Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Performance

lincs

Hi, Im looking for a cheap run about for a few months before I go travelling which is reasonable on insurance, reliable and with a bit of poke. Also idealy I was after something that I could give to my parents before I go away, so something sensible would be good. One of my first thoughts was a Starlet 1.3 (UK non-turbo). I notice they are around 75bhp and book 0-60 is around 10-10.5. Now these are pretty good performance figures for what it is but i was really after something with a bit more go (something that can at least stay somewhere close to my mate's 205 GTI although i realise that an NA starlet will never be a match for a GTI). Can any reasonale power figures be chapely gained from the 1.3, say improved breathing and a ECU remap? I would have thought a starlet with say 90bhp and a bit of weight saving would be a reasonably nippy motor. Is this reaslistic or should I look elsewhere?

Cheers

According to the starlet engine list on this forum the 4EFE engine from the starlet ranges from 75-99bhp with the same compression ratio. What are the differences between them to give such a difference in power? Did any of the UK starlets have more than 75 bhp? Is it possible to "convert" a 75 bhp variant to 99bhp?

the 99bhp 4efe's have a remapped ecu and a few other things but it's all bolt on stuff so would be quite easy to boost a ukdm 4efe.

but those parts could be difficult to get hold of. the easyiest way in my experience to get to 90bhp is to fit the 5efe engine as found in the paseo, drops straight in with no mods. :)

apart from that, the usual air filter/exhaust mods will help too.

What bolt on stuff would be required? Suely with these engines being so common it cant be that hard to find them?

the 100bhp 4efe only came in the Glanza S, not a common car

Best bet would be as Ian said, 5efe, then for locating other parts try and source a JDM 4efe intake manifold from a AE111 Toyota Corolla GS (Longer runners for top end), a 5efhe or 7afe Throttlebody (5mm bigger bore), 5efhe camshafts (longer duration/higher lift), 5efhe pistons & rods (Stronger rods and domed pistons for higher compression ratio), 5efhe injectors (225cc/min as opposed to 195cc/min in the 5efe), and that'd be a decent "conversion". Most of the 5efhe stuff can be gotten by Andrew (toyotasera.co.uk is his username) for a good price. For any other aftermarket parts, check the stickied catalogue I made (Shameless plug)

or just get a 4efte (Starlet GT/Glanza) like Ian and countless others have

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links