Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fast Diesel

G79

Ok here's a little background (if you've been reading the Auris Section you'll already now). So I ordered my Auris just under 2 months ago, I was supposed to take delivery on the 1st march, however it didn't arrive and in fact wasn't ready till yesterday (the 15th) so only two weeks late, well when I spoke to them on the 1st to enquire as to what was happeneing they explained about all the delays with Auris's (yet other people have got theirs on time), well while speaking with MR T they also then went onto say I could not now get the Toyota Finance.. so I searched and searched to try and get the amount I needed to get the Auris.. however as of today it has all fallen through.. I can howver get a smaller loan but not enough to get even the cheapest Auris.

So my dilema is that I do not now want to go back to driving a slow Corolla 1.4 T3 (04 plate).. I want a diesel... and this is why I need your help... who can recomend a Diesel to meet the following criteria? (I have based my citeria on the Corolla 2.0D4D SR).

• 0-60 around 10 seconds
  • around 50 MPG
  • Nice interior
  • around Insurance group 6
  • around £13,500 (depending on what price I get for the corolla)
  • no more than 1 year old
  • no more than 10K on the clock

Also.. it must be from the following list (as these cars have the same or better reliability as the Toyota see Reliability Index)

• CITROEN
  • DAEWOO
  • FIAT
  • FORD
  • HONDA
  • HYUNDAI
  • MAZDA
  • MG
  • MITSUBISHI
  • PEUGEOT
  • SEAT
  • SKODA
  • SUZUKI
  • TOYOTA
  • VOLKSWAGEN

I missed out BMW and Lexus because if I can't afford the Auris.. how on earth could I afford one of those lol

Many Thanks in advance and should be some interesting debating :thumbsup:

G

Hard to believe some of them are as reliable as a toyota !

Good luck with the search :)

Hard to believe some of them are as reliable as a toyota !

Stats can prove anything...read on..

Separately to this figure you can also look at the average cost of repairs for a particular make or model, a car with a good reliability index and a high average cost would imply that the frequency of failure is low, however when it does fail the bill will be a lot more than the average. Toyota, for example, has a high average cost of repair but quite a good index rating - which means that the car fails infrequently but when it does you will be in for a larger than average bill. Overall however, Toyota is a very strong make of car to buy.

:thumbsup:

go go skoda fabia vrs. It ticks all the boxes :thumbsup: :D :D

Based on a cross reference from the US reliability index which purely looks at failures rather than cost we get this list....

• Daewoo
  • Hyundai
  • Mazda
  • Suzuki
  • Volkwagen - I let this one slide as it's so close

Not on the american list

• Fiat
  • Peugeot
  • Seat
  • Skoda

MiniMarc... you really do like the skoda Fabia vRS don't you :D Hmmm well with a bit of a body kit, de-badge it, it could be a really good car... OMG.. did I just say a skoda could be a good car :huh:

G

Not really mate it's just that a volkswagen is too expensive for your budget and skoda are identical but with a stigma. As you said, you could always debadge it and then moan constantly about how the horrible hoodies stole all the VW badges off your car ;)

moan constantly about how the horrible hoodies stole all the VW badges off your car ;)

Lmao.. ye thats a good one.... maybe I could get hold of some VW badges and stick them on... what do you think??? :D

G

What about a mazda 3? You could get the 1.6D TS2 with 7k on the clock for £12.5k and the only thing it doesn't tick is the 0-60 as it takes 11.6seconds apparently.

Or the 1.9 Seat Leon Diesel for sub £13k and 1 year old. That's a 9 second car but no idea on insurance groups and it does hit the 50mpg figure too.

Can you tell I'm at work and bored out of my skull? :D

i would only consider these makes...

* FORD

* HONDA

* HYUNDAI

* MAZDA

* MITSUBISHI

* SEAT

* SKODA

* SUZUKI

* TOYOTA

* VOLKSWAGEN

even in these manufacturers, certain cars arnt that good. check out the top gear JD power survey, might help you make up your mind

Citroen & Peugeot as reliable as a Toyota :lol2:

Can't really help with the search but avoid any cars made by these companies if you want a car that spends more time on the road that stuck in a garage getting fixed. The Top Gear Survey is a much better place to look if you want to know what's reliable

Ah... i love this game.

If i was in ur position...

1st choice - 2006 Honda Civic 2.2 I-CTDi Es

U can pick one up with around 10,000 on the clock still have a years warrenty left as they came with two i think. Cd Ac 50 MPG! Manual

£12,500

Onli thing is the insurance group... which is 9. But u can use the cash left ova if u haggle to pay for that.

Easily as reliable as a Toyota AND it keeps its value VERY well.

If u don't like that let me know and i'l give you a second pick =P

- subbs -

Sorry... most important part -

0-62 = 8.4secs

Top speed = 128

Bhp = 138

If that don't sell the car i don't know what will =]

my workmate has a brand new one and its an amazing car... :)

Just 2 clarify aswell... i think its closer to 55MPG

Depends how u choose 2 drive it i guess =P

I'd prob. get about 10 cause im a nutter... haha

Fast Diesel = Audi Q7 :D

Wow.... this certainly has got the old grey cells working :D Thank you all very much :thumbsup:

Karma Supra - Hmmm... if I could afford and Audi Q7 I certinaly would have bought the Auris... so I think we can count that one out lol :lol2:

subbs - I've looked on the Honda site for second hand Civics... and well... I certainly didn't find any that cheap... where you are getting yours from... back of a lorry hehe :P Seriously though... where did you get that price from?

Kev Mc - Thanks for the link to the Top Gear site... has proven most valuable... some interesting information on there... I've always thought that French cars were as reliable as a chocolate fire guard.... but after looking at the link I posted I thought maybe they had changed their tune... how wrong could I be... saved me from buying a Frog :D

One of the things I've found about a lot of new cars is that the interior is rather drab... nothing specal... just plain, boring and black... what do you all think? At least with the Corolla (and my lost Auris) the interior had some style to it. The Civic certainly hits the nail on the head with interior style... just a little expensive for me. And after reading the Top Gear site... well... and don't laugh now.. but Skoda really seemed attractive (would need some tweaking mind you)... but after going down my local Skoda dealership (yes I have now been seen in a Skoda Dealership, oh and when I told one of my friends I was considering buying a skoda... he couldn't stop laughing... what a git lol) I found the Fabia to be just on the small side... looking at the Octavia, and well, performance went straight out the window.

Still in an eternal dilema with this one guys and gals :help:

Cheers for all the input though

G

Haha... Yeh i hijacked a truck full of Hondas.. :P

Thers a fair few on autotrader if you look carefully varying from just under 13 to 14 grand... depending on the mileage etc. I think u'l find the ones ova 10,000 have a ova five hundred knocked off if not more compared to the 4,000 etc.

Plus. U need to HAGGLE the **** out of them. :lol: U can get anything with enough cheek and charm =)

For example... If i was buying in your position.

Just found a 2006 06 Reg Civic 2.2 i-CTDi Se

12,011 miles

Manual

Diesel

5 door

In Cosmic grey pearl... (Looks beautiful)

1 Owner all ur trimmings etc...

35 miles away from me personally... and £13,490

Haggle him down to 13 square. Sorted... got urself a sweet motor =D

Just take ur time having a look thru n'get on the phone!

Whoa... forget that.

Found another.

2006 2.2 I-CTDI Sport 5dr Diesel Manual

7,100 miles on the clock 1 owner all ur trimmings etc.

2years warranty left... its a 55 reg but since its only got 7,100 on the clock who cares. Spend whats left on a private plate =P

Right. Im off out, hope that helps :D

Yaris D-4D, tuning chip, air filter.

Nippy, safe, comfortable, pennies to run.

Not that I'm biased though... ;)

Bummer about the Auris though - its a nice motor. :(

A

Wow.... this certainly has got the old grey cells working :D Thank you all very much :thumbsup:

Karma Supra - Hmmm... if I could afford and Audi Q7 I certinaly would have bought the Auris... so I think we can count that one out lol :lol2:

subbs - I've looked on the Honda site for second hand Civics... and well... I certainly didn't find any that cheap... where you are getting yours from... back of a lorry hehe :P Seriously though... where did you get that price from?

Kev Mc - Thanks for the link to the Top Gear site... has proven most valuable... some interesting information on there... I've always thought that French cars were as reliable as a chocolate fire guard.... but after looking at the link I posted I thought maybe they had changed their tune... how wrong could I be... saved me from buying a Frog :D

One of the things I've found about a lot of new cars is that the interior is rather drab... nothing specal... just plain, boring and black... what do you all think? At least with the Corolla (and my lost Auris) the interior had some style to it. The Civic certainly hits the nail on the head with interior style... just a little expensive for me. And after reading the Top Gear site... well... and don't laugh now.. but Skoda really seemed attractive (would need some tweaking mind you)... but after going down my local Skoda dealership (yes I have now been seen in a Skoda Dealership, oh and when I told one of my friends I was considering buying a skoda... he couldn't stop laughing... what a git lol) I found the Fabia to be just on the small side... looking at the Octavia, and well, performance went straight out the window.

Still in an eternal dilema with this one guys and gals :help:

Cheers for all the input though

G

Yaris D-4D, tuning chip, air filter.

Nippy, safe, comfortable, pennies to run.

Not that I'm biased though... ;)

Bummer about the Auris though - its a nice motor. :(

A

My second suggestion was going to be a yaris =P Haha

I reckon the civic is in a different league BUT

Save about 5 grand, spend it on doing yer yaris up :D

MPG over 60

0-62 standard 10.7 but like Alan said u can easily get that down to much less. Cars light as ubik anyway.

Im not so sure on how it holds its value or the quaility of the interior on the new one... but u know that it will NEVER break down =P

And im sure all the yaris owners in the forum will fill u in on the rest... :)

Oh yeh... insurance group 3 with the T2 and 4 with the T Spirit.

I'd soooo agree with Subbs on the Civic :thumbsup:

And if you want something a little cheaper, the Seat Leon 2.0 TDi is an excellent car, same as a VW Golf but with a different Badge.... 0-62 in 9.3 seconds, 50mpg

It's not as futuristic looking as the Civic, but you get the reliability of VAG and its quite a good looking car to boot! :yes:

I'd soooo agree with Subbs on the Civic :thumbsup:

And if you want something a little cheaper, the Seat Leon 2.0 TDi is an excellent car, same as a VW Golf but with a different badge.... 0-62 in 9.3 seconds, 50mpg

It's not as futuristic looking as the Civic, but you get the reliability of VAG and its quite a good looking car to boot! :yes:

Yeah, buy a Leon, as mentioned you get the reliability of VW & those figures can't be argued with, plus you wont be buying 1 of the ugliest cars in the history of the world (the latest Civic)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links