Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed For Mkii Mr2 Turbo Engine Rebuilding

PhiXiuS

Hi...i'm new to these forums and am interested in the second generation mr2 turbo models and lookin to buy. After lookin around....i could't find one with low miles at an affordable price...i'm thinking about just buying a mr2 with a lot of miles on it at a low price and just rebuilding the engine...i've tried lookin on the internet but haven't had any luck...looking for help...thanx in advance

Depends what you mean by affordable and 2nd Gen (do you mean MR2 Mk2, or do you mean '95+) .. I know of Turbo's going for 3.5 - 4k

And any high milage (100+k) turbo i'd be weary of as being imports, they should be very low milage. My car is about 12 years old and is comming up for about 60k miles.

Also, why are you thinking of re-building the engine? With forged pistons etc?

sorry...i'm new to all this...what do you mean with 100k miles and imports?....i was thinking of rebuilding the engine because my friends have said that i would have a higher chance of having engine problems and it would be a good idea to rebuild it....if you could help me out more that would be great...thanx

Okay .. firstly all Mk2 Turbo's are imports .. none were made for the UK (or Europe for that matter) and as a general observation, imports have lower mileage as the !Removed! don't drive as far on average as the Brits.

There a 5 revisions of mk2 .. and in the US they are known as Gen(eration)2 and Gen3. The Rev1&2 have the second generation 3s-gte engine (the first generation engine was in the Celica ST165 gt4, the Gen2 in the ST185 and the Gen3 in the ST205 ). The Gen3 engine came in about '95, and had a different turbo and bigger injectors and are known as Rev3/4/5 MR2's.

And because the engines are the same as the Rally bred GT4, the engines are pretty bullet proof. As long as the car boosts to beyond the stock '+' on the guage and it "feels" good, there usually are no problems.

I'd only suggest rebuilding if there is something wrong ..

Where in the country are you? and what's your budget & spec you are after?

Shame you wouldn't consider an NA (non-turbo) as mine is for sale and in very good nick, also lots of extra's...

101_0149.sized.jpg

Shame you wouldn't consider an NA (non-turbo) as mine is for sale and in very good nick, also lots of extra's...

NA's are good .. and I'm after one to use as an everyday car (20 mpg is getting silly when I do 260 miles a week). And yours, Ryan, is a good example .. but I'd still prefer a tubby ..

NA's are good .. and I'm after one to use as an everyday car (20 mpg is getting silly when I do 260 miles a week). And yours, Ryan, is a good example .. but I'd still prefer a tubby ..

Tubby's are great cars no disputing that but as an everyday car I feel the NA has the upper hand....

If I had the money to run 2 cars I would have to have a tubby for fun and possibly an NA for everyday use :)

tubby for fun and possibly an NA for everyday use

Exactly where I'm headed I think .. strip the turbo down for minimalist fun .. and then ICE and bling an NA up .. But it'd need black and T-bar again ..

101_0149.sized.jpg

aaah... we have the same tax disc mate.....

did you get it from Halfords ??

also, are your rev 3 rear lights for sale ?

What spoiler do you have on your motor there Ryan ?

Jim, still trying to get my brother to let me sell them, if I havent heard from him soon I'll just throw them in the car and sell them anyway, sorry for the delay...