Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator Change

ho8day

Hi everyone,

Hope somebody can help me?!

Still having problems with a squeal under the bonnet of my celica 190. First off had my belt and tensioner changed and noise went away that lasted 2,000 miles now its back :crybaby:

Took it to the Toyota dealers and now they are telling me the bearings have gone in the alternator! Was thinking of changing the bearings myself but getting hold of the bearings is near on impossible, so have decided to get a second hand alternator. Because im a skin flint I have decided to fit this myself - surely cant be that hard? :wacko:

Does anybody have any tips for changing the alterantor or have tried this before??

Thanks in advance

Paul :D

I can't help too much I'm afraid but I can tell you that it is a very common problem on the Gen 7 and people have tried nearly everything and cannot get it to go away for more than a few thousand miles. I'm not sure changing the alternator would do it. Try searching for posts on the topic before spending more.

My brother has the same problem and finds that carefully brushing the inside of the moving belt with a toothbrush and spraying little oil in the pulleys helps.