Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Strange Noises Comining From My St 20v

blackfx

help there is stange noises coming from my engine bay :crybaby: cant tell wat it is any one got any ideas ???????

help there is stange noises coming from my engine bay :crybaby: cant tell wat it is any one got any ideas ???????

Give us some clues mate. What sort of sound, when is it occuring?

Give us some clues mate. What sort of sound, when is it occuring?

it sounds like its cuming from around the drive belts. i took the covers of an everything looks normal. it gets louder the harder i rev it.

Is it a rumbling sound? Maybe it's the bearing gone in the cambelt tensioner. I had that on mine when I bought it.

awrite mate i know that my 20v engine makes a lot of funky nosiey but when i read other owners reviews and ask some of my mates who also have them they all kinda have the same problems. i know that they have a very loud rattle to them but its normal plus if you have and airfilter or open stacks it gets louder around the vvt point ( 6k or wateva )

if it aitn that then i would check the tensiorns i had a strange nosie about 1 months ago for a bit then a tensinor snapped lol gutted.

jonny

Is it a rumbling sound? Maybe it's the bearing gone in the cambelt tensioner. I had that on mine when I bought it.

Mine has a strange rattling sound aswell...

How much was it to change the cambelt tensioner?

i was thinkin it was cumin from that side alright. but its hard to tell do. how much did it cost to get the tensioners done

I'm not sure how much the tensioner cost, the previous owner bought it. They are usually a fiver for most cars so i'd guess it's a tenner for the Levin :rolleyes:

As for fitting, you may aswell change the cambelt also, so a garage will charge the usual costs associated with doing that.

You can check by removing the covers and feeling if the belt is slack. You can also run the engine and put something (round) against the belt, near to where the tensioner is, this'll take the pressure off the tensioner and the noise will lessen/stop if it is the tensioner.

There maybe something else causing the noise though. My engine changes note (induction, not exhuast) at a certain point. It gives a high pitched rattle/whine from about 8,000rpm up to 8,200rpm. I think this noise is pinking/detonation. I run mine on Tesco super unleaded (99ron), if some of you are using normal unleaded and the noise is indeed pinking/detonation, some of you may find this occurs lower down the rev range.

It's just a theory, if it goes once my engine gets mapped on the new ECU, that'll be proof.

i found the problem its the alternater but i think ill change the timing bearing aswell just to be on the safe side. any idea how much an alternater is ????. i get that noise aswell an i run 95 with millers octane boost.

i had a strange rumbleing noise from my engine bay that was affecting the peformance of my engine. it got worse n worse then the engine seized. it turned out to be the aircon pump bearing had packed in so i ripped it out and didnt replace it.because i ran the engine it put that much strain on my engine that it tore the timing belt in 3 places

i had a strange rumbleing noise from my engine bay that was affecting the peformance of my engine. it got worse n worse then the engine seized. it turned out to be the aircon pump bearing had packed in so i ripped it out and didnt replace it.because i ran the engine it put that much strain on my engine that it tore the timing belt in 3 places

i have my air con disconected i just took the belt of it. could the same thing still happen to mine ????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links