Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Recommend A Good Bike Rack For A 4.3 ?

Sussex_Paul

Just wondering what options/prices are out there and what anyone here recommends.

I've got a T180 without roofbars or a towbar and don't have a clue if I can get a decent bike rack for 4 bikes without fitting either of the above.

Any suggestions please?? :help:

Just wondering what options/prices are out there and what anyone here recommends.

I've got a T180 without roofbars or a towbar and don't have a clue if I can get a decent bike rack for 4 bikes without fitting either of the above.

Any suggestions please?? :help:

Hi Paul

I have toyota roof bars (the ones that go from left side to right side, not the front to back ones!) and have attached bike racks from Halfords.

It all works very well, I need a stool to stand on to reach the bikes but it leaves the back door free to open/close

Happy cycling

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone used one of those that straps onto the back? Is it possible?

If so, are they any good? Also, is it safe to open the door with one attached?

• 1 month later...

Still looking for a cycle carrier.

I bought one from Halfords today (strap on the back type), however, on getting it home, and reading the instructions, it says not recommended for side opening tailgates, due to the hinges 'might not be stong enough' and the cariier may not fit properly. Although we will be going on holiday (Centerparcs - hence the bikes) in my wife's VW Touran, I wanted to use it on my RAV too. Anyone have any experience of using this type of carrier on the RAV, esp the T180 or XTR?

I bought one from Halfords today (strap on the back type), however, on getting it home, and reading the instructions, it says not recommended for side opening tailgates, due to the hinges 'might not be stong enough' and the cariier may not fit properly. Although we will be going on holiday (Centerparcs - hence the bikes) in my wife's VW Touran, I wanted to use it on my RAV too. Anyone have any experience of using this type of carrier on the RAV, esp the T180 or XTR?

I am sure your hinges on the rear door will take a bike rack when you consider that the same door on other models carry a spare wheel. My concerns would be the top of the door and spoiller would not take the weight or the strain of bikes bumping up and down. I had the rear door panel of yesterday to fit a new checkstrap and there isn't alot holding the rear window in place.

As for alternative bike racks we are very limited.

I'd say buy one that fits on the spare wheel..... But as you have a T180 thats a bit difficult :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do you have a tow bar fitted, if so some good ones for these... Used to have a Paddy Hopkirks that fitted to my old Renault Migraine nicely...But having the rear prospects spoiler on the RAV puts that one useless now.. and also having my shed broken into a week ago :censor: I no longer have bikes to put onto it now..and the grass is also getting longer as well :censor: :censor:

Sorry to hear that chatman.

Good point about the hinges and the spare wheel, JHRC.

No towbar, and no roof rails :(

I think the problem with these hang off the back types is that most of the pressure will be at the top of the tailgate, which would be where the hinges of a hatchback would be. These hinges, i would imagine, would bear most of the pressure. On side opening tailgates, there is nothing there!! I think I might stick with it, as there'll only be 2 bikes on, and they are both aluminium frames, and not steel. I don't want to spend £100s on something I'll use a few times a year.

EDIT: Damn, can't get my son's bike on properly. It's a 20", but has a really shallow, and akward shaped frame, with quite thick square tubing. Might have to go for the roof option, I think. At least on my wife's car to begin with. However, I've a feeling that the bar that keeps the bike on may not fit the square (more oblong actually) tubing. Dunno, I haven't really seen one yet, so will have to try it.

Thanks ulysse. I'm not keen on a permanent tow bar, so would go for a removable one if I did go this way. I guess, looking at your pics, that you would need a permenant tow bar to use your set-up. Also, I want to be able to use whatever I get on both my and my wife's car, so that would mean getting 2 tow bars!! I rather not spend all that money on something we'll use a few times a year. I do like the look of roof rails, and had thought about adding some to my T180. Why they don't come as standard, i don't know. In fact 'no roof rails' is listed as a feature on the T180 spec?? Anyway, as my wife has already got roof rails on her car (as standard!!), getting roof bars looks like the way to go. My brother has some roof mounted cycle carriers we could borrow too. The annoying thing is that his roof rails are too short for my wife's car :(

did not know about the no roof rails! What a pain in the bum! If I were you I would go for the rack that straps on the back door . The doors are made strong enough to carry a spare wheel so two bikes wont make much difference and you can use it on your wifes car depending on wat she has got

• 3 weeks later...

i have a t180 and am planning on a centreparcs holiday later this year too. we're taking the bikes and have decided on the Thule solution. you basically buy all the bits seperately, so therefore you can buy the bars, feet and adapter plates seperately. The idea is that when you change your car, you only have to buy new adapter plates. So, in theory, you could buy a set of adapter plates for both of your cars. If you go to thule's website they have a little tool that tells you the product codes that you need. I have been using that information to then find the parts on eBay.

HTH!! :thumbsup:

Yep, we bought some Thule roofbars in the end, for my wife's car, and borrowed my brother's cycle carriers. Got to put it all together in the next few days, as we're off on Friday. We bought the 755 foot pack and 869 aero bars for £95 delivered, from skidrive.co.uk. I didn't find that eBay prices were any cheaper. One thing i will say si that they are not transferable between all cars, unless you buy the longest bar. We thought we could use my brother's (Toyota Corrola Verso) Thule setup on my wife's car (VW Touran), but found that the bars were not long enough. Having done the research, I believe the recommended bar for the VW is the longest in the range, so hopefully should fit most, if not all cars. No idea which one is recommended for the RAV. Could you let me know what 'bits' you buy in the end. Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links