Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starlet 1.3 Turbo Question

emicen

OK, here's the story. I really want a GT4, but my current finances will not permit that (well they could but i'd like to own it AND drive it :lol: ). So i'm thinking of getting a Starlet Turbo. I know its not as fast, but theyre Toyota's so should be reliable and turbo fun. But i havent been able to get any info on them in the UK, i know they brought 1.3 SR's in to the UK but did they bring 1.3 Turbo's in?

I'd probably be looking at an import, whats the difference between a Starlet and a Starlet Glanza? I've seen them listed separately on import web sites but never found anywhere that could explain the difference!

Is there anything i should look out for when looking to buy one?

Does anyone have a link to some performance reviews? Whats their 0-60, top speed, 1/4 mile, 50-70 stats etc?

Phew, i think thats all my questions for now!

All Starlet Turbos are imports, they were never officially imported.

Until about 1996, someone will correct me if they were wrong, they were EP82 Starlets. 135ps (135bhp) from a 1300cc turbo engine. Early ones had rectangular headlamps, later ones had round headlamps and a different grille.

From 1996 they became the EP91 and had a more modern appearance and were known as the Glanza. They were heavier and had more goodies, but this dulled the performance and they are a teeny bit slower than the EP82.

They respond well to modification and because they are light they go well. They are sub 1500cc so you get cheap road tax in the UK

I know of a fairly tastefully modified one for sale

Andrew

Toyota Sera with Starlet Turbo engine.

A good source of info is www.toyotaownersclub.com and there is a forum there as well. A proportion of forum members hang out here as well.

Top speed is academic as its meaningless, but about 125-130mph

0-60 in about 7 seconds

Accurate except 135ps = 133bhp. :thumbsup:

Here's some more info.

Ep82 1990-1996

Ep91 1996-1999

Ep82 0-60 6.9secs, Standing quarter 15.2 secs

Ep91 0-60 7.8 secs Standing quarter 16.0 secs

The EP82 has a slight advantage due to less weight.

Both are very reliable (no weakness), can be expensive to modify.

Both have the same 4E-FTE engine.

300bhp is available for the extreme modifier! (proven)

yby, have an imaginary prize for spotting the deliberate mistake.

yby, have an imaginary prize for spotting the deliberate mistake.

Great! I've got a great imagination :D

Thanks for the info guys, its all good.

I'm still unsure whether I'll go for a 82 or 91. Are the quad lights on the EP82 above actual quad lights or just a grille/headlight cover?

I like the EP91's style because its very similar to the UK's Starlet 1.3SR and that looks really good when lowered with race style alloys (i'm not sure about the Glanza bumper with the round spot lights)

But the EP82 is faster, looks a bit bigger and without the quad lights I really like the look of it.

Ultimately I suppose the 91 is going to be more reliable due to being younger / lower mileage.

The quad lights came on the 94-95 82s (correct me if im wrong lads). In my opinion i would go for the 82. They are quicker but then again if you want something newer go for the 91. Just have a look around and see what you reckon. And as for the younger ones being more reliable they probably are but the older ones dont break down much at all.

Tom

Or get an Mk2 MR2 NA pretty much same speed, great handling and you can take the roof off :)

Except with a turbo car its easier to release those hidden horses! :D

depends what you want mate.

if you want all the comforts get a glanza V

if you want to tune it and make a it a monster, get an 82, their cheaper and faster.

that quad one up there is billys, and it is an absolute f :censor: kin animal....

if you want to tune it and make a it a monster, get an 82, their cheaper and faster.

that quad one up there is billys, and it is an absolute f :censor: kin animal....

Not Billys any more :(

Not Billys any more :(

What happend to it? Who has it now?

he hasnt pranged it has he???

i cant imagine him selling it.

its a shame either way. that car was mint

Swapped it for a golf 1.8 gti turbo. He really wants his car back. Told him to sell it , buy another starlet and spend the balance making it really quick :ph34r: . Haven't heard from him lately but will keep you posted

Right Gentlemen, I need your considered opinions....I may have found a Starlet (EP82, even though i went to Southend last night, speed is more important than style!)

What do you guys think its worth:

Fresh off the boat from Japan and SVA'd etc.

94 L Plate with 28,000 miles

Aircon & Leccy Windows/Mirrors

Standard apart from some 7-spoke typically Jap looking alloys (think they may be 16's but look small cos they're black/carbon coloured)

How much would you guys expect to pay (bearing in mind its from a dealership, not private)

£5995 reduced to £4995 sounds about right then! Just gota figure out how much i can get for my current car and how much a warranty will cost and then I'll have some hard thinking to do.

The silly man swapped it for a golf!!!

next time you see him tell him i called him a bell end. and then slap him

silly ****** :lol:

Easy rick, billy is regretting it badly now mate, but then i'd have done the same that golf is probably worth 2-3K more than his starlet so if he sells that should be able to build a beast.

Simon :yes: