Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light Came Up

raywong

hey everyone,

right, my old SR (mum's currently driving it) was suffering from slow reaction for a few weeks, what i mean is, when u put your right foot down, the ecu had to think for about a second before the revs comes.. i immediately thought it might be a dirty MAF, but didnt clean it straight away. dad unplugged the Battery a few days ago to reset it but the problem still exist.

two days ago i took my mums car and went up to nottingham with a few mate, went to birmingham today, and on our way back from birmingham, the engine management light came on. we managed to get back to nottingham with no problems, but i got no tools or anything to clean the MAF now, and i wont go back to MK (home) for another 2 days, and the 2 days coming i am looking at doing another 150 miles.

i've got two questions at the moment.

1. is it safe for me to drive another 150 miles with the light on?

2. if i clean the MAF and sort the problem out, do i have to go back to toyota to reset the ECU to make the light to go away?

Thanks a lot everyone

Ray :?

hey everyone,

right, my old SR (mum's currently driving it) was suffering from slow reaction for a few weeks, what i mean is, when u put your right foot down, the ecu had to think for about a second before the revs comes.. i immediately thought it might be a dirty MAF, but didnt clean it straight away. dad unplugged the battery a few days ago to reset it but the problem still exist.

two days ago i took my mums car and went up to nottingham with a few mate, went to birmingham today, and on our way back from birmingham, the engine management light came on. we managed to get back to nottingham with no problems, but i got no tools or anything to clean the MAF now, and i wont go back to MK (home) for another 2 days, and the 2 days coming i am looking at doing another 150 miles.

i've got two questions at the moment.

1. is it safe for me to drive another 150 miles with the light on?

2. if i clean the MAF and sort the problem out, do i have to go back to toyota to reset the ECU to make the light to go away?

Thanks a lot everyone

Ray :?

Seems like theres a spate of this happening to SR's at the mo! Mine came on last Sunday when I was on my way to Brands Hatch. Pulled over on the motorway and had a look at everything, as much as you could do without tools, etc! Had to drive bout another 50 odd miles to get there and another 100 odd to get back. It played on my mind a bit but the car drove as normal so I wasn't to worried. Got home, reset the ecu and it's been fine ever since. Did the light come back on after your dad had disconnected the Battery??

so u reset the ecu and the light went? before my dad disconnect the Battery, the light wasnt even on.. its just reacting very slow.

just got back from london and done another 200 miles after the light was on.. whats the name of the stuff that u use to clean the MAF and where can u buy it?

thx a lot

Ray

so u reset the ecu and the light went? before my dad disconnect the battery, the light wasnt even on.. its just reacting very slow.

just got back from london and done another 200 miles after the light was on.. whats the name of the stuff that u use to clean the MAF and where can u buy it?

thx a lot

Ray

Yeah got home and just disconnected the batt for a while, then reconnected it and everything was fine.

Never cleaned one before but is it possible to use an air jet or something similar? All your trying to do is clean the stubborn dirt and dust off.

Use compressed air or solvent cleaner.

You need no tools to re-set ECU... just pull the fuse out!

i was told by toyota to use surgical spirits on

That's correct! :thumbsup:

Cleaned mine today with surgical spirits (GBP 1.99 from Boots).

1. Use kitchen towel dipped with spirits to roughly clean the sensor.

2. Use a cotton bud dipped with spirits to wipe the temperature sensor.

3. Pour some spirits into a spray can and spray at the inside of the sensor, where you will find two thin wires

4. If you are careful-kinda-guy, very gently wipe the wires with cotton bud dipped with spirits.

5. Use kitchen to dry the sensor

Then just put it back into the air filter housing, and pull the fuse to reset the engine light.

Fingers crossed, the light should never come back on for a long while!

we had a similar prob with our GS we brought

you had to give the accelerator a dab to get the engine going before pulling away and the engine management light was on as well

we cleaned the MAF sensor and put new plugs in reset the ecu and all was fine, car drives perfect now :D