Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Mirrors

Chris81

According to the owners manual the wing mirrors can be folded towards the side of the car, like most cars I suppose! What I'm asking is do you need to apply a lot of force to get them to move? I 'gently pushed' mine and it didn't budge at all but was reluctant to push any harder in case it broke!!

Yeah they do fold in, i thought the same thing when i first got my car! once uv folded them for the first time, they are easier to fold after that. They must just get stiff if left alone for a while.

You got to have some cohona's! Just give it a good push, soon goes in.

cool! good posting, i wanted to know this too lol, wanted to fold mine in once gave it a little nudge, it didnt move so i didnt try again lol

• 5 months later...

Out of interest are there any Yaris models that don't have folding mirrors?

I've just bought a 2001 1.3 16v VVTi CDX and those electric mirrors feel solid !

oh and this is my first post on here, so hey everybody ! B)

All mirrors fold in, it's to stop them doing extreme damage to a pedestrian if hit !!!

Imagine being hit accross the a :censor: e by a mirror that didnt fold..........ouchhh ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club Colin, there's no point in adding to the above as Kingo appears to have answered your question. If there are any more though feel free to ask away

I fold mine in almost daily when the car is left in the road. I also fold them in at work to stop them being knocked by staff walking by.

A little bit of force is needed. I sprayed a small amount of WD40 in the joint which helps a little.

Driver’s side: Use left hand to push main mirror body towards the car, and I use the right hand at the pivot end to support the movement. Opposite for the other side of course :thumbsup:

Colin, apparently they will fold in but I've never tried. Mine feel rock solid too and I fear folding them back will break something. They're probably so stiff because they never been folded in during the life of the car. I'm sure once you've folded them in once then next time will be easier, but are you man enough to try!?

Thanks for all the quick responses everyone :D

The previous owner couldn't answer the question and they had owned the car from new, so i guess the mirrors have never moved before.

I think i'll try what TVOR said and spray on some WD40 and have another go tonight. I'd like to protect the mirrors when parked if i can. I'll report back with the results........ :unsure:

You've just got to use some force, when I was trying to fold mine for the 1st time it felt like they were going to snap so I stopped, then my dad came out & just wacked them with his palm & they folded in. Don't do it slowly, they're like a plaster, use plenty of force at once & they'll fold in harmlessly, trust me

My Corolla T-Sport were hard to fold in at first but once you've fold them in a few times they loosen up nicely. As mentioned before try a little WD40 first to make things easier. :thumbsup:

My Corolla T-Sport were hard to fold in at first but once you've fold them in a few times they loosen up nicely. As mentioned before try a little WD40 first to make things easier. :thumbsup:

Yeah, they all fold but I filled my trousers the first time I did it! No movement, then a sudden CRACK and away they went!

Do it without flinching now. B)

I found out mine folded in when I got a bit to close to a car when parking.

I thought ***** I've damaged my mirror, then just pushed it back out. Nice one.

In my old Yaris (MK1 ph 1) - was very stiff to fold, but folded with a bit of force

In my new Yaris SR(MK2) - folds both ways very easily!

Well I took the plunge the other night, applied some ArmorAll spray on the mirror (good for protecting rubber and plastic trim) then gave the mirrors a push and they moved ! :D

Now i know they move i'll keep using them to keep them moving.

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup: