Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 D4d Tuning Box

ccvrs

Just got a MK2 D4D Yaris 89bhp model. I'm going to get a tuning box for it but was looking for advice on whether the Digital box at £209 was worth the extra over the analoge box at £119. Thanks.

Ooohh good question.

I would say that they should be EXACLTY the same and give the same performance but the difference tuning wise would be adjusting it digitally or using analogue.

I would say on a car of today that a digital component would be better because of the digial ECU etc, also is will be alot easier/accurate to adjust. Also being digital there will be less room for errors and there will be some sort of error checking where as the analogue signal might not have this?

However all the above is tosh and is just how i'm looking at it.

Is it posible for you to post links to each of the devices and have you also compaired the specs of the components?

Hopefully someone will explain but if not just ask the company :thumbsup:

Also welcome to the club and the diesel brigade ;)

This is the response i got from a guy selling them in the US.

"The PowerBox CR consists of a microprocessor and an integrated circuit

consisting of a few capacitors and resistor. The microprocessor controls all

data flow. The power gain is somewhat linear with acceleration and increases

as speed increases throughout the accelaration range. Only the adjustment is

analog. Power adjustments can be easily made using a micro flat tip

screwdriver.

We also have the fully digital PowerBox CRplus. This PowerBox is programmed

a little differently in that the performance gain varies on demand, making

it the better choice for savings in fuel economy. While the "standard" CR is

a very good unit and provides adequate power and savings in fuel, the CRplus

is capable of producing greater power for higher top-end speed."

Looking at the above I'm tempted by the digital unit. Just wondered if anyone has one fitted.

So I was kinda right in my line of thinking - I know that a few people on here have the analogue boxes so it might be good to hear their replys.

Surely both boxes would give out the same BHP increase - say 40BHP

The difference in the analgue box is that you could only increase/decrease in steps of 5 from 1-100, where as the digital box would give you more control/steps allowing you to find tune/tweek to get the maximum performance from your car.

Mine (and a couple of others on this forum) came from a blokey in Arbroath/Montrose area selling on e-bay.

When I bought mine the digital one was not available and were it available now I would have bought one of those. Why? Because I've lost count of the number of turns I've given mine but the digital one has specific stops at the top and bottom of the range!

I have had mine for a year and about 20k miles with no problem. Well with the cash imho...

A

Mine (and a couple of others on this forum) came from a blokey in Arbroath/Montrose area selling on e-bay.

When I bought mine the digital one was not available and were it available now I would have bought one of those. Why? Because I've lost count of the number of turns I've given mine but the digital one has specific stops at the top and bottom of the range!

I have had mine for a year and about 20k miles with no problem. Well with the cash imho...

A

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for, have ordered a digital unit from the guy in Arbroath

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All, as some of you know our D4D was chopped for a PD130 Golf a short while ago .. I just thought I'd drift by these pages to see what's going on and noticed this thread.

I've got a used Yaris tuning box (the same type as Alan's) if anyone's interested ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190102097849

• 1 year later...

Just found this info which is very useful...thought I would post it just in case anyone else was wondering.

"The system is easy to install, directly on the Common Rail pressure sensor (MAP sensor). The great benefit of the system is that it completely digital which means that the onboard processor can not only increase the amount of pressure by altering the rail signal but it is also capable of measuring the actual pressure in the rail and do calculations on the pressure which gives the freedom of regulation within the saved parameters. If the system measures levels that could harm the fuel system, it can respond within a millisecond, and provide the engine ECU a much higher level so that it regulated the pressure back also within a millisecond. By creating mathematical maps into the tuning device, the processor can learn and readjust itself which makes it a very reliable system. By altering the information regarding the amount of rail pressure we can easily make sure the engine produces up to 35% more BHP output."

I have fitted a PSI Powerbox on my 06 D4d. I think that is a digital box. It works really well with much improved mid range grunt and no increase in fuel consumption. It also seems to reduce the off boost lag a little. The only downside is a the occasional puff of black smoke at low speed when cold which is probably just a bit of overfuelling however it is slight and disappears when the car is warm.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Car keeps pace with all sorts of things like Civic 2.2 diesel, C220 CDI Mercs , BMW 320 d etc. it is funny watching the look on the reps faces as the little yaris can't be shaken!

I've read that the smoke can happen if too much diesel is injected. Sounds like you need to adjust it. Does yours allow you to do this? I agree, it makes quite a difference.

I've read that the smoke can happen if too much diesel is injected. Sounds like you need to adjust it. Does yours allow you to do this? I agree, it makes quite a difference.

I think it can be adjusted using jumper pins? I am not sure. Smoke is intermittent/transient and not that bad certainly not enough to worry about. Power, or more accurately the inceased torque, is great. Toyota really should do the Sr with this upgrade.

Mine has a dial that can be adjusted from number 1-9 with a screwdriver. It was recommended by the seller that 4-6 is best for my yaris but you can try them all and see what works best, obviously looking out for smoke and feeling how if affects the performance.