Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol For Diesel Swap

runboy

I have a Avensis T3-X 2.0 auto and was looking to change (don't ask why!). I suppose I could have another one, possibly a new 2.2D 150bhp version this time. I do like to try something different but apart from the Passat there isn't much else out there.

Will I notice much difference from my old 'new' shape Avensis against the new new shape Avensis? I've heard the suspension settings are better on the new one, plus the rumour of sat nav on the new T3-X.

Any comments? What is the 150bhp diesel engine like?

I guess your perception of the car would depend on what you are comparing it to. I notice you have an automatic, the diesels aren't available as autos.

If you're thinking of changing it's probably worth trying the cars you are interested in. Your needs & preferences will be unique to you and the same applies to each of us.

I tried the 150bhp 2.2 and found I wanted more grunt. Having said that, the demo car was very new and I was moving from a 150bhp BMW diesel. I ended up with a T180 Tourer and I've been delighted with the car. There will be plenty of people on this site who are very happy with the 150bhp 2.2 D-4D.

Might be worth pointing out that a couple of colleagues have new Passat TDi cars and they have both had numerous problems with suspension, water leaks, rattles. Neither of them likes the button operated/automatic parking brake either. I can't comment as I haven't driven the Passat.

Maybe it's time to look around if you fancy a change? ;)

I'm thinking of another car, and on my shortlist is

Another Avensis

Lexus IS250

BMW 3 series

Discounted the Passat - looks nice but too many problems it's scary

checkout http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

Discounted Honda Accord because of 4 star EuroNcap rating (and can't see the front bonnet)

I like the VW Phaeton, bit big, and a little over budget secondhand, but loaded with toys!!

If you have time, just indulge in a few of these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AjDSFaPKsA&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyfpH8S_Qm4...ted&search=

and Top Gear review

The Honest John car by car breakdown seems very accurate (he must ask insiders)

The only major problem free cars appear to be Toyota, BMW, Honda and Lexus

I quite like the Lexus a logical step up from the Avensis, but the interior space and boot is less, and it only comes in a thirsty 2.5 six cylinder format, the 6 speed auto Vs Avensis' 4 speed auto doesn't help much in the economy either.

I changed recently and tried out the passat and was not very impressed with it I felt there was to much turbo lag on it.

I ended up going for a verso because I did not want to have the same well known problems that come with the Avensis.

I see you are in Norfolk I used Carfile and the dealer they use are in Norfolk The dealer who carfile recommended took my part exchange in and gave me book price for the car and overall the deal was very straight forward.

You could consider the Honda Accord

Hope it helps

Thanks all. The Verso is on my list-I like the look of the TR.

BJW-who is the Norfolk dealer (or can you not say)? I like the prices a broker can provide but always thought part exchange would be difficult/impossible-you say it was painless? Do you have to take the car to them to price or is it done over the phone and a driver picks the car up and argues about any damage etc?

Thanks all. The Verso is on my list-I like the look of the TR.

BJW-who is the Norfolk dealer (or can you not say)? I like the prices a broker can provide but always thought part exchange would be difficult/impossible-you say it was painless? Do you have to take the car to them to price or is it done over the phone and a driver picks the car up and argues about any damage etc?

This is how it worked I phoned carfile and carfile phoned the dealer and within 10 mins the dealer phoned me and confirmed the price I told him the part ex I had and he gave me the price on the part ex. The price was the same as I had been offered elsewhere by other toyota dealers and was what was in glasses guide.

We agreed the deal and because I lived within 50 miles of the dealership I took the car over just to confirm that the agreed amount would be given as a part ex I then test drove a verso.

No money was paid until I picked the car up and that was to the dealer also any offers Toyota are running can be used as well

In fairness to carfile ( if you google carfile you will get the results)if you go through them they will get a small fee which the dealer will pay them .

I dealt with scott at the dealership and yes it is a main dealer for Toyota

Let me know if you need anymore info and by the way carfile are not pushy

Sounds interesting. I use Dingles in Norwich so I wonder if they will give the same discount without going through Carfile-only way to find out is ask!

Thanks for the info.

Sounds interesting. I use Dingles in Norwich so I wonder if they will give the same discount without going through Carfile-only way to find out is ask!

Thanks for the info.

No I tried there don't waste your time no way would they move near the price I wanted! Attleborough deal with fleet sales they are good ask for Scott say you have been recommended by somebody who bought a verso 2-2 T spirit diesel in November but as I said it costs nothing to go through carfile

I tried the 150bhp 2.2 and found I wanted more grunt. Having said that, the demo car was very new.....

There will be plenty of people on this site who are very happy with the 150bhp 2.2 D-4D.

Here's one :yes: . Moving from a petrol 1.8 Mondeo, the 150 felt powerful enough. I agree they are a bit sluggish when new, mine felt considerably more powerful once it had a few thousand miles on the clock. That said, I will probably look keenly at a T180 when the time comes to change, as a little extra shove would never go amiss!

Runboy, I tested some of the competition before I bought the Avensis...here are my impressions....

The 2.2 CTDi Accord is a very nice car and felt quite similar to the Avensis to drive, although not as refined in my opinion. Nice engine though. If it had been more price competitive I may have considered one, but at the price Honda wants I would be thinking more along the lines of Avensis T180 or stretching to a Lexus IS220d.

I then borrowed a Golf GT TDI (2.0) for a 24hr test drive....thought it was overpriced rubbish frankly. The engine was powerful, but had a very diesel like on-off power delivery. The Toyota (and Honda) diesels are much more linear and petrol-like in their power delivery. Some like this...some don't. The 2.0 TDI VW was also a much noisier engine and was accompanied by a Transit-like gearbox (like stirring gravel) and clutch (heavy). That experience was enough to mean that I didn't bother test driving the same engine (and presumably gearbox) in a Passat, nice car though it looks....

....I've since had the misfortune to have another go with the VW 2.0 TDI....my Avensis got bitten by an out of control Seat :crybaby: ....whilst it was in for repair I was given a Sharan 2.0 TDI by the hire car company. My earlier impressions of the VW engine remained unchanged - actually, after 9000 miles in the smooth Toyota, the VW seemed even more uncouth and gruff than before.

Just my opinions....good luck with your search :thumbsup:

Thanks bristolmotorspeedway. I sat in a few VW's and I don't know...they never really grabbed me. The Golf was a bit tight inside for me, the Jetta is a booted Golf so same issue. Passat was nice inside but outside I'm a bit 50/50 and the equipment tally is not brilliant unless you pay about £22k.

A friend has a 2.0d Avensis estate and inside it is fairly quiet and power always seems to be good.

Auris, Verso, Avensis. My worry is the Verso could be up for a replacement/rejig by Toyota, the Auris will be the newest but I've not read a really good review yet.

Maybe another Avensis is not a bad idea afterall.....

Thanks bristolmotorspeedway. I sat in a few VW's and I don't know...they never really grabbed me. The Golf was a bit tight inside for me, the Jetta is a booted Golf so same issue. Passat was nice inside but outside I'm a bit 50/50 and the equipment tally is not brilliant unless you pay about £22k.

A friend has a 2.0d Avensis estate and inside it is fairly quiet and power always seems to be good.

Auris, Verso, Avensis. My worry is the Verso could be up for a replacement/rejig by Toyota, the Auris will be the newest but I've not read a really good review yet.

Maybe another Avensis is not a bad idea afterall.....

The Verso was completely re jigged in 2004 and I have not heard of a new model coming soon perhaps a face lift will be on the cards in the next year but I would not expect it to be to major as it still looks quite fresh but time will tell and somebody may have more info on any change happening.

I also tried out a Rav 4 diesel but was very disappointed with it

Also had you considered the Mazda 6 diesel I believe they are a cracking car plus excellent reliability

Apologies if this is going slightly OT but there was mention of a price given for a part-ex from Glass' Guide. One thing to remember when they quote this is to ask them to show you the Glass' Guide price on the car you are purchasing. Bet they won't be so keen to reveal that one!

Apologies if this is going slightly OT but there was mention of a price given for a part-ex from Glass' Guide. One thing to remember when they quote this is to ask them to show you the Glass' Guide price on the car you are purchasing. Bet they won't be so keen to reveal that one!

I find if you go to enough dealers to get quotes on your your part ex you tend to find out the price what your car is worth also its always the cost to change that matters if you are getting a substantial discount on the new car you can not expect to get over the book price for your trade in

On the vauxhall web site there is a value your car link to glasses but I find that this link under values the real trade in price of your car.

bjw-got some test drives tomorrow. Toyota only have petrol Avensis/Verso to try so I'm a little annoyed!

Mazda have both the 5 and 6 diesel to try, albeit the 1.8 and not the 2.0.

Oh well, see what happens!