Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Box/clutch Problem Thingy

matty_aygo

hey there, been havin problems with my gearbox or clutch, its crazy im seriosly having to force it into the gears, and my clutch is all the way down.. :unsure:

rang toyota and they said it could be your mats and i was like huh?! n then said from the ridding up, buts its not at all, so iv got it booked in next tuesday for them to have a look at. Just wondering if it needs to go in for work do you get a courtsy car if its gunna be like a day or so?

cheers matty. :thumbsup:

Is it a hydraulic clutch on the Aygo?

If so it could be the dreaded slave cylinder that afflicts the mr2.

thought it would have been cable though.

How many miles? Hope you don't ride the clutch on hills or do 0-60 testing! The Aygo clutch won't be up to taking much abuse. I reversed ours onto it's parking space which is on an incline and is pretty tight - I could smell the clutch burning after this one manouver, so now it's treat very gently. I've never had a clutch replaced on a car and don't want to start with the Aygo.

hey there, been havin problems with my gearbox or clutch, its crazy im seriosly having to force it into the gears, and my clutch is all the way down.. :unsure:

rang toyota and they said it could be your mats and i was like huh?! n then said from the ridding up, buts its not at all, so iv got it booked in next tuesday for them to have a look at. Just wondering if it needs to go in for work do you get a courtsy car if its gunna be like a day or so?

cheers matty. :thumbsup:

Yes you get a courtesy car - you have to be sure to tell them that you need one and there shouldn't be a charge except for the petrol that you use

thanks, guys has gotten worse today 9 times out of 10 it wont go into 2nd gear, just pops back out, and clutch is makin a weird clicking sound when i press it down.

Honestly i dont trash my car about, i just drive is as normal, only rev it when i need to get more speed quickly. as for milage iv done just under 18,000 and the car is just over one year old. (1st reg 31/01/06)

Ill let u know what it is,

• 4 months later...

It's a clutch problem thingy - not gearbox.

I had identical symptoms at 25000mls. My Aygo has just come back from two days at the local Toyota dealer.

Problem - poor weld quality at clutch bearing plate resulting in bits of broken weld material and loose plate. Problem first starts with difficulty in gear change especially between 1 & 2, longer travel on clutch pedal until it feels as if the clutch is slipping and rattling when clutch pedal is depressed. Very quickly all the symtoms get worse until it is almost impossible to change gear and rattle turns into a clatter.

Toyota dealer says everything was obvious as soon as he opened up for investigation (disintegrated bits fell out) and full repair has now been carried out under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...
thanks, guys has gotten worse today 9 times out of 10 it wont go into 2nd gear, just pops back out, and clutch is makin a weird clicking sound when i press it down.

Honestly i dont trash my car about, i just drive is as normal, only rev it when i need to get more speed quickly. as for milage iv done just under 18,000 and the car is just over one year old. (1st reg 31/01/06)

Ill let u know what it is,

Any update on this problem??

• 5 months later...

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem as my Aygo has similar problems. Really have to force it between 1st and 2nd and also between 2nd and 3rd. Hadn't really noticed it until my boyfriend commented on it after driving my car the other day. My Aygo has done 28000 miles and will be 3 years old in June.

Did anyone have difficulty in getting Mr.T to agree to fix this problem?

It is a hydaulic clutch.

AYGO have cable clutch not hydraulic actuation :)

Seen a few of them with clutch/gear probs, the metal ends of the shift cables begin the crack and fall off.

This could be the prob.

Mart.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem as my Aygo has similar problems. Really have to force it between 1st and 2nd and also between 2nd and 3rd. Hadn't really noticed it until my boyfriend commented on it after driving my car the other day. My Aygo has done 28000 miles and will be 3 years old in June.

Did anyone have difficulty in getting Mr.T to agree to fix this problem?

I brought my car in as I found in difficult to change gears particularly reverse gear. My car is 4 months old. They replaced the CLUTCH and the reverse gear. I took it back home and it hasnt solved the problem...manager test drove it and said it was worse in some of the other Aygos he's tried and that mine was alright in comparison. He's filed a report to Toyota but says they cant do anything as nothing is physically wrong with the car...

My Aygo is booked in to have its clutch replaced a week today. Interesting to note that they replaced your reverse gear as well as my car makes a horrible crunching noise when I try and get it into reverse. I swear that everyone must be thinking I can't drive when they hear the noise it makes! :rolleyes: I might mention this to them when I take it in next week. It has become so bad over the last week that can't stand driving my Aygo at the moment, the other day I needed two hands to pull the gear lever down from first to second :( I am fortunate that I can still drive my boyfriend's 107 until I get this fixed.

I think I would be taking my car back in if I were you Annfee and demanding that they do something about it. How old is your car out of curiosity and how many miles have you done?

