Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Help On Spark Plug Setting For 18rgu

toys-r-us

Hello everyone,

first time here so, pls. don't bash me, if I have a stupid question... I own a 72 celica w/ 18RGU engine. had it for over 9 yrs. now. but, about a year and a half ago, I had a problem getting the points for it ( inside distributor cup) so, I decided to put in storage. and, just now decided to take it out again. both a new distributor assembly, distributor cup & rotors but, what, I didn't do is to remember the right order of spark plug wires that, connects to distributor cup. (i.e 4-3-2-1 or, 2-1-3-4 etc.) can someone pls. help me out if anyone know the proper order of spark plug wires for 18RGU engine. :crybaby:

Thanks in advanced,

toys-r-us

I'm from the Sunny California. Actually, there was mechanic who's always been working on my car and ordering parts for it but, he move out of the country. so, ever since I kinda put my car aside & stored in storage. hopefully, someone will be able to help me w/ the proper sequence (order) of the spark plug wires to distributor. just needed to know which plugs fire-up first. have no manual of the engine.

Thanks guys,

toys-r-us

1-3-2-4 errr thats probably wrong :D i'll check tonight for you, and will post it early tommorow.

should be 1 3 4 2 ,if you still have the original distributor cap ie genuine toyota part,the numbers are embossed on the cap,and genuine ht leads have the numbers printed on them also.Hope this helps

cheers Harvey

Thanks alot Harvey...

I'll try what you've suggested as, soon I get off of work today. and, I'll post the out come.

thanks again,

toys-r-us

Hey! Harvey. the configuration you've advised works great. (1-3-4-2) but, unfortunately after reving the engine for awhile (feels good to hear the sound of the engine again) my fuel pump went out. spitting gas in a little hole on the bottom side of the pump. and, making knocking sound. I'm wondering if I could just go to local auto parts and, get a fuel pump for 18r/18rc engine. would this work? what would be the best solution to get my car going ASAP. any suggestion?

Thanks,

18RG tune up data as follows:

plug gap = 0.9 - 1.0mm

points gap = 0.45mm

Dwell angle = 50 -54 degrees

ignition timing 5 deg. BTDC

compression pressure = 184.6 psi

14.2 veriation

limit 142.0 psi

at Compression TDC rotar arm should point around North east.

Firing order 1-3-4-2

Sparkplugs - ND = WZOEXR

NGK = BPR-6EZ

Valve clearance (cold) I = 0.26-0.32mm

E=0.31 - 0.36

If u need any more info let me know....

The fuel pump on a 2TG is the same as a 2T and 2TB, so i dont see why it wouldnt work....

Personally, im gonna go for a electric one soon.

I agree with Scot,the 18r series pump will do,or make a blanking plate up.for the block and go for an electric one.

cheers Harvey

thank you both (Scot & Harvey) for all the help you guys have given me. now I could bring my old Celica back to life. :D one last thing, can I use the oil filter for 18r engine to my 18rg engine?

Again, thank you guys for all the help.

toys-r-us

I would imagine it should be the same spec,but I always use the genuine toyota oil filters as some aftermarket filters can cause premature wear on your crankshaft bearings

cheers Harvey :D

I totally agree with you to stick w/ original parts. but, here in the US, it's kinda hard to find parts on this type of engine. especially it's old and, it never became available in any car here in the U.S. to put in the market. I mean, yes... I could probably get parts in any after market stores. but, it still gonna take a few days or weeks before, I get it. for now I'm just doing a quick fix to get this baby on the road again. anyways, thank you again for your quick respond.

toys-r-us

I would imagine it should be the same spec,but I always use the genuine toyota oil filters as some aftermarket filters can cause premature wear on your crankshaft bearings

Really? didnt know that! How does that work then? what i mean is why does it cause premature wear :D

some aftermarket oil filters dont have an antidrainback valve installed so on start up the oil pump has to refill the oil filter before any oil gets to the bearings,hence a rattle on start up,and if the car has an oil press light,as opposed to a gauge, say 5 seconds or so before the light goes out and oil pressure established.If you have no oil press for 5 seconds every start up that ammounts to a lot of "dry running" over a year hence premature crankshaft wear.Well thats the theory anyway.

Ok, ill get on the case with one from toyota... im running a champion one at the mo...

Hey! Guys,

got my Celica up n' running again. thanks to you guys... anyways, I decided to just used electronic fuel pump. since a friend gave me a Holley pump that, he had no use for it. (works great). so, now I'm going to focus working on the body and, a little work inside too. when, I get done w/ this project I'll post some pics here so, you guys could see it. :)

Well thanks again fellows,