Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corolla Question

Zbynio

Hello everyone,

I find this forum very interesting since I own a Corolla '02 1.6 Sol, 5d hatch. I live in Poland, where new Corolla is a very popular car, but many people begin to see its weak points as well.

Personally I think it's way to noisy, engine etc. I know Toyota is doing something about. Our dealers here say they changed many things inside to eliminate noises etc, but they don't want to tell me what exactly. Point is, I want to improve my car up to the current specs. I can pay for this, but they are not eager to co-operate. I'm sure that the whole engine & gearbox suspension should be changed - what do you call those 'cushions' on which the engine itself is mounted ? I would also like to add some materials that would eliminate the road noise etc.

I see you know a lot about this car since it is made in your country, therefore you are in a much better position.

Question is: What parts do I need ?

Hi,

Fact is I agree with you, I own a 1.6 Tspirit Corolla and the engine/gearbox is noisy, the radio facia rattles and has dropped and many more annoying issues. I believe there is a known issue with the engine mounts on all 02 models, there is also a question mark over the auxiliary drive belt tensioner (keeps the belt tight around the alternator etc.)which can vibrate and rattle. I have been very persistent at trying to get a dealer to agree with me on these problems and to sort them out, now I hope I have found one after three failed attempts some 6 months on. This dealer has ordered a few new parts which I hope to get fitted in September some are listed on the Toyota Technical service bulletins that the dealer has access to. If your can't get any joy from your current dealer, change to a different one if this is an option. Also contact your Toyota customer services department and complain. I believe Toyota Europe may cover your region.

I have posted many complaints about the Corolla on this web site including the Auto Express post, have a look at these previous posts it may help you to generate your own approach at getting your problems resolved.

I don't think that these mods will solve all the noise issues but they should help. Guess we will have to buy a face lift version perhaps late into 2004 to get a sound vehicle.

Good luck.

Gaz.

Zbyni..there was a thread on the (USA) "known defects/solutions" forum of www.2003corolla.org that referred to the rubber composition of the engine mounts being too hard, and allowing noise and vibration to enter the cabin. Also it was mentioned to Gaz, by a dealer in UK that improved mounts are now available to improve noise and vibration. The last engine mount thread on this MB is here..

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=ST&f=4&t=4549&

Hi Gaz, if you're reading this....did that Dealer end up fitting the new mounts for you ???? (Q.) (He said the engine mounts would be changed for a new modified type. The rear one was the worse, it causes vibrations and general engine noise to be relayed through the mount and into the cabin.)

Hi ganyb,

Excuse my french but no the !Removed! dealer didn't fit the engine mount and he didn't do anything except fit another inlet manifold it should not have had (yet another Inchcape dealer not delivering as promised). The latest dealer I have visited punched my VIN into the Toyota computer and guess what it should have had a modified one fitted. He has ordered one along with other parts which are taking up to 6 weeks to arrive from Wales to England how stupid is that?

I will let you know when I have the mods in place probably around the 10 September, this will be 9 months after I bought the car.

Well until I get these parts fiited I don't have much to say, but I am still reading all the posts.

Hope you are keeping well, keep in touch my friend.

Regards

GAZ

Mines just had a new engine mount fitted Monday. It has made no difference as I can tell Its an 03 T-sport 5dr and it still vibrates and the dash and the radio and all the rest of the common faults posted here

It'll never be fixed

Dickens..thanks for the post, but I really didn't want to hear that the new mounts haven't solved the noise and vibration in your car, I had high hopes that this would fix things for my noisy vibrating new Corolla when they're eventually fitted.

Can I ask..did they say they replaced ALL the mounts, or just the back one,and did they say exactly WHAT the differences are in the mounts?

Hi all

My Corolla has the new engine mount, and it helped. Of course the sound of the engine is the same, but the vibrations are not that noisy anymore at 4200rev, it's now at 3900.

So on the autobahn in the 6th gear @130km/h it's no problem.

But, you have to drive at least 300km first, I did 500km then it was better

Patrick

My dealer installed a new 'inlet manifold' (is that the right word for this element?) and it helped. A little. I still think the car is too noisy. About a month ago Toyota in Poland introduced a 'modified' Corolla with - as they say - new 'inlet manifold' and few modifications in engine suspension to prevent noise & vibrations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember someone here on this forum suggested that certain elements (parts) can be removed and replaced with those from Corolla '03, mainly to reduce engine noise etc.

I know your knowledge about Corolla is superior, you give many excellent advice on this forum. Thanks to one of those I was able to persuade my dealer to order that 'Radio Gap Kit' for me, even though he was not aware it existed at all. "You're the first person asking for it" - he said to me. I'll have it installed in a few days and I hope it would help.

Accordingly, I was wondering if you guys could suggest other improvements & advice ? Is there anybody out there who could present me a more detailed list of modifications they made in Corolla '03 ?

By the way: Would you please tell me what does those three letters 'TSB' stand for ? (for example: Radio Gap TSB).

Hey guys look what I just got from my dealer :D

kit.JPG

No, it's a joke of course, just couldn't resist you know :)

And on the other hand... :crybaby:

My dealer is quite OK, but he needs a little 'motivation' I think. I told him about this 'radio gap problem', he said they knew what it was all about, but had no solution for it. I told him that the solution itself was ready and was called the 'radio gap tsb', he was amazed that I knew about it, because he obviously did not. He checked it in on a computer and promised to order it. I got a call from him this morning and 'radio gap tsb' is waiting for me now, so I hope it would help :D

Now I want to convince him to order those new mounts for me, but again, I presume he would need a little 'motivation'.

1) Are there 3 of those mounts ? 2 in the front and 1 in the rear ?

2) What about gearbox mounts ? Any need to change them as well ?

3) Are there any decent sound deading kits or something like that ?

Any suggestions, any help and any info on those mounts, parts numbers, anything... would be greatly appreciated ;)

The radio "noise kit" is simply some self-sticking tapes of soft material/rubber and it has been obvioulsy used in all 2003 Corollas!

It seems impossible though to eliminate the vibration noise at the dashboard.

The central Greek dealer in Greece just moved the radio a little bit upwards but the noise was not eliminated.

What we need/require is TOYOTA to elliminate that noise so that we have a normal small family car such as those produced by all companies in the last 2 decades!

Lots of complaints about dealers I see.

Try chasing them via Customer Relations. I was hunting for a part that was taking a bit long, one call to them and the dealer called me back in 30 minutes!

customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk

01737 367 600

I'm in touch with them again trying to sort out a complaint I have with a dealer.

These people have to listen to their customers!

At the moment my car is not "in front"... it's off the road instead.

Try chasing them via Customer Relations. I was hunting for a part that was taking a bit long, one call to them and the dealer called me back in 30 minutes!

customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk

01737 367 600

My experience of Toyota Customer Relations is not that good - they have told me that the problems I have have to be dealt with by the Dealer - Toyota CR can only act in an advisory capacity and it's up to the Dealers to sort out problems... gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll be seeing my dealer soon and as I said I want to convince him to order those new engine mounts for me.

1) Are there 3 of those mounts ? 2 in the front and 1 in the rear ?

2) What about gearbox mounts ? I'd like to mount the new ones as well.

3) Are there any decent sound deading kits or something like that ?

Anyone ?