Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent Help 4 Newbie - Mr2

awster

hi,

im a newbie and im looking to purchase a mk2 mr2!

ive seen one i like and im going to view it on the weekend.

is a 1992 J reg 2.0 GTI 16v.

its a 2dr coupe, has sunroof, alloys, all electrics and full service history.

i just wanted to know - is this model a TURBO???

i definatley want a tubo, but is this 16v GTI coupe a turbo or not?!

sorry if sounds stupid. please help asap!

Thats not a turbo.

The turbo models are all imported and will be either:

GT Turbo - full leather trim

GTS Turbo - Cloth trim (lighter weight - quicker car)

gts is lighter than a gt turbo ??

how's that then ? Due to the leather seats ?

I know the tin roof version is lighter than the tbar due to the needed reinforcement of the tbar car...

The GTS doesn't have the toys such as Climate Control and all the electronic gizmo's which cut down and a lot of the weight....

get a GT then !! ( I have one )....

would rather have the toys than a slightly lighter car... at the end of the day a Turbo MR2 is fast as friggers anyway.

The GT had all the kit as standard, and the GT-S had them as options ..

The options were 1/2 leather seats, folding mirrors and steering fogs .. none of which weighs much anyhow.

I have a full weight list somewhere (got a history of the MR2 book at home) and seem to remember the T-Bar added 25 kilos ..

the gts models have air con as well. can't imagine !Removed! buying them without air con.

all genuine turbos are imports, so if it's a uk car such as gti-16 it's not a turbo.

g-limiteds are not turbos either.

personally i prefer the gt seats - more comfortable and nicer looking (i've got a gt).

t-bars can leak and they squeak, tin top ones don't.

25kg is nothing when you have a turbo .. as when you have a boost controller .. you just add a few more psi and it's all academic.

I know of a few UK turbo conversions, but the insurance is more costly than a Jap turbo.

I've owned a sunroof (Jap cars didn't have sunroof's, like UK cars didn't have tin tops) and a T-Bar .. and been in/driven a few tin tops. I'd go for T-Bar every time as I'm 6'4" and with a helmet on it'd be a tad cramped in a tin top.

And when on a track .. take the roof off and leave it behind.

B.

With 2 amps and 2x10" subs .. which are quite heavy ..

The reason for the T-Bar models having more weight is partly because of the extra Strut bracing needed to stiffen the chassis. You will also find all Rev3 + models (T-Bar, Sunroof or Tintop) even heavier than their older counterparts as they incorporated side impact bars. Air bags were optional here but with Rev4 onwards they became standard adding even more weight...

even heavier than their older counterparts as they incorporated side impact bars. Air bags were optional here but with Rev4 onwards they became standard adding even more weight...

Believe it or not I actually made sure mine was at least a rev4 because of the side impact bars :hokus-pokus:

Saved my life in an old volvo, and now I shall never drive a car without side impact protection!

I dont really care if my twin airbags weight an extra bit, if it saves my passengers face being mooshed onto the dash then its gotta be worth the 0.0000000001 second slower to 60 :lol:

When I bought mine I didn't even think of safety features :eek: I was just out for my dream car B)

It was only after Nicola and I swapped cars to see how each of us felt in different cars. Hers is a Rev2 UK T-Bar and mine is a Rev3 Sunroof (Moonroof as Toyota call it). Nicola noticed that my car was heavier and i found the opposite with hers. My brakes are much sharper than Nicola's too. I couldn't feel any difference between the two performance wise even though the Rev2 is meant to have more torque but a lower bhp figure (158bhp - Rev2, 173bhp - Rev3). My car drives as if it's on rails, I can rarely get the back end to kick out. Whereas Nicola's is like on ice all the time, but we think it's down the crappy (and worn) tyres on it at the moment. This obviously can make some fun driving :lol:

The end result in our experiment is that we each prefer our own cars :P

After crashing a fair few MR2's I am not to concerned about SIB, I've smacked them sideways, full frontals, had people shut from the rear and rolled them and they always do exactly what they're supposed to and let me get out of the car without injury.

I can not praise the security desing on the MR2's highly enough, luckily haven't smashed this one but rolling a Mk1 with the roof off was a bit scary....

After crashing a fair few MR2's I am not to concerned about SIB, I've smacked them sideways, full frontals, had people shut from the rear and rolled them and they always do exactly what they're supposed to and let me get out of the car without injury.

REmind me never to go in, or near a car with you in it.

I can not praise the security desing on the MR2's highly enough, luckily haven't smashed this one but rolling a Mk1 with the roof off was a bit scary....

If I ever see a mad looking bloke with crazy ***** hair in a MR2, then you'll won't see me for sh*t. I'll be going as fast as poss in the opposite direction. :P

I haven't had a crash in over 4 years now so put those silly driving days behind me :D

Oh well they say you have to learn the car, I guess I just took a while longer than some and used to drive like a silly :censor: all the time....

Ryan, when was your bro's SC done? Didn't think that was 4 years ago?