turning it over (takes two people unless you are a Globetrotter). Will tell you if the solenoid is sticking.

when you turn the engine over, have you got your foot on the clutch? - this frees up the load on flywheel a bit and might help (and im talking about the gearbox related clutch yeah? :D )

When you turn it over do you get a repeated clicking sound or just one click, if it's repeated then your Battery is flat if just a single click it could be a couple or reasons, check the ring gear just remove the started and pop yer head in for a look round and see if it's goosed! :bookworm:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links