Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camry-92 Stalls Randomly On Stop

computerrobot

I have a camry 92 (135k miles). Recently, my car sometimes just stall whenever I have to come to a stop (Red light, stop sign...etc). 19 out of 20 times, its fine. The RPM needle just stays on 1 or little below 1. But that 1 out of 20 times that it stalls, the RPM needle slowly goes to 0 and engine turns off. I took the car to mechanic, he said because its random, there's no specific reason, so he did tune-up (replaced plugs and wires, took $200). The problem still exists. Does anyone know why it may happen or what to do about it ? Thanks.

Hi! It happened to me on my Corrola (same thing like yours, when I stop, for example on red light, or when the engine is on the idle it will stall and stop). It was igniter module. Check igniter and ignition coil. On my car, igniter couldn't transmit strong enough spark for spark plugs, but when you rev it up it will "woke up" and transmit the sparks on plugs). I've changed igniter and now everything is fine. But, sometimes ignition coil will do the same thing. And remember: check both, because broke ignition coil will damage the new ignition module very very fast.

best regards,

Ivan

• 3 years later...

Hi, Your diagnosis seems spot on as both myself and a friend who both have Camry 1.8GL his a 1983 and mine a 1984 model.The intermittant fault was very difficult to diagnose.Car would suddenly cut out and refuse to start until left for a while.Was finally diagnosed when it finally gave up the ghost.Both cars had about 50k on the clock and showed the same symptoms maybe a common fault with ignitors from this era of Toyotas.This being the only fault that has let either of us down such as to render our cars immobile on the road in 100k + miles!Have managed to get a couple of spare ignitors cheap on eBay so will keep in our glove boxes just in case. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
Hi, Your diagnosis seems spot on as both myself and a friend who both have Camry 1.8GL his a 1983 and mine a 1984 model.The intermittant fault was very difficult to diagnose.Car would suddenly cut out and refuse to start until left for a while.Was finally diagnosed when it finally gave up the ghost.Both cars had about 50k on the clock and showed the same symptoms maybe a common fault with ignitors from this era of Toyotas.This being the only fault that has let either of us down such as to render our cars immobile on the road in 100k + miles!Have managed to get a couple of spare ignitors cheap on ebay so will keep in our glove boxes just in case. :thumbsup:

I would have to agree,My 91 camry refuses to start sometimes and when i move the 2 prong wire coming from the ignition module it will start right up.