It is a hydaulic clutch.

No it isnt................Its a cable on the Aygo. Could be problems with the cable breaking up

Kingo :thumbsup:

EDIT Sorry Mart....Just read your thread :blush:

Sounds like some of you need to get an independent inspection

• 1 month later...

my aygo has just done 19000 miles mostly motorway it has got to

go to dealer in a weeks time to have a complete new clutch assemby

fitted. the clutch started squealing pulling away on a incline under load.

i have found that if you put any car into second before reverse it never seems to crunch....no idea why. sounds like you have a problem though.

• 2 weeks later...
It is a hydaulic clutch.

No it isnt................Its a cable on the Aygo. Could be problems with the cable breaking up

Kingo :thumbsup:

EDIT Sorry Mart....Just read your thread :blush:

Hehe I was told by Currie Motors Barnet that it was Hydraulic. Thanks for correcting me. I was just trying to relay info.

When I bought my Aygo , I found 2 inches movement of the clutch pedal were all that was required to change gear

(quick PDI I suspect)

it was way to tight , I slackened the cable off so it isn't stressing the clutch arm when pressed down

it's been fine ever since

a tight cable and heavy left foot could cause a bit of stress on the arm

and maybe give problems with cable / pivot / bearing / carrier

the Aygo clutch is a bit weak and can warm up quickly when under load

especially reversing up hill with a load

hope this helps

at the end of the day it's a cheap run around , and a !Removed! good car

• 1 month later...

Rather ****** off at the moment :censor:

As I said earlier in this thread I had my clutch replaced back in February when my car had done 28,000 miles.

Now here we are again in June, car has done 31,000 miles and I've just had a phonecall from the garage to say the clutch needs replaced AGAIN!!

Going to pick it up tomorrow after work and hopefully it will be sorted. Warranty expires at the end of this week too!

given the problems we've had we got the extended warranty. money well spent on these if you can get it.

given the problems we've had we got the extended warranty. money well spent on these if you can get it.

How much is the extended warranty?

Rather ****** off at the moment :censor:

As I said earlier in this thread I had my clutch replaced back in February when my car had done 28,000 miles.

Now here we are again in June, car has done 31,000 miles and I've just had a phonecall from the garage to say the clutch needs replaced AGAIN!!

Going to pick it up tomorrow after work and hopefully it will be sorted. Warranty expires at the end of this week too!

HI. I need some really urgent help. I have a 56 plate 40k aygo all motorway miles and am experiencing similar problems to you and other aygo owners. The car is well driven, never hard and is well serviced. I'm noticing having to use more force than normal between 1st and 2nd gear / clicking noise whist selecting and am noticing the clutch is staring to slip. Have taken to my local toyota dealer (Altrincham) and they have basically told me the clutch is sliping and is my fault and have not acknowledged any faults i have suggested as reference from this site. As a new design car could these faults be design faults. Surely i should not have to pay for a new clutch at £580. Please help with any information or dealers that have helped you with your faults. Thank you ever so much.... Jott

jott,

What you need to do is to contact toyota head office and ask if you could speak to customer relations dept. if they have one.

I had a major engine failure with Alfa 147 when my cambelt failed at just under 5 years and out of warranty, this was before the recommended service change in my handbook (5 years), they offered 50% of the repair bill as compensation and the repair wasn't even carried out at the dealer. Before commiting to the repair I suggest you down this line and explain your situation, plead poverty, compliment them on loving their car and ask if they can do anything for you. It got me £850 pounds towards a £1700 repair bill on my alfa, you just need to talk to the right person and keep cool as getting sh*tty with them will only turn them away.

jott,

What you need to do is to contact toyota head office and ask if you could speak to customer relations dept. if they have one.

I had a major engine failure with Alfa 147 when my cambelt failed at just under 5 years and out of warranty, this was before the recommended service change in my handbook (5 years), they offered 50% of the repair bill as compensation and the repair wasn't even carried out at the dealer. Before commiting to the repair I suggest you down this line and explain your situation, plead poverty, compliment them on loving their car and ask if they can do anything for you. It got me £850 pounds towards a £1700 repair bill on my alfa, you just need to talk to the right person and keep cool as getting sh*tty with them will only turn them away.

Thank you ricardo, i will try this way and let you know what happens. Thank you

The number for Toyota Customer Relations is 01737 367 600 - as provided to me by the nice kind man at Shields Toyota Glasgow who tried to tell me that my clutch failing after 3000 miles was just one of those things and was not the symptom of a more serious problem with the gearbox :angry:

My 3rd clutch is a marginal improvement on the last one but I still don't feel entirely satisfied with it. I am taking my car into a local garage around the corner from my work and I am going to ask them to inspect the whole gearbox and see if they can see anything which has been missed by the guys at Mr. T.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links