Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Starlet

tr1cky

sup peeps :thumbsup:

iv got a starlet sr an wanna put a paseo 5efe engine in it, iv been told all i need to do is swap sumps with my 4efe so the exhaust goes around it an swap fly wheels so i can use my gear box but apparently i can use my 4efe ecu and all electrical connectors are the same. :help: sounds a bit 'too' straight forward really so if any 1 could help me out on this or giv me any tips would be appreciated. thanx rich

wouldnt mind puttin a turbo lump in it but just too much work

you don't even need to swap the sump or flywheel mate :) ( i didn't anyway)

use the 5efe ecu if you can cos it is designed for that engine

if you can't use the 5e ecu you can use the 4e though.

alrite mate you seem pretty clued up on ya starlets. ive got a 96 sportif and was just wandering what would be the easiest way to put a bigger engine in it and what liter would be the best its a 1.3 atm moment if you could let me no would appreciate it cheers :thumbsup:

cheers m8 thats great, are all the elictrical connectors the same on the 5efe like on the throttle body etc or will i need to put my head on the 5efe.also is it just a straight swap with ecu's or will i have to re-programme my keys to the immobilizer or anything?

alrite mate you seem pretty clued up on ya starlets. ive got a 96 sportif and was just wandering what would be the easiest way to put a bigger engine in it and what liter would be the best its a 1.3 atm moment if you could let me no would appreciate it cheers :thumbsup:

realistically, you've got 2 options.

5EFE 1.5 16v from a toyota paseo

you need:

engine

ecu (ideally, can use the 4efe if necessary)

bolt straight in job, won't give loads more power (15bhp) but will give much better torque making the car more responsive, meaning overtaking and pulloff is much improved

4EFTE from toyota starlet GT turbo (ep82, not Glanza)

You need:

Engine, with inlet manifold and turbo

Gearbox (ideally, can handle the power better)

ECU

Wiring loom including map sensor

Front mounted intercooler (standard top mount will not fit under uk starlet bonnet)

Engine drops straight in, but you will need a front mount intercooler and someone with a good knowledge of auto electricals to wire in the new loom and ECU

I have done both of these conversions.

With 5EFE

dscn0035.jpg

With 4EFTE

DSCN1473.JPG

cheers m8 thats great, are all the elictrical connectors the same on the 5efe like on the throttle body etc or will i need to put my head on the 5efe.also is it just a straight swap with ecu's or will i have to re-programme my keys to the immobilizer or anything?

as far as i can remember, yes the connectors are the same, the ECU should be plug and play. if you have problems then just fit the 4efe throttle body cos they are the same diameter as the 5e.

my starlet sportif has no factory imobiliser fitted so i had no issues with that. again, if you have issues, i ran my 5efe with the 4e ECU for 2 years without issue

Ian

as far as i know, the engines are identical, unless you are talking about the 5efhe that is fitted in the Sera's which has a few differences.

management might be different though cos the fuel is higher octane in japland

price wise i am not sure, around £300 sounds about right for a 5e though.

right, in all there were several variants of the 5efe and 5efhe:

5efhe:

Only came on JDM Cynos', EE Corollas, Corsas and on the Seras (Albeit, with one minor difference). Over the 5efe the 5efhe has uprated camshafts (longer duration, higher lift), two stage intake manifold (Except for Sera 5efhe), higher compression ratio through domed pistons (9.8:1 as opposed to 9:1), stronger connecting rods, different ECU maps (With a different ECU), and a higher rev limit

Power stood at 115bhp (apparently) for the EL44 & 110bhp for the EL54 Cynos Betas, though the EL54 had slightly more torque at 100.54lb/ft, as opposed 99.81lb/ft

5efe:

This came in about 4 guises - UKDM, USDM and JDM. The US came with the EL44 and EL54 Paseos, the EL44 had a 100bhp & 91lb/ft of torque 5efe with a distributor, whereas the EL54 was tuned for more torque and was distributorless, and came with 93bhp and 100lb/ft of torque. The JDM 5efe came on the EL44 Cynos Alpha, and it had 105bhp apparently - no idea on torque. UK 5efe came with a distributor and 89bhp, around 100lb/ft of torque

nice 1 m8, very helpful.

any 1 know of side skirts or a front or rear splitter tha fits the starlet, parts are hard to get hold of.

i was told a corrola front splitter fits but not sure what model

don't bother, keep it stealth ;)

the laguna splitter suits the car well though and if you insist on having sideskirts, get Glanza ones.

tried gettin hold of andrew cliff frm toyotasera.co.uk but no reply any 1 know of any1 else to try for a 5efe engine

try apiengines.com

and try emailing Andrew (Andrew@toyotasera.co.uk), though he'll most probably have a 5efhe which whilst quite a bit more powerful (21bhp more than the 5efe infact), it is a bit more difficult to install due to wiring differences between it and the 5efe

• 1 month later...

done the swap :thumbsup: had a little blast shes a beast

too bad i gotta wait til my bans up now to take it for a proper spin

easiest mod u can do to a starlet, its like takin a 4e out an puttin a 4e back in

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links