Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windows Not Clearing Glass

newbuyer17

When I get in a car and it has been raining or is misty I would normally expect to be able wind down the side windows and for the seals to clear the window of rain and/or mist. This has worked like this on every car I have ever owned. Hope this makes sense to everyone.

My Yaris has from new failed to do this, and the window seal doesn't make contact with the glass, meaning I have to manually wipe both the side windows. It might seem like a small thing but it can get really annoying.

I have mentioned it to my dealer and got a blank look. Eventually they said they didn't think it was supposed to clear the glass? Can anyone confirm whether their car does this or not?

Thanks

i think yaris' are known to have problems with the window seals...may be yours is loose or faulty? i have no problems clearing steamed windows like the above method...

The clearing of water or steam from side windows would seem to have been an oversight in Yaris development, however, there is a simple soulution.

To clear the outside... After cleaning and drying the car, clean the windows thoroughly using pure methylated spirits (available at any DIY place in a half-litre bottle... pink and smelly!) using a soft microfibre towel. Then use a good window cleaner (autoglym is very good or rain-x foaming cleaner) again, using a microfibre (different one) then cover the window with either rain-x (although this can leave residue over time) or a clear-coat wax (meguires nxt is good) Make sure all residue is wiped off thoroughly and observe your super-clean windows! Then, when it rains, it will bead up very easily and also run-off very easily, so by the time you've gone part way down the street, your windows are practically clear.

To clear the inside... again, use the methylated spirits and window cleaner but don't bother with the wax or rain-x. Then, if they fog up, point the ventilation fans so the air-flow is aiming at the outer edge of the mirror and sweeping up the window, then full-heat, full power, windscreen direction, fresh-flow and 2mins later, all is clear. If air-con is present, then whack that on and re-circulate the air for a minute and it'll clear super quick, then back to fresh and air-con off. Or just leave the air-con all the time with fresh air. (except in wet humid conditions)

Hope this helps.

Mine have never cleared on either car... its no hassle... its a 1 second job to wipe them down before I set off.... :yes:

Mine do this also. Try sending the window down whilst pressing gently on the top centre of the glass. Works a treat - Though its not really a fix!! B)

I think ill sell my car now as it doesnt clear windows :P

Why do they mist up anyway, car hardly ever mists up!

well at least i think they do!! unless i havent noticed it before?!!

but to be fair they havent really misted up alot or any thing so i havent really noticed it! lol

Mine have never cleared on either car... its no hassle... its a 1 second job to wipe them down before I set off.... :yes:

Yes, neither Yaris I've had has cleared the windows by the old tried and trusted method (for most cars).

Ah well, we can't all get lucky. :P ;)

They mist up because of warmer, moist air condensing against the cold glass.

Incidentally, clean glass will clear of any fogging much more quickly than dirty glass. :yes:

Smokers, particularly, may find they experience a lot of misting up of their windows.

Yes, neither Yaris I've had has cleared the windows by the old tried and trusted method (for most cars).

Ah well, we can't all get lucky. :P ;)

They mist up because of warmer, moist air condensing against the cold glass.

Incidentally, clean glass will clear of any fogging much more quickly than dirty glass. :yes:

Smokers, particularly, may find they experience a lot of misting up of their windows.

I am a bit of a clean freak lol

Think window tints help with misting up aswell but that may just be my head! :yahoo:

Thanks all, was wondering whether it was just my car, but obviously not.

Its mainly rain on the outside thats a pain rather than mist. Just means you have to wipe the rain of by hand every time it has been raining.

OK, so its not a huge deal but I've never had a car that wasn't cleared by the window seals before.

I believe they stop the strip rubbing on the glass to prolong the life of the electric window motors.

On my last Yaris, the driver's window had a tendency to pull the rubber down into the door. Eventually, it gave up completely, pulled out the plastic door strip that holds it all in place and jammed the window. (while it was down, of course!).

Thankfully, it was Summer and I managed to effect a temporary repair to close the window. Toyota sorted it under warranty.

Now, this Yaris I have now has done the same trick once or twice, so far without any damage. Keeping fingers crossed.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

Winding down the windows to clear the glass is really bad practice. When the glass ices its a sure way to damage the mechanism and cause problems.

Why not take the 15 seconds to use a squeegee on the front side windows and you won't have these "problems". God forbid you catch any fresh air...

;)

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links