Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Supra Auto Gearbox

York Performance Imports

Hi folks,

I've just got a TT facelifted 96 auto Supra, I just want to know what all the buttons on the gearbox are for ?

Obviously there's the overdrive, but there is also a red button, which I'm assuming is like a sports mode, correct me if I'm wrong. but it also has a button marked "Manu".....what does this do ?

Cheers

0b69_0.JPG

The red button allows you to move the gear lever out of 'P' if you lose power to the engine. If you try moving the lever without your foot on the brake then it will not come out of 'P', and if for some reason your brakes no longer work or the engine refuses to start then you will need to move the car. Press the red button and you can move the lever out of P and into neutral.

The Manu button = Manual shift mode. When you are in manual mode, and you put the shifter in L, the tranny will stay in 1st gear, when you put the shifter in 2nd, the tranny will shift to 2nd gear and when you put the shifter in D, the tranny will shift to 3rd. Basically a bit of a manual option on an auto box.

An import company that doesn't know generic auto box buttons :rolleyes:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...or+auto+gearbox

A newly established import company !! :thumbsup:

And this is the first recentish Supra I've brought in, or driven for that matter !..Been concentrating on Evo's and Skylines really, though I'd have a go with a couple of Supra's.

Thanks guys

The Manu button = Manual shift mode. When you are in manual mode, and you put the shifter in L, the tranny will stay in 1st gear, when you put the shifter in 2nd, the tranny will shift to 2nd gear and when you put the shifter in D, the tranny will shift to 3rd. Basically a bit of a manual option on an auto box.

not quite right.. the gearbox will do what you say regardless of whether the car is in manu mode or not.

The only real advantage to using 'manu' is to launch in second gear instead of first. Ie press the manu button in and put the stickshift into 2, and the car will move off in second rather than first. Its useful in snowy or slippy situations.

It will also lock the gears when towing etc preventing automatic shift up and down, and change the lockup points on the torque converter , somehow. It can be overridden by planting your foot right back though, as a safety backup